Confirmed with Link: Artem Anisimov Signs PTO

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As someone who made close to 40 million dollars, why would you choose to do this?
I can't speak for AA but a few reasons come to mind,

1. 35 is young to retire in life.

2. Out of $40 mill he probably only saw $20 mill tops over 15 years. Who knows how much he has left. A million today is not like a million 15 years ago.

3. Guys my age pay to play. He may just really enjoy competing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

2. Out of $40 mill he probably only saw $20 mill tops over 15 years. Who knows how much he has left. A million today is not like a million 15 years ago.

#2 is actually really important to understand. Based on where he was living and playing (Chicago, NY and then Ottawa), it's likely his take home, after taxes, agents, etc, was closer to $15m. Which is crazy to think about but probably true.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

#2 is actually really important to understand. Based on where he was living and playing (Chicago, NY and then Ottawa), it's likely his take home, after taxes, agents, etc, was closer to $15m. Which is crazy to think about but probably true.
Even if he has "only" 5 million of that in the bank he should be able to safely draw pretty comfortably in the six figures. I get the competition thing, and I get not wanting to totally retire, but it's crazy to me that he wants to ride busses around AHL cities for what I presume is a five figure salary as opposed to staying with his family, taking up triathalons or something, and charging rich parents $200/hour to teach their 11 year olds hockey skills (in fairness, no clue what he can actually charge for that).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Looking at Arties stats and I do not see much of a drop off. He has been a consistent 15 goal 30 point guy. Even last season in Russia and the AHL he was productive. He may surprise our coaches.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Even if he has "only" 5 million of that in the bank he should be able to safely draw pretty comfortably in the six figures. I get the competition thing, and I get not wanting to totally retire, but it's crazy to me that he wants to ride busses around AHL cities for what I presume is a five figure salary as opposed to staying with his family, taking up triathalons or something, and charging rich parents $200/hour to teach their 11 year olds hockey skills (in fairness, no clue what he can actually charge for that).
He may not have $5 mill left if he made $15 mill over 15 years. Few athletes save 33% of their take home pay.

Reactions: Greg02

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I had to read the thread title 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

1704225469071.png
r

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Looking at Arties stats and I do not see much of a drop off. He has been a consistent 15 goal 30 point guy. Even last season in Russia and the AHL he was productive. He may surprise our coaches.
Detroit had him on a PTO three months ago and released him. Have to think Anisimov had his best chance there.

Couldn’t catch with Torts’ Flyers the year before that, or the Avalanche in 2021. These were all teams lacking depth and with plenty of cap space.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Detroit had him on a PTO three months ago and released him. Have to think Anisimov had his best chance there.

Couldn’t catch with Torts’ Flyers the year before that, or the Avalanche in 2021. These were all teams lacking depth and with plenty of cap space.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I haven't seen him play in forever but he did play in 2021. Its a tryout. Either he will look good or he wont. I wouldn't go by Torts alone. Torts wouldn't have any room for Zooks or Gabs.

Reactions: Avery16

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers should give him league minimum. A better option than Bonino on the 3rd line. He can at least score a little
No, he's not a better option than Bonino. There's a reason Arty hasn't played in the NHL since 2021.

He's on a PTO in the AHL. That's along ass way from getting an NHL contract and playing for the Rangers.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I haven't seen him play in forever but he did play in 2021. Its a tryout. Either he will look good or he wont. I wouldn't go by Torts alone. Torts wouldn't have any room for Zooks or Gabs.
I’m hopeful too. His AHL stats from last season seem promising. I just can’t square that info with his last three NHL PTO fails.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know the story in the OP says it, but the title should really reflect that this is a PTO with Hartford and that he has no pathway to the Rangers at this point (and likely won't ever). Seems like a lot of people just read the thread title and assumed he signed a PTO with us.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I know the story in the OP says it, but the title should really reflect that this is a PTO with Hartford and that he has no pathway to the Rangers at this point (and likely won't ever). Seems like a lot of people just read the thread title and assumed he signed a PTO with us.

100%

It's likely that if he looks like he's capable of playing 4th line NHL minutes, he signs somewhere else to play. We're much deeper than most teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad