Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I do wonder what's in store for Boston. They need some depth scoring. Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci aren't getting younger. Does Chara retire? How's Tuukka welcomed back to that room?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Holy crap it was sickening. In game 2 he must have mentioned it 6 times in 3 minutes. Some corny bullshit he invented and was trying to bring it into hockey vernacular.
I believe some Bruins fans were embarrassed when he started using that phrase last year against Toronto and that says a lot.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Dubas should look at the way Tampa added the last pieces. Our skill is on par with them, get a couple players who can jam, and it's good.
Their defence is superior obviously.

Dubas didn't inherit a Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev like JBL in Tampa did.

He has a lot of work to do, and the unexpected flat cap won't help.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I do wonder what's in store for Boston. They need some depth scoring. Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci aren't getting younger. Does Chara retire? How's Tuukka welcomed back to that room?

I recommend they go into hibernation and plan to contend again in 2030.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Really weird for NBC to give Chara a 10 minute eulogy when he hasn't hinted he's retiring...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
upload_2020-8-31_23-27-11.jpeg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Take note. Dallas Stars doing a great thug job of creating chaos in front of the Avalanche net to manufacture penalties, power play opportunities and goals in front of Michael Hutchinson.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
HFBoards will be unbearable if the Isles, Lightning, Avalanche and Canucks all make it through.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Take note. Dallas Stars doing a great thug job of creating chaos in front of the Avalanche net to manufacture penalties, power play opportunities and goals in front of Michael Hutchinson.

One thing they are doing, is setting the tone. They are not going without a fight
They want to set the stage for next game. Benn is running everyone over

I guarantee you they'll come guns and blazing next game. If this was the Leafs, they would just skate by casually, accept defeat

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
HFBoards will be unbearable if the Isles, Lightning, Avalanche and Canucks all make it through.
The Lightning I have no problems with. However this is the problem with the other teams.

Islanders: The crap they talk about John Tavares and Lou Lamoriello now being their GM after leaving Toronto.

Canucks: Their fans who think Elias Pettersson is much better then Auston Matthews.

Avalanche: The people who keep brining up Kyle Dubas trading them Nazem Kadri.

At least the Canucks are down 3-1, the Avalanche should force a Game 6 baring a collapse by Hutchinson and would still be down 3-2, and let's hope the Islanders blow their 3-1 series lead to the Flyers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing they are doing, is setting the tone. They are not going without a fight
They want to set the stage for next game. Benn is running everyone over

I guarantee you they'll come guns and blazing next game. If this was the Leafs, they would just skate by casually, accept defeat

There's so much fun playoff psychology and old school gamesmanship that don't seem to register with our Leafs core and new age fans.

Also, there's the whole angle of manufacturing greasy post-whistle nonsense that increases the likelihood of penalties being called and opportunities for the special teams, if anyone's still wondering why the Leafs don't get calls.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
A skill and speed game that has tons of player depth because all their stars left a bit of cash on the table so they could build a winner...a big difference than this Leafs team of greedy young kids...unfortunate for us Leaf fans.

Our core guys weren’t merciful to be sure, but Tampa has the advantage of playing in Florida and dealing with drastically less in taxes so their guys can afford to leave some cash on the table.

The CBA of course doesn’t account for tax rates, but the owners are damn sure to bitch and moan about teams paying for their own players and prospects to travel and train to be the best they can be. :rolleyes:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Our core guys weren’t merciful to be sure, but Tampa has the advantage of playing in Florida and dealing with drastically less in taxes so their guys can afford to leave some cash on the table.

The CBA of course doesn’t account for tax rates, but the owners are damn sure to bitch and moan about teams paying for their own players and prospects to travel and train to be the best they can be. :rolleyes:

But Dubas and the Leafs are forking out huge signing bonuses every year that are taxed more favourably, but the kids still bent him over...what about all these additional endorsement perks because they play for the Leafs that they wouldn't get elsewhere? The Florida tax situation is just an excuse for greed...how come McDavid didn't bent the Oilers over with his 8 year contract, and Edmonton is not exactly Florida, but rather gave money back? Boston doesn't seem to have to overpay their players like the Leafs? Boston actually ships their young players out who are greedy and don't buy in. Everyone has a price and could be traded. Even Gretzky got traded.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Of the teams left, the least annoying ones to win the Stanley Cup would be Tampa and Dallas. Tampa would also help justify the Leafs mold and provide an obvious blueprint to what changes our team needs to make (changes that I hope are coming regardless). Dallas has Seguin but that was in a separate deal with Boston that didn’t involve the Leafs. There’s no connection between the two teams otherwise. Philly would also be an inoffensive victor.

Of the rest, I don’t dislike the teams of Vancouver or Colorado, but A) f*** any Canadian team but the Leafs ending the Cupless streak and B) I’m sick of the Kadri narrative, and Hutch doing anything for Colorado after how absolutely brutal he was for us would suck. Vegas is again another team I find entertaining, but it’d sting to see them win the Cup in only their third year in the league, but it wouldn’t end the world. I’m not going to go into recent history with the other remaining team, but you all know what it’s about.

Reactions: Merrrlin

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins dominated an entire season just to lose in 5 :laugh: God I love watching them suffer. Hopefully this is the last time I see that ogre bitch Chara in the NHL.

Reactions: supermann_98

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Dubas didn't inherit a Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev like JBL in Tampa did.

He has a lot of work to do, and the unexpected flat cap won't help.

He did inherit Nylander, Matthews and Marner and decided to overpay them massively, while leaving crumbs for the scrubs that he needs to find to surround these kids with. Dubas has set a terrible precedent. Wait until Rielly wants his cut, what is Dubas going to give him? Now, I don't think Rielly is a greedy person like the others, but he might get a premium if Dubas is still around then.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He did inherit Nylander, Matthews and Marner and decided to overpay them massively, while leaving crumbs for the scrubs that he needs to find to surround these kids with. Dubas has set a terrible precedent. Wait until Rielly wants his cut, what is Dubas going to give him? Now, I don't think Rielly is a greedy person like the others, but he might get a premium if Dubas is still around then.

The 2-4 million he overpaid for the core isn't the reason we're not winning. Toronto didn't have enough pieces to be a contender when they brought in Tavares. Now they need to add on the fly.

The core was actually pretty damn good vs Columbus. The depth combined for 4 points in 5 games across like 8 players. And no, 2-4 million doesn't make or break your depth. Drafting and shrewd roster management do. It's a shame Lou and Hunter completely botched 3 years of drafts, we could really use some ELC players coming up.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tampa beating Boston is a nice example of what kind of playoff game a “skill and speed” team still needs to play in a Stanley Cup playoff format. Still tons of garbage time, little chip plays, tons of board battles and scrums. Not a lot of “outskilling” anyone.

CC dubas this message

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The 2-4 million he overpaid for the core isn't the reason we're not winning. Toronto didn't have enough pieces to be a contender when they brought in Tavares. Now they need to add on the fly.

The core was actually pretty damn good vs Columbus. The depth combined for 4 points in 5 games across like 8 players. And no, 2-4 million doesn't make or break your depth. Drafting and shrewd roster management do. It's a shame Lou and Hunter completely botched 3 years of drafts, we could really use some ELC players coming up.

Marner is a huge part of the core and he was nowhere near good enough. Willy was bad in the crucial game 5. When you invest half your cap in 4 forwards, they ALL need to click, otherwise you're toast. There's little room for mistakes or under performance.

$2 to 4 million gets you another quality d man...look what happened to the team when Muzzin got hurt. These young kids should have signed 7 to 8 year deals for the type of money they got, but they want to hit UFA early, so they could get even more money. In 4 years Matthews will be a UFA and he'll probably demand $14 to $15 million AAV...he'll walk if he doesn't get that...and Marner the year after that? That doesn't help the Leafs salary cap structure and team building one bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad