News Article: Arvidsson signs 7 Year/29.75 million deal

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Atta boy Poile. Worst case scenario is he becomes another Smith in a few years down the line, but this is a giant steal if he can manage more 30-30-60 seasons.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Woukd rather give him 5 and know it wasn't a one hear fluke than to have him not and have this contract.

We shall see.

I agree it's a gamble but the same one he took with our D core and you saw how well that turned out. Players can decline at any point, look at Wilson...we had all kinds of time to evaluate him but he was still not worth the contract we gave him.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Even if 30/60 is a fluke, I think he's safe for 20-25 goals and 45-50 points, and $4.25 is exactly in line with that type of production.

It's another good signing, and leaves plenty on the table to lock up Joey long-term 8x8!!!

Let's just hope Johansen doesn't get an offer sheet.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
YES! I love Arviddson. He is just such a fun player to watch even if he is diminutive.

As a fan, I love this deal. I hope it doesn't blow up in the team's face, but I think it has more risk for VA than the Preds in terms of value left on the table.

---Added the below (posted on main board thread as well)

Poile works an angle well:

1) Josi: Just coming off a 2 concussion season - 7 year contract undermarket.

2) Arviddson: Overager, coming off a huge year - 7 year contract undermarket.

3) Ekholm: several years in the dog house, has a good year as a 2nd pairing defenseman - multiyear deal signed, undermarket.

4) Ellis: Several years bouncing on 2nd/3rd pairing, has a good year - multi year deal signed, undermarket.

These deals can blow up, but in the above 4 players, super high work ethic and caliber of players. 3 of the 4 have worked out splendidly so far. Hopefully the same will happen for VA.

I could probably but Forsberg on the list because 6 million was low at the time and seems low now.

Last edited:

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Leaves the Preds about 15.1 million to sign Fisher, Johansen, and Watson.

3.5, 8.5 and 1.1= 13.1 with 2m of space. Remember all those anguished posts about how the Preds were going to run into the wall this year on the cap, along with intricate details and data showing Poile had screwed the pooch? One Neal exposure and one Wilson dump... problem solved.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This is fantastic. There is some risk here but also some potential massive reward. And in my honest opinion, barring injury, Arvy is worth $3m at his floor so this is great value.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Love this deal and fully expect Arvy to earn his was to an A on his jersey within the next two years.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Love this deal and fully expect Arvy to earn his was to an A on his jersey within the next two years.

We may have an extra A this year, it depends on Fisher who I believe is going to retire at this point. Otherwise he would have signed already.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
We may have an extra A this year, it depends on Fisher who I believe is going to retire at this point. Otherwise he would have signed already.

Yep, good point. Im inclined to think he is going to resign myself. His love for the game is still too great, I think (that locker room speech when they lost ... man...lots of passion there). I'm guessing he is just looking to see what the Preds have left in terms of room to pay him for one more year.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Oh...I was pretty sure he'd get a bridge deal. I like it thought.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's gamble, but so would signing a 1 or 2 year deal with him. If he hits 25-30 goals again, he would be asking for 5+ next summer.
Exactly. You're going to gamble either way. When he got to arbitration, it seemed like the bridge scenario was coming, which would have been 1 or 2 years at a lower cap hit than this... but... if he had kept up the 30/30 pace on the bridge, he'd be a $6M player on the long-term deal that followed.

Poile is showing some faith in Arvidsson, and Arvidsson is showing that he wants to be a Pred, and those are both good things. Even if Arvidsson settles out as more of a 20/20 sparkplug, that's still not terrible money for that kind of player. The upside is another great long-term contract on a middle-core player.

It's a gamble, but a well-calculated one where the upside trumps the downside risk.

Now the rest of the details will also be interesting to see. I don't think Arvidsson had leverage to get big NTC/NMC clauses, beneficial loading, money piled into non-lockout years and signing bonuses, but who knows. Not a big deal either way for the Preds, but they can mitigate any residual risk on the contract with some of that structural stuff too.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Maybe losing Neal gave a little more space to sign Arvy long term.

Maybe that team friendly Hook contract is paying for some Arvy Sauce!

If he keeps producing and can bounce up from all the hits this will be a fun ride. My favorite contract extension of the summer.

2wrlt3r.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad