Around the NHL Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Philadelphia Flyers Sean Couturier - TSN.ca

Haha, shows how little I've paid attention around the league for several years now.

8th overall pick in 2011, Selke winner in 2020... and I'd never heard of him. :laugh:

He's their best player. I don't know why he's not more popular around the league, he's definitely under the radar. I guess he doesn't put up eye popping numbers, but he's exactly the kind of center you win with in the playoffs.

Reactions: golffuul

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Eichel switching agents. Going with Brisson (Crosby, MacKinnon, Tavares). Not sure if this implies anything in regard to his situation with Buffalo.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Eichel switching agents. Going with Brisson (Crosby, MacKinnon, Tavares). Not sure if this implies anything in regard to his situation with Buffalo.

Definitely implies he thinks someone else can do better a better job to help get him out of Buffalo.

Not like he's got a contract negotiation coming up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Habs will probably match but still, I love seeing offersheets. Best part is the offersheet has a $20 signing bonus. I love that level of petty in the league.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again but the offersheet compensation is wayyyy to high.

A one year deal to push them into a cap mess next year when Suzuki needs a new deal and they have to qualify Kotkaniemi at $6m.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Double checking if Karmanos is still involved with the Hurricanes...
Right? I can't even comprehend why Kotkaniemi even signed it. It's great for one year, but that's an awful lot of pressure to have a sink or swim contract. Really short-sighted move, here.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Right? I can't even comprehend why Kotkaniemi even signed it. It's great for one year, but that's an awful lot of pressure to have a sink or swim contract. Really short-sighted move, here.

it's probably somewhere between double and triple what he would have otherwise made this year and it sets his qualifying offer at 6 million as well

also he's a 21 year old coming off an ELC

Reactions: Winger98

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Hmm I guess the Canes pick will be in the mid twenty range. Not sure what I’d do if I was Bergevin. He really hasn’t done much yet but he’s still very young

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I love how cut throat this offer sheet move is.

Montreal has to scramble and gut themselves to keep KK and Suzuki. Then they’re stuck paying a 3 mil guy 6.1 mil until they don’t qualify him.

Or the alternative is they lose a guy picked 3rd overall for a late 1st and a 3rd. And Carolina probably doesn’t even qualify him in 2022.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I love how cut throat this offer sheet move is.

Montreal has to scramble and gut themselves to keep KK and Suzuki. Then they’re stuck paying a 3 mil guy 6.1 mil until they don’t qualify him.

Or the alternative is they lose a guy picked 3rd overall for a late 1st and a 3rd. And Carolina probably doesn’t even qualify him in 2022.
Bergevin really has made a mess of this. And I still don't think Kotkaniemi should have gone for the 1 year deal to force the situation. Getting a 3-4 year deal at 2.5-3.0 would have net him more money in the long-term and he could have possibly done a lot better on his next contract. Now he has a put up or shut up year which, if he cracks under the pressure, might mean he barely makes league minimum (due to not being qualified) or could be headed back to Europe. Gotta have a lot of confidence in your ability to take this kind of a gamble. He showed he has some potential, but hasn't shown he can do it consistently.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Bergevin really has made a mess of this. And I still don't think Kotkaniemi should have gone for the 1 year deal to force the situation. Getting a 3-4 year deal at 2.5-3.0 would have net him more money in the long-term and he could have possibly done a lot better on his next contract. Now he has a put up or shut up year which, if he cracks under the pressure, might mean he barely makes league minimum (due to not being qualified) or could be headed back to Europe. Gotta have a lot of confidence in your ability to take this kind of a gamble. He showed he has some potential, but hasn't shown he can do it consistently.

Your math might be a bit off.

Signing bonus of 20 million?
High salary of 6.1 million per year?

That's 26.1 million versus the 12 million (3 x 4 years) you think he should have received instead. (And you're probably right.)

So let's say that he only plays 1 season at 6.1, stinks up the joint and isn't qualified. His next deal is STILL going to be pretty decent. 3 years, 2.5 million at minimum.

If he made 3 x 4 and then is qualified for his next deal at 4 x 4.

He will have made 33.6 million versus in 4 years versus making 28 in 7.

Yeah...I'm taking that offer sheet money.

Reactions: Konnan511

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Your math might be a bit off.

Signing bonus of 20 million?
High salary of 6.1 million per year?

That's 26.1 million versus the 12 million (3 x 4 years) you think he should have received instead. (And you're probably right.)

So let's say that he only plays 1 season at 6.1, stinks up the joint and isn't qualified. His next deal is STILL going to be pretty decent. 3 years, 2.5 million at minimum.

If he made 3 x 4 and then is qualified for his next deal at 4 x 4.

He will have made 33.6 million versus in 4 years versus making 28 in 7.

Yeah...I'm taking that offer sheet money.

lol wut

It was a $20 signing bonus. Not a $20 million signing bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad