Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What makes you say that? Every series means something, I'd even go so far as to say that every game means something. Some more than others of course but still, I watch almost every game my team plays and they all mean something to me.

I'm not sure any Leaf fans are cheering for the Islanders, more like some are cheering against them and looking for reasons to put them down.

Such is the nature of sports fandom, no?

I mean Leafs fans are under no obligation to like any other team

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Indeed. As if Islanders fans are cheering for John and not revelling in our misery. Credit to the Islanders for getting this far but as far as I’m concerned the sooner they’re out the better.

A solid 80% of posts in the Isles "Out of Town" thread are related to the Leafs. No question that fan base revels in Toronto's failures.

Islanders even have an anti-Tavares marketting campaign. You could hear it on the radio last season before Leaf games.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
LOL at all the criticism NYI is getting right now. There's only 4 teams still playing and they're one of them, that's more than we've achieved for a very long time. I was impressed by how they played last night, TB is so good and they came close to beating them. I wonder when we'll go as far as they've gone this season?

lol. We can beat Tampa in any given game. Isles cannot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean the series vs. CBJ was in effect that kind of match up.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was talking about NYI needing to add an impact player if they want to win the cup.

Such is the nature of sports fandom, no?

I mean Leafs fans are under no obligation to like any other team

Of course not. Not liking is one thing, talking about a team as if they're much worse then they really are is kind of strange though. But people can say what they like of course, me included. :)

lol. We can beat Tampa in any given game. Isles cannot.

Any team can beat any other team on a given night. That much should be obvious to anyone who's spent even a little bit of time following the NHL.

You need assets and cap space to bring in impact players.

The Islanders have neither.

Every team has assets, some more than others of course. All I said was that I agree that they probably need an impact player, I didn't comment on how likely it was that they'd be able to do that.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Every team has assets, some more than others of course. All I said was that I agree that they probably need an impact player, I didn't comment on how likely it was that they'd be able to do that.
Ah, OK. I mistook it for that when you said there is no reason this cannot happen for them.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm not sure what you mean. I was talking about NYI needing to add an impact player if they want to win the cup.

Ah, I was referencing the Leafs vs. CBJ series as an example of the team with more impact players not winning a series.

Or were you talking adding that type of player?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Killorn gets 1 game.

I have no issues with a suspension on that type of hit, I just can't see why that warrants more than Ritchie.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ah, OK. I mistook it for that when you said there is no reason this cannot happen for them.

No you're right, I forgot what I said earlier when I said that, sorry about that. I think what I was thinking at the time was that maybe Barzal develops into an elite player or something but not sure any more really, kind of tired today is my lame excuse. Had trouble getting to sleep after the amazing Raptor game and had to get up early as usual.

Ah, I was referencing the Leafs vs. CBJ series as an example of the team with more impact players not winning a series.

Or were you talking adding that type of player?

Yeah adding that type of player. Though since I seem to be confused about what I said, I can't really expect anyone else to understand either, my apologies.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Oh, are we supposed to only do that with the Leafs?

The fan base has wildly varying opinions, nothing new there. Some people think they're worse then they really are, others (like you IMHO) think they're better than they really are but it makes complete sense to analyze the team that we actually care about. That's JMHO of course, if people want to spend their time trashing other teams they're free to do that of course no matter how strange I think it is. And if they talk trash about some team then I also have the right to say what I think, it's all good.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Some people think they're worse then they really are, others (like you IMHO) think they're better than they really are but it makes complete sense to analyze the team that we actually care about.
I don't think we're better than we are. What we are is just better than many around here seem to think. Makes complete sense to analyze other teams as well, especially in a thread dedicated to other teams. It's important to know how you compare.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think we're better than we are. What we are is just better than many around here seem to think. Makes complete sense to analyze other teams as well, especially in a thread dedicated to other teams. It's important to know how you compare.

Maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I get from your posts. I guess it's a subjective thing anyway, I mean who's to say how good we really are? It's pretty difficult to accurately assess a team that had a piss poor season but had so many issues so who the hell knows? And the next question is does it really matter anyway? It's going to be a different team that begins the next season and it will probably be somewhat different again when the playoffs start again so ... we'll see.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

This is pretty interesting. The Leafs are the only Canadian team not to cut wages

Well in a way they did bc the League order them to shut off facilities in the off season.
Honestly, seeing this news is expected and I think for the first time, players and agents will really take discounts due to COVID

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It would be terrible if the Canadian government won’t allow Canadian teams to play home games in Dec/January.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
A solid 80% of posts in the Isles "Out of Town" thread are related to the Leafs. No question that fan base revels in Toronto's failures.

Islanders even have an anti-Tavares marketting campaign. You could hear it on the radio last season before Leaf games.

It's actually so pathetic, they still obsess about the Leafs on the main boards too. They're in the conference finals! It might never get better for them as hockey fans and still they are just overflowing with hatred for a team that hasn't played in a month.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Well in a way they did bc the League order them to shut off facilities in the off season.
Honestly, seeing this news is expected and I think for the first time, players and agents will really take discounts due to COVID

Except when negotiating with Kyle Dubas...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Gabriel426

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I get from your posts. I guess it's a subjective thing anyway, I mean who's to say how good we really are? It's pretty difficult to accurately assess a team that had a piss poor season but had so many issues so who the hell knows? And the next question is does it really matter anyway? It's going to be a different team that begins the next season and it will probably be somewhat different again when the playoffs start again so ... we'll see.

I think the answer could be simple...we're as good as our results...doesn't matter how sexy we think some of our players are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad