Around the NHL XLIII: Nervous Turkeys Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
27 games combined win streak by the top 5 metro division teams. Now it's just who drops the ball first.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
27 games combined win streak by the top 5 metro division teams. Now it's just who drops the ball first.

To go one step further the combined record in the past 10 games of top 5 teams in the Metro(Rangers,Caps,Pens,Jackets and Flyers) which equal obviously 50 games are an insane 35-12-3 hence why some of us wonder why it seems as if no one in our division ever loses.

Specifically in past 10 games the teams are:

Rangers 6-4-0
Penguins 7-3-0
Flyers 9-1-0
Jackets 7-1-2
Capitals 6-3-3

That my friends is officially cuckoo cocoa puffs insane hockey being played by these 5 teams lately. :nod:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
One thing which is interesting to debate - why does this league start so late in October with this crazy schedule? And Vegas a new team next season with even more games? It would be interesting if the NHL start in late July or something like most soccer leagues, and get rid of these hopeless decisions in NHL.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
One thing which is interesting to debate - why does this league start so late in October with this crazy schedule? And Vegas a new team next season with even more games? It would be interesting if the NHL start in late July or something like most soccer leagues, and get rid of these hopeless decisions in NHL.

Huh? It's still going to be an 82 game schedule next season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592?tid=281011650

2017-18 Schedule Matrix

Each club will continue to play an 82-game schedule, with 41 home games and 41 road games.

The schedule matrix, which ensures that all teams play in all arenas at least once each season, will be adjusted to the following in 2017-18:
Eastern Conference (Atlantic and Metropolitan Divisions - 8 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 28 games
* 7 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 7 x 4 = 28 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 1 Away
* 4 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 4 x 3 = 12 games

Non-Conference: 30 games
* 15 Home / 15 Away
* 2 x 15 = 30

Western Conference (Central Division - 7 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 26 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 2 Home / 3 Away
* 4 x 4 = 16
* 1 x 5 = 5
* 1 x 5 = 5

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games
* 4 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 4 x 3 = 12 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
* 16 Home / 16 Away
* 2 x 16 = 32 games

Western Conference (Pacific Division - 8 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games
* 6 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
* 6 x 4 = 24 games
* 1 x 5 = 5 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games
* 3 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 3 x 3 = 9 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
* 16 Home / 16 Away
* 2 x 16 = 32 games

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
ok fine, I was not aware of that. I still don`t understand the main reason to start a new season so late in October almost end of the year. :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
ok fine, I was not aware of that. I still don`t understand the main reason to start a new season so late in October almost end of the year. :)

The reason the season started late this year was because of WCoH

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The reason the season started late this year was because of WCoH

I google it - most seasons started early in October since back in 2010 - and it`s too late in my opinion. It should start much earlier in the year with better schedules.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Leetch, the game you're talking about is most definitely 12/26/91.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199112260WSH.html

http://www.hookedonhockeymagazine.com/this-day-in-hockey-history-december-26/

I remember watching that and seeing Richter get pulled. Rangers turned on the turbos after. This was in the days when the Rangers/Caps were big rivals, having played three times in six years in the playoffs, and the Caps were a physical team that had some playoff success. Plus seeing Ridley/Miller on the other side was not good, Langway was a pain, and guys like Pivonka and Calle Johanssen could really get under the skin.

Also that night the Penguins blew out the Leafs 12-1. I forget who mentioned it either Sam or Bob Page, but they were definitely going with the "what a strange night after Christmas" angle.

Thanks.....I remember watching that one via satellite ...was quite a comeback. Hatcher killed us and Bondra in so many games back then .

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thanks.....I remember watching that one via satellite ...was quite a comeback. Hatcher killed us and Bondra in so many games back then .

No prob. I definitely remember crying that game when Richter got pulled. I was really young. I hated the Caps because of 90 but moreso because of 91. Those Caps teams were like good wrestling bad guys from that era. You hate, hate, hated them, but as an adult, I respect them as a worthy opponent. 94 kinda exorcised those Caps team even though I remember going into the series thinking, oh no, Rangers have to play these guys again?

I wish MSG would show that game or other Rangers game from that era. One of my favorites was on President's Day when Turcotte scored with less than a second left against Vancouver. Or even the 0-0 tie against the Islanders from 90, or when they came back against the Devils on a Miro Horova goal total the lead in the division.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I can see why teams are reluctant to go into a rebuild. It seems like a simple decision to make, to just say, okay, let's rebuild but look at all these teams. Oilers, Avalanche, Coyotes, and the Sabres are basically the four rebuild teams of the last 5 years and the rebuild seems to take on a life of its own. Oilers had to rebuild within the rebuild. The first step of the rebuild in Hall had to be the first step of a re-rebuild to start this season and they're still only average. The Avalanche had Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon in the draft but really messed up with all of their non-top picks and they're still at the bottom of the league. Sabres and Coyotes are still one step away from being average.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
That's what makes rebuilds so arduous. You need to separate the lines between growth through experience and a straight up losing culture that gets you nowhere.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Pens up 1-0 on the Josh Jooris led 'Yotes...no surprise there.

What is a surprise is Crosby didn't score the goal. Guy is on a 69 goal pace...ridiculous

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The problem with a rebuild is that it's not just about getting top picks and having them work out. Teams have to draft well in the later rounds, and bring in the right UFAs as complimentary pieces. Players also can't be rushed. Sometimes throwing an 18-year-old into the best league in the world is too much. Even someone like Pronger had growing pains.

The other problem is when teams have a little success and start to stray away from the plan. Avs did that when they made the playoffs a few years ago.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
LOL...only 7-0 now and Crosby only has a goal. Of their other big guns just Kessel with a goal and Letang with an assist and Malkin with two assists. Other than that, it's their 3rd and 4th liners doing all the damage. Sure the 'Yotes blow chunks but that's pretty impressive I hate to admit.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The problem with a rebuild is that it's not just about getting top picks and having them work out. Teams have to draft well in the later rounds, and bring in the right UFAs as complimentary pieces. Players also can't be rushed. Sometimes throwing an 18-year-old into the best league in the world is too much. Even someone like Pronger had growing pains.

The other problem is when teams have a little success and start to stray away from the plan. Avs did that when they made the playoffs a few years ago.

The other "issue" is that there is a big, big difference between generational types and mere first liners. This board really started getting popular during the early Crosby/Ovechkin days. I think those two really left a mark on how people think about "tanking" and rebuilding in general. It's conceivable that you can tank for 10 years in a row and not get a player like that, and that's pretty much what happened to the still sucky rebuilding teams.

It is not really a surprise that the Oilers are all of a sudden a good team now that McDavid is there.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Rangers, Penguins, Caps and Flyers have combined for 5 straight shutouts... The metro is making an absolute joke out of the rest of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad