Speculation: Article: Should and will the Canucks trade Tanev?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah Tanev to the Leafs I would want something like Nylander + Prospect d-man (Carrick, Valiev, Percy etc). Not really realistic though cause our ownership wants to compete.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Let's do a hypothetical based on a similar valued package. Let's say the Oil are hovering around a playoff spot midway through the season, and the Nucks are in the basement. Let's also assume that Yakupov - now getting ample time in the top 6 and in a better dressing room environment with the removal of Hall - is having a bounce back year and is on pace for 25ish goals and 50 points. Would this package do it...

Yak + Reinhart + 2017 1st?

Yak- even at 50 points is not enough.

Reinhart- Bottom paring Dman.

2017 1st- Lets be honest here the Oilers are no longer a lottery team, especially with a full year of a healthy Mcjeesus. I bet that pick is mid round now.

So basically we get a mid 1st, a bottom paring dman and a guy that hopefully put up 50 points, for one of the best defensive dmen in the league who is signed to a very good contract for multiple years and we are giving him to a division rival?

You want Tanev, think Leon Draisaitl.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Yak- even at 50 points is not enough.

Reinhart- Bottom paring Dman.

2017 1st- Lets be honest here the Oilers are no longer a lottery team, especially with a full year of a healthy Mcjeesus. I bet that pick is mid round now.

So basically we get a mid 1st, a bottom paring dman and a guy that hopefully put up 50 points, for one of the best defensive dmen in the league who is signed to a very good contract for multiple years and we are giving him to a division rival?

You want Tanev, think Leon Draisaitl.

Easy now, Oiler fans are still settling in to the idea of how much they paid for Larsson. This will still be an overpayment in their eyes. Maybe not Chia's though.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No.

Why? Because, the ROI simply won't be there for Tanev as was the case for Larson. Tanev doesn't have any hype or inflated value whatsoever due to his non-flashy style of game. As result, the only people that really truly understand Tanev's terrific hockey game, are those living within the 604 area code.

That's not to say that Tanev wouldn't be of interest to other teams' GM's, but we'd be disappointed in any return that we'd get for Tanev. He's very similar to Jannick Hansen in this regard.

Canucks should keep Tanev unless they get an absolutely mind blowing offer (which won't happen).

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
No.

Why? Because, the ROI simply won't be there for Tanev as was the case for Larson. Tanev doesn't have any hype or inflated value whatsoever due to his non-flashy style of game. As result, the only people that really truly understand Tanev's terrific hockey game, are those living within the 604 area code.

That's not to say that Tanev wouldn't be of interest to other teams' GM's, but we'd be disappointed in any return that we'd get for Tanev. He's very similar to Jannick Hansen in this regard.

Canucks should keep Tanev unless they get an absolutely mind blowing offer (which won't happen).

Or you know if you followed advanced stats at all youd realize Tanev is one of their darlings and is quite highly regarded by quite a few.
But when you speak to hear yourself speak, I don't expect you to understand

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
One thing I am glad to see, as a Nucks fans, is Tanev's value being recognized in this thread.

With a non-flashy, behind-the-scenes style, one sometimes assumes that his true value and status as a top-tier defenceman would be lost. Glad to see it isn't.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Or you know if you followed advanced stats at all youd realize Tanev is one of their darlings and is quite highly regarded by quite a few.
But when you speak to hear yourself speak, I don't expect you to understand

I'm not entirely sure why you decided to eat an egg sandwich and then break wind in my face with your post, but "c'est la vie" as they say. Just because I post in threads and don't necessarily respond to others, doesn't mean that I only speak to hear myself speak. It's Summer. I understandably choose to spend my time doing other things than spending hours on here debating. I guess I should apologize as coming across as "aloof" on here? Who knows.

Anyway - to my post. I think the NHL did a recent "Top 50" or "Top 100" players in the NHL, and Tanev wasn't anywhere to be found, while a guy like Tyson Barrie was ranked quite high.

Hence - that is why I came to the conclusion that Chris Tanev is an excellent hockey player that is underrated.

Last month, there were rumors floating around that the Canucks were interested in Barrie and that Tanev+ would be the asking price. I argued that while Barrie was a better overall defenseman than Tanev, the Canucks would have to add too much to the 'plus' because Tanev is underrated. Barrie is better than Tanev, but the gap is not nearly as much as anyone outside the 604 area code would have you believe.

Again - just my opinion. No need to fart in my face thank you very much.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I have a feeling Buffalo will be sending Kane, Ennis, and Franson to Van for Tanev. No idea why but I just think something like that will happen. And with Benning's value system and pressure to win now, he may be enamoured with Kane's skill set and low on Tanev's analytics.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I have a feeling Buffalo will be sending Kane, Ennis, and Franson to Van for Tanev. No idea why but I just think something like that will happen. And with Benning's value system and pressure to win now, he may be enamoured with Kane's skill set and low on Tanev's analytics.

That's pretty lousy value for Tanev

On a side note, I like how you came up with the trade cuz you have a feeling! I'm pretty sure that's eklund territory. . . Only I consider you a more reliable source

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
That's pretty lousy value for Tanev

On a side note, I like how you came up with the trade cuz you have a feeling! I'm pretty sure that's eklund territory. . . Only I consider you a more reliable source ��

:)

Here's how I came to this

Tanev is likely not seen as great by Benning since he thinks analytics are a joke. And may very well see Kris Russell as a replacement for Tanev. Seeing as the ownership want to win now, trading the non sexy defenseman for 2 flashy forwards and an offensive defenseman looks amazing if you ignore anything but the stats.

Likely idea trade:

To VAN:
Ennis
Kane(1mil retained)
Franson(50% retained)

To BUF:
Burrows
Tanev
and a 2018 5th (continues Benning's strange need to add late picks to every trade)

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Tanev is likely not seen as great by Benning since he thinks analytics are a joke. And may very well see Kris Russell as a replacement for Tanev. Seeing as the ownership want to win now, trading the non sexy defenseman for 2 flashy forwards and an offensive defenseman looks amazing if you ignore anything but the stats.
This statement is a joke, anyone who watches Canucks games would know how valuable he is to our defense core. It was a tire fire without Tanev

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I don't understand this logic..."We have this really good, young, cost-effective player who's everything you could ever want in a defenseman. Should we trade him?"

Unless you do a Weber-for-Subban swap, if you trade Tanev you're just going to end up with a big hole on defense and put yourself in the market for a Tanev type defenseman. So...why do it at all?

Oh please, for the love of god, please do a deal like this Benning. I don't know if he's as dumb as Bergevin, but it would be entertaining to say the least. :popcorn:

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

Likely idea trade:

To VAN:
Ennis
Kane(1mil retained)
Franson(50% retained)

To BUF:
Burrows
Tanev
and a 2018 5th (continues Benning's strange need to add late picks to every trade)
He adds 2nd round picks in his trades and it wont be any different if he trades for Kane. Probably Virtanen and a 2nd or Tanev and a 2nd. Benning gets his eyes set on a certain player and will overpay for him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He adds 2nd round picks in his trades and it wont be any different if he trades for Kane. Probably Virtanen and a 2nd or Tanev and a 2nd. Benning gets his eyes set on a certain player and will overpay for him.

If thats the return for Tanev, after what we paid for Gudbranson, and what Larsson cost Edmonton, I will officially be a Press fan.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
After seeing what Taylor Hall returned, I want a lot for the Canucks most steady defenceman. He's a tier above Larsson and that's being generous to Larsson.

This is simply not true. Tanev is what he is, a very solid defensive D man and better than Larsson in that regard. Larsson however has a much bigger offensive upside. I see Larsson turning into another Hedman.
That is why Larsson returned a guy like Hall. Tanev would never garner a big return like that.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This is simply not true. Tanev is what he is, a very solid defensive D man and better than Larsson in that regard. Larsson however has a much bigger offensive upside. I see Larsson turning into another Hedman.
That is why Larsson returned a guy like Hall. Tanev would never garner a big return like that.

Tanev is a #2 Dman, there was a poll on here in which most people agreed. He was also a top paring dman on team Canada, and on the Canucks. How does a top paring RHD not garner a big return like that?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Tanev is a #2 Dman, there was a poll on here in which most people agreed. He was also a top paring dman on team Canada, and on the Canucks. How does a top paring RHD not garner a big return like that?

He's not a prospect, so his value is lowered.

He plays for a bad team, so by singlehandedly not float this trainwreck, his value is lowered.

He's a Canuck. And Benning owns his contract.

We seem to be talking with Oiler and Leaf fans, so we automatically should drop our asking price by half.

While elite defensively and an advanced stats darling, by not scoring 30+ goals as a defender, he can't be called a top pairing D when Subban, Karlsson and Doughty are all still playing.

All said utterly sarcastically of course.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
No.

What part of Larssons game is flashy?

Over a very similar career length their point totals are also very similar. Tanev has scored more goals.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well, EDM did just trade a better forward for a worse defender.

As an outsider fan whose seen quite abit of Larson and more of Tanev, you're wrong. I dont know if it's because Vancouver has fell into the realm of being a bad team or what, but Tanev went from being incredibly underrated to incredibly overrated fast.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
As an outsider fan whose seen quite abit of Larson and more of Tanev, you're wrong. I dont know if it's because Vancouver has fell into the realm of being a bad team or what, but Tanev went from being incredibly underrated to incredibly overrated fast.

Tanev is unquestionably better than Larsson at this point.

Larsson has a few years to close the gap, but right now, Tanev's better.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Edmonton sees Larsson as a #1 so I would not expect a guy who is top 5 at his position who still has a bunch of potential for Tanev.

Overfleas

Jul 28, 2016
Tanev is one of the few veteran Canucks who would be projected to remain an important player when the kids have had a few years of experience. He doesn’t have the offensive upside that would tempt a significant overpayment from another team so why trade him? The Hall-Larsson trade shouldn’t be a guideline for his worth as everyone knows the Oilers were in a desperate position.

The Canucks ought to be competitive in five years with any luck, provided they develop young players reasonably and have veterans like Tanev on the team. How many defencemen on average could you confidently say will turn out as good at playing defence as Tanev during their draft year? Very few, so why gamble by trading him only to produce a new problem to solve? He’s just a very smart player that can seemingly gel with any LHD and make the pairing work and there’s no obvious reason why that aptitude should leave him. The Canucks don’t have many keepers but he’s one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad