Confirmed with Link: [ARZ/COL] Darcy Kuemper for Conor Timmins, 2022 1st, 2024 3rd (conditional)

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Just listened to BA on Doug and Wolf and he cited Loui Eriksson as a leader who’s won a cup, Andrew Ladd as a leader who’s won multiple cups, Jay Beagle as a leader with a cup, and Anton Stralman as a really good veteran leader. This was after they asked him where the leadership would be coming from after all of these trades involving veterans leaving town.

I can’t tell if it’s lip-service. He says Tourigny is going to build a culture and these guys are bought in. That they’ve been there before and know how. And that many of them are in their last year and are really motivated to give it one last shot to earn one last contract.

Maybe he’s just bluffing and giving answers that our clueless local media doesn’t know enough to question. Maybe he’s just saying that while he shops for better options. But maybe he truly is just going to roll into the season with this mish mash of aged misfits and obscure tweeners. If so, he REALLY wants a bottom three finish and best available lottery odds.

I didn’t think it would be this shameless. Until five minutes ago, I assumed there were a few more deals he was working on to make this all at least look a little more presentable.

Maybe castoffs, tweeners, and last chancers will at least produce honest efforts. But dang, they’re gonna lose A LOT.
That is exactly what you want to happen. Shane Wright will change this franchise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That is exactly what you want to happen. Shane Wright will change this franchise.
Yeah. I get that. I’m asking for Nick Ritchie, Casey Cizikas, and Jon Merrill, here. I’m not talking Dougie Hamilton. I’m just looking for it to appear a little less obvious while also providing some grit and keep the games a tad closer.

It seems to me BA really doesn’t want to make any multi year commitments of any kinds. One year deals exclusively.

Maybe he wanted to be as bad as possible for one year to see if he can luck out in the lottery and get Shane Wright. Then maybe turn around and use his 50-60m in cap space to bring in some supports for Wright and make sure there’s no Edmonton Oilers sequel in the desert.

At some point you have to pull up out of dive before you crash and burn.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ideally this is like the Leafs tank for Matthews. Just a single really bad, really well executed year at the bottom, and then climb back up.

That said, I don’t think we are finished UFA shopping either.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
2022 draft is going to be wicked

Hopefully, that's using wicked in a positive sense.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I just pulled up the Feb 16 Avs v Knights game where Timmins logged 20 minutes. I'll provide a scouting report that looks like it was done by someone that doesn't know how to scout. :nod:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe castoffs, tweeners, and last chancers will at least produce honest efforts. But dang, they’re gonna lose A LOT.

IMO, Armstrong can't lose. If the team plays like everyone expects, then we get great draft asset return. On the other hand, if this bunch of misfits somehow puts together a solid season or miraculously makes the playoffs, he looks like a genius and that scrappy, "put it on the board for motivation" culture we had in 2012 will make a reappearance. I don't know if folks remember, but nobody in their right minds thought that a team with "washed" veterans like Whitney and Aucoin, a super-inconsistent mid-range goalie in Mike Smith, and a looming bankruptcy would go anywhere as far as they did.

I think Armstrong is playing with house money, in more ways than one.

rt

May 13, 2004
IMO, Armstrong can't lose. If the team plays like everyone expects, then we get great draft asset return. On the other hand, if this bunch of misfits somehow puts together a solid season or miraculously makes the playoffs, he looks like a genius and that scrappy, "put it on the board for motivation" culture we had in 2012 will make a reappearance. I don't know if folks remember, but nobody in their right minds thought that a team with "washed" veterans like Whitney and Aucoin, a super-inconsistent mid-range goalie in Mike Smith, and a looming bankruptcy would go anywhere as far as they did.

I don’t care how much unity and gumption they’ve got, playoffs ain’t happening. LOL. Their moon landing would be 82 points.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just listened to BA on Doug and Wolf and he cited Loui Eriksson as a leader who’s won a cup, Andrew Ladd as a leader who’s won multiple cups, Jay Beagle as a leader with a cup, and Anton Stralman as a really good veteran leader. This was after they asked him where the leadership would be coming from after all of these trades involving veterans leaving town.

I can’t tell if it’s lip-service. He says Tourigny is going to build a culture and these guys are bought in. That they’ve been there before and know how. And that many of them are in their last year and are really motivated to give it one last shot to earn one last contract.

Maybe he’s just bluffing and giving answers that our clueless local media doesn’t know enough to question. Maybe he’s just saying that while he shops for better options. But maybe he truly is just going to roll into the season with this mish mash of aged misfits and obscure tweeners. If so, he REALLY wants a bottom three finish and best available lottery odds.

I didn’t think it would be this shameless. Until five minutes ago, I assumed there were a few more deals he was working on to make this all at least look a little more presentable.

GM's always give lip service. He also said the Yote's should be fighting for a playoff spot next year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don’t care how much unity and gumption they’ve got, playoffs ain’t happening. LOL. Their moon landing would be 82 points.
I think the over under is 50 points. If this team manages 82 points, BA will be GM of the century and our new coach will win coach of the century.

Reactions: 87turbobuick

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Good time to be a Yote. At least he is speaking the language.:)
That part made me laugh. First thing I thought was "unless you're a Yote fan and plan on attending games in the next couple years". They really should come out with some kind of discount at least for season ticket holders. Like a free dog and soda every game or x% off food and drinks, free parking, something... Call it the Rebuild Discount, Discount for the Future, Loyalty Discount or something like that. I don't think you can cancel if you already paid so they are stuck watching garbage hockey. They deserve something back from the organization imo.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009

If the expiring vets do well enough, BA can then trade them for the next year’s expiring vets or low rounders. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That part made me laugh. First thing I thought was "unless you're a Yote fan and plan on attending games in the next couple years". They really should come out with some kind of discount at least for season ticket holders. Like a free dog and soda every game or x% off food and drinks, free parking, something... Call it the Rebuild Discount, Discount for the Future, Loyalty Discount or something like that. I don't think you can cancel if you already paid so they are stuck watching garbage hockey. They deserve something back from the organization imo.
Every year they miss the playoffs they get 10% off next years season tickets. First year 10%, 2nd. year 20%. and so on. Put their money where their mouth is, not the other way around. Screw the free food, that costs them peanuts. I want them to feel the pain a bit more, like us season ticket holders have for years. We have been sold a bill of goods, a defective bill of goods.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Are you done YET?!?

Just finished. ;)
  • 2nd powerplay unit; appears to be a rare occurrence and driven by injuries
  • Did some PKing as well
  • Average speed; defends well
  • Jumps up on the play when the opportunity is there.
  • Flubbed a pass on PP causing a turn over; several shaky puck handling exhibits even when not contested
  • Not a frequent hitter or shot-blocker
  • Nothing flashy and nothing jumped out as either a huge positive or negative. I could see him playing significant minutes for the Yotes this season considering the options available.
Oh yeah, Avs won with 39 seconds remaining. Fleury takes the loss. Probably why he was traded on Twitter. :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Just finished. ;)
  • 2nd powerplay unit; appears to be a rare occurrence and driven by injuries
  • Did some PKing as well
  • Average speed; defends well
  • Jumps up on the play when the opportunity is there.
  • Flubbed a pass on PP causing a turn over; several shaky puck handling exhibits even when not contested
  • Not a frequent hitter or shot-blocker
  • Nothing flashy and nothing jumped out as either a huge positive or negative. I could see him playing significant minutes for the Yotes this season considering the options available.
Oh yeah, Avs won with 39 seconds remaining. Fleury takes the loss. Probably why he was traded on Twitter. :laugh:
How was the hunched skating? That was the thing that really killed my when he was an amateur. That and often he quit moving his feet. Lots of reaching.

rt

May 13, 2004
I embrace the rebuild. I'm looking forward to watching how BA crafts a team. I don't want to see any more improvement to the team this year. I want any further trades to be mindful of that and for them to improve the team from next year on.
I hear ya. But isn't there a happy medium? Can't we at least sign some okay UFAs to 1-2 year deals? Maybe trade for a 25 year old goalie with some long-term upside?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Hopefully the whole concussion thing is behind him and he plays with confidence. From reading one of the articles someone posted it sounded like at the end of last year he started feeling more comfortable and playing with confidence, and he was looking good to Bednar. Sounds like on another less stacked team he would have already been playing top 4 minutes to develop his game even more. Seems pretty certain he will be playing top 4 here and hopefully he can stay healthy.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
How was the hunched skating? That was the thing that really killed my when he was an amateur. That and often he quit moving his feet. Lots of reaching.

Can't say I noticed it, but my credentials scouting players is suspect. At times he showed good speed, both coming back to defend and taking the puck up ice. In the defensive zone, he covered well in front of the net, working to gain position and lifting sticks as needed. While he didn't contribute to any scoring, he definitely was not a defensive liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00