Around the NHL - It's HERE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have no problem with that hit.

again no problem with the Rinaldo hit...Cootz should know better, thats a rep call...

In a vacuum, that hit is fine. Wasn't a high hit and wasn't leading with the elbow, from what i could see. It was late as hell, though. Doesn't deserve any supplementary discipline, IMO.

That hit is so borderline on multiple levels that I feel a suspension will be handed out.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Guess I was wrong..

hold up

That's strange, Renaud, because I see his skates leave the ice, and the head as the point of target, even if we've seen far worse examples of both.

The contact could - and should - have been squarely - and only - shoulder-to-chest, and it's on Rinaldo to make contact that way. Nothing Couturier does makes Rinaldo's point of contact change from chest to head.

And to those who say Rinaldo did not lead with the elbow - so what? If the head is the point of contact, it doesn't matter if it's the elbow, the shoulder, the pinky, or Rinaldo's left testicle making the contact with his head.

The other factor which may influence whether the hit is suspendable or not (I feel it will be suspended), is that it occurred with 2 seconds left in period. That shouldn't factor in, but it likely will be, but go unmentioned.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's strange, Renaud, because I see his skates leave the ice, and the head as the point of target, even if we've seen far worse examples of both.

The contact could - and should - have been squarely - and only - shoulder-to-chest, and it's on Rinaldo to make contact that way. Nothing Couturier does makes Rinaldo's point of contact change from chest to head.

And to those who say Rinaldo did not lead with the elbow - so what? If the head is the point of contact, it doesn't matter if it's the elbow, the shoulder, the pinky, or Rinaldo's left testicle making the contact with his head.

The other factor which may influence whether the hit is suspendable or not (I feel it will be suspended), is that it occurred with 2 seconds left in period. That shouldn't factor in, but it likely will be, but go unmentioned.

Disagree.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Here's what I think I see:

- Rinaldo's skates come up a little after contact, not before.
- Aim point was shoulders and chest.
- Couturier had his head down and wasn't aware Rinaldo was coming. His head snapping back indicates he wasn't bracing for contact.

I don't think it was an illegal hit, but similar to Campbell's hit on Umberger.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't think Cody Hodgson has played 10 minutes in a game yet. Nashville must be coming to the same conclusion that Buffalo has. Does anyone see his playing in the NHL beyond this season? I think he's toast.

I'd really love to know what the hell happened to him…was it the back injury after all? Work ethic? Is he just slow in the head? He had such promise!

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't think Cody Hodgson has played 10 minutes in a game yet. Nashville must be coming to the same conclusion that Buffalo has. Does anyone see his playing in the NHL beyond this season? I think he's toast.

I'd really love to know what the hell happened to him…was it the back injury after all? Work ethic? Is he just slow in the head? He had such promise!

I think he just lost his confidence and never got it back.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/23/report-torts-told-johansen-that-hes-not-in-shape/

This has the potential to get interesting, because Johansen’s fitness has come under the microscope in the past. Just over a year ago, it was reported that the club was not happy with it.

You think it’s possible that Tortorella was forewarned by Columbus management that Johansen needed to get his act together?

We think that’s very possible.

Johansen, of course, missed training camp last year while negotiating his three-year, $12 million contract extension. He can become a restricted free agent in the summer of 2017.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So not a lot of McDavid talk here. Denial.

I read a couple of the threads on the other boards... more than just McDavid vs. Eichel.

Edmonton is built to run-and-gun in the West. Maybe that works out, but LA, Chicago, Anaheim, etc. all run three deep on forward lines. Edmonton will have no trouble skating in the West, but who's coming over the boards against deep teams for them? Who do they have for defensive lines, pairs? And, though it's early, Edmonton might be competing for a playoff spot, so they might miss out on adding those players at the top of the draft.

By comparison, Buffalo has everything that I mentioned Edmonton might not have. Balsam's putting Girgensons, Larsson, and possibly wingers like Baptiste and Bailey over the boards as future third lines. Lower pairing could be as deep. Buffalo also has a lot of size and speed coming up in the organization. Murray is building a Western Conference team in the East... and I think that's the difference between the two.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Denial of what? Eichel needs wingers. The guy has made so many setups and guys like Kane and Moulson cant finish.

It is funny after 6 or 7 games of a 20 year career you make this post. :shakehead
Man. Why can't I simply say McDavid is better? It's not really about Eichel, he will be good. Eichel will be a legit #1 center.

McDavid is just on another level. I'm glad that the consolation was Eichel.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Man. Why can't I simply say McDavid is better? It's not really about Eichel, he will be good. Eichel will be a legit #1 center.

McDavid is just on another level. I'm glad that the consolation was Eichel.

He's better. Everyone knows that. But he isn't better to the degree you're implying.

I wonder if you'd be singing a different tune if this team was finishing.

Also, how is it "denial" that there aren't any posts about him? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad