Music: Artist Discussion & Rank the Discography: Kanye West

What is your pick for the best album in Kanye West's discography?

• Graduation (2007)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 808s & Heartbreak (2008)

• Watch the Throne (2011)

• The Life of Pablo (2016)

• ye (2018)

• Jesus is King (2019)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
The Beatles Thread - Revolver (10 of 27 votes)

Kanye West's Discography:

The College Dropout (2004)
Late Registration (2005)
Graduation (2007)
808s & Heartbreak (2008)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
Watch the Throne (2011)
Yeezus (2013)
The Life of Pablo (2016)
ye (2018)
Jesus is King (2019)

One of the lengthiest and most substantive careers in hip-hop. An icon, a cultural titan, a lyrical master - a misunderstood genius? For me, he has three absolute masterclasses - but my favourite is Yeezus. It's raw experimental, intense, and absolutely vital.

Next rate: Black Sabbath

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
An icon, a cultural titan, a lyrical master - a misunderstood genius? For me, he has three absolute masterclasses - but my favourite is Yeezus. It's raw experimental, intense, and absolutely vital.

I know just about nothing about his music, but with such praise I went to YouTube to give it a try. Yeezus, first track.

It's too many hoes in this house of sin
Real **** back in the house again
Black Timbs all on your couch again
Black dick all in your spouse again
And I know she like chocolate men

To each their own, but I had enough, exactly one minute in. Lyrical genius he is not.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I like some of his early stuff okay. All Falls Down is a great song and an even better music video. But when he flexes his experimental muscle, I largely find him supremely weak. He's lent his name to a number of godawful stuff and his impact on radio pop I find bad. Talented, sure. But would never, ever think of him as nearing anywhere near genius. Always struck me as a guy who has great taste and a wide palette of influence - for example, he's sampled Can's Sing Swan Song before, seeked out Shintaro Sakamoto in NYC - but whose own instincts and sensibilities really aren't all that. IMO, of course.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I know just about nothing about his music, but with such praise I went to YouTube to give it a try. Yeezus, first track.

It's too many hoes in this house of sin
Real **** back in the house again
Black Timbs all on your couch again
Black dick all in your spouse again
And I know she like chocolate men

To each their own, but I had enough, exactly one minute in. Lyrical genius he is not.

Critique of Pure Yeezy.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
8/10:
The College Dropout
Late Registration
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

7/10:
Graduation

5/10:
The Life of Pablo (original version)
Watch the Throne
Kids See Ghosts

4/10:
Yeezus
Ye

3/10:
808s and Heartbreak

Haven't bothered to listen to Jesus is King or the updated TLOP aside from Famous, of which I prefer the original version.

Kanye is one of the most overrated artists in music imo. Does he have some good albums? Yes. Is he a pretty great producer? Yes. Is that enough for him to be revered as some godlike artist like he often is? Probably not. There are many artists in hip-hop alone who have a discography I would take over Kanye's.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
I listen 5 of his albums semi-regularly, and those five would be ranked something like:

1. Late Registration
2. MBDTF

3. The Life of Pablo
4. College Dropout

5. Graduation

I wouldn’t actually call Graduation a great album, but I’m actually more fond of it than TLoP or College Dropout (which is also a very sentimental album for me - the best six or seven tracks are just food your soul!)

The sheer excess of MBDTF can get quite ridiculous at times (RZA’s feature on ”So Appalled” is hilariously bad for example), but there’s just too much ear candy and bizarre moments that turn into greatness (Nicki Minaj on ”Monster”, the second halfs of ”Devil in a New Dress” and ”Blame Game”…)

Late Registration is too solid to pass, though. Bizarrely consistent for its bloated length and tracklist. Greatest pop rap record ever?

Aaand here’s my top-10 tracks of this rather talented asshat:

1. Late
2. Champion
3. No More Parties in LA
4. All of the Lights
5. Slow Jamz
6. So Appalled
7. Flashing Lights
8. We Don’t Care
9. Devil in a New Dress
10. We Major

Reactions: Saturated Fats

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
MBDTF is a super solid hip hop album.

IMO if you have positive feelings towards rap in general you will find many positive things about his music.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
MBDTF is a super solid hip hop album.

IMO if you have positive feelings towards rap in general you will find many positive things about his music.

Went and tried the first two songs from that one. Nah, not my cup of tea either, Gorgeous is IMO just a pretty bad song, and Dark Fantasy sounds ironic, it's part cheesy and part kitsch, feels like something produced by Meatloaf. Meatloafy hip-hop (oh crap, I just listened to the All of the Lights interlude... This stuff is not going to age well). I feel old. Rap's not my go-to genre for sure, but I have nothing against it (I mostly like fast rap as I think it's often prodigious - I can even listen to some of the most stupid lyrics if it fits the overal tone).

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
8/10:
The College Dropout
Late Registration
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

7/10:
Graduation

5/10:
The Life of Pablo (original version)
Watch the Throne
Kids See Ghosts

4/10:
Yeezus
Ye

3/10:
808s and Heartbreak

Haven't bothered to listen to Jesus is King or the updated TLOP aside from Famous, of which I prefer the original version.

Kanye is one of the most overrated artists in music imo. Does he have some good albums? Yes. Is he a pretty great producer? Yes. Is that enough for him to be revered as some godlike artist like he often is? Probably not. There are many artists in hip-hop alone who have a discography I would take over Kanye's.
I think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a notch below his first two.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Eveyerthing from Kanye through TLOP is great(with MBDTF being incredible), and often times influential music.

Everything after TLOP hasn't been good enough to make Kanye's personality bearable. He went from what I thought was maybe a misunderstood artist to just a dude who sounds like an idiot every time he opens his mouth.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
College Dropout
Graduation
MBDTF

Those are the top 3.

Yeezus was crap other than like a song or two. Same goes for 808s. ye and Jesus Is King are completely forgettable. I may have liked a few songs on those but can't remember anything from them.

Late Registration, Watch The Throne and Life of Pablo fall in between somewhere. With LR being the best of those 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad