Speculation: Article: Should and will the Canucks trade Tanev?

Overfleas

Jul 28, 2016
As an outsider fan whose seen quite abit of Larson and more of Tanev, you're wrong. I dont know if it's because Vancouver has fell into the realm of being a bad team or what, but Tanev went from being incredibly underrated to incredibly overrated fast.

I'm not in a position to reliably compare Tanev with Larsson but somewhat agree with Tanev being overrated as of late. I'd get behind the argument that Tanev is an elite complimentary player but he's not got an offensive game beyond sending the puck up the ice. Larsson does seem to have more going on in that department and frankly, we Canucks fans should be acutely aware right now how valuable offensive competence in a good D-man is. Perhaps we've just forgotten.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Edmonton sees Larsson as a #1 so I would not expect a guy who is top 5 at his position who still has a bunch of potential for Tanev.

Tanev is a better Dman than Larsson no? So doesn't it stand to reason that if a team like Edmonton saw him as a #1 (which by the way I have never heard before) then how the can the same not be said for Tanev?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I'm not in a position to reliably compare Tanev with Larsson but somewhat agree with Tanev being overrated as of late. I'd get behind the argument that Tanev is an elite complimentary player but he's not got an offensive game beyond sending the puck up the ice. Larsson does seem to have more going on in that department and frankly, we Canucks fans should be acutely aware right now how valuable offensive competence in a good D-man is. Perhaps we've just forgotten.

He is a defensively elite #2 Dman, we all recognize this, nobody is saying he is a #1 or anything. Don't quite understand how that is overrating?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Tanev is a better Dman than Larsson no? So doesn't it stand to reason that if a team like Edmonton saw him as a #1 (which by the way I have never heard before) then how the can the same not be said for Tanev?

It seems to be the general consesus that the Oilers overpaid to get Larsson, and Chiarelli's claims about him also have been called 'not true' and don't actually match up with what he is. He also talked a lot about Larsson's potential.

The Oilers paid for potential("I think he’s only scratched the surface"-Chiarelli) and a guy they see as a puck mover. Tanev doesn't really have either of those. I think the Larsson/Hall trade is one in a million and I would not expect it to set the market price. No other team is as desperate for defense like the Oilers.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It seems to be the general consesus that the Oilers overpaid to get Larsson, and Chiarelli's claims about him also have been called 'not true' and don't actually match up with what he is. He also talked a lot about Larsson's potential.

The Oilers paid for potential("I think he’s only scratched the surface"-Chiarelli) and a guy they see as a puck mover. Tanev doesn't really have either of those. I think the Larsson/Hall trade is one in a million and I would not expect it to set the market price. No other team is as desperate for defense like the Oilers.

Fair enough.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Don't know why they'd trade him, I do believe Vancouver needs to do a reboot/rebuild, but Tanev is young enough and a good D-man. I guess if you got blown away with assets, aside from that keep the good young D.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It can't imagine why Vancouver would trade him. He's arguably their best player.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It can't imagine why Vancouver would trade him. He's arguably their best player.

Behind only Henrik Sedin, and not by a lot in terms of effectiveness. The guy is so, so good. So so so so so so so so good. And he's STILL underrated league round. He's the PERFECT compliment to a d-man who likes to jump up in the play. He's also fantastic with another shutdown d-man as well...

Him with Rielly didn't allow a goal the whole tournament in the world championships. That says something.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/6/2/chr...pionship-teammates-for-gold-medal-performance

People REALLY need to watch him thoroughly and realise just how important he is to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad