Around the NHL - Episode XLXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Batherson has done some appearances recently with his former junior team and is still fairly active on social media so that’s probably a good sign.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Batherson has done some appearances recently with his former junior team and is still fairly active on social media so that’s probably a good sign.
I think we have different ideas here – not sure whether acting like nothing is happening can be characterized as positive or negative. The lack of immediate denial when so many others have done just that is more of a worrying sign than his continued presence is a good one, IMO.

EDIT: and just in case anybody feels so inclined, let me get out ahead of this one: no, we aren't owed anything, no we don't know anything for sure, yes those involved all have their right to a day in court, no I'm not pre-judging anyone. Just concerned.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd suspect if the org had any indication of them being involved they'd be packaged in a trade already.

Yeah but imagine the backlash on having traded "damaged goods"?

If they are involved, they have no value and should actually be cancelled from the NHL

For example, I would never bring my kids to see a show where they hire rapists.

If they were involved, which team cares the least about public image?
Chicago? Carolina?

Aren't the guys involved going to face criminal charges? I mean, a rape is a rape.

And Chicago will have to rebuild their image entirely so no way they would hire an Evander Kane for example, even if they'd need him

Edmonton seems like the trash spot for the NHL at the moment

Remember how fast Jake Virtanen was terminated when charges were made?

Please Alfie.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Aren't the guys involved going to face criminal charges? I mean, a rape is a rape.

And Chicago will have to rebuild their image entirely so no way they would hire an Evander Kane for example, even if they'd need him
Civil trials usually happen after criminal ones, do they not?

I dont know if she ever pressed charges.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think we have different ideas here – not sure whether acting like nothing is happening can be characterized as positive or negative. The lack of immediate denial when so many others have done just that is more of a worrying sign than his continued presence is a good one, IMO.

EDIT: and just in case anybody feels so inclined, let me get out ahead of this one: no, we aren't owed anything, no we don't know anything for sure, yes those involved all have their right to a day in court, no I'm not pre-judging anyone. Just concerned.
I agree, but I would assume if someone was involved they'd probably be advised to lay low or whatnot. A statement is long overdue at this point.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Civil trials usually happen after criminal ones, do they not?

My limited "justice system" knowledge doesn't allow me to answer this. I don't know how it will transpire but the guilty have to pay the consequences (more than just money)

There is now a lot of public pressure to sort this out, there's no going back now

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I agree, but I would assume if someone was involved they'd probably be advised to lay low or whatnot. A statement is long overdue at this point.
Dorion was asked about them. He replied, no comment.
Not saying that’s incriminating or not.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I mean, it's not likely guilty parties can't, or historically don't, deny allegations. I'm not sure how much a statement really means one way or another.

I hope that neither of them were involved.
That's definitely a strong point. It's not an immediate get-out-of-jail-free card, we'll be waiting until there's a proper resolution either way. At the same time, it sure highlights the low risk of putting out a statement... even if untrue, it happens all the time. So it raises the question... why no statement? What do they have to lose from putting one out?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's definitely a strong point. It's not an immediate get-out-of-jail-free card, we'll be waiting until there's a proper resolution either way. At the same time, it sure highlights the low risk of putting out a statement... even if untrue, it happens all the time. So it raises the question... why no statement? What do they have to lose from putting one out?
Yeah, Idk. They may think that by not bringing attention to it they protect friends? Snitches get stitches mentality? Maybe they shared information they had with the investigation and were asked not to discuss anything publicaly?

Idk, I'm grasping at straws here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I will say that Formenton being a former London Knight and not putting out a statement is a bit worrisome.
Hard to say.. we don't know anything. Could have been advised not to comment. I don't think him playing for London tells us anything. I think its best not to speculate on who may be guilty here.

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I am more worried that Batherson and Sokolov were roommates and the billet loves Igor and never talks about Drake.
Sokolov was with them for 3 years, during Covid and lived with them and helped out around Cape Breton, and had them substitute for his family at the draft. Batherson for less than a year and a half while living at home out of season.

And they've talked about loving Batherson multiple times

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Sokolov was with them for 3 years, during Covid and lived with them and helped out around Cape Breton, and had them substitute for his family at the draft. Batherson for less than a year and a half while living at home out of season.

And they've talked about loving Batherson multiple times
This makes me feel a little better.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
In Canada a person does not get to press charges, at least not in the American (Hollywood) sense. The Crown Attorney makes that decision based on evidence devidence gathered during a police investigation. In this case the victim chose not to speak to the London police, and without that there's not much of a criminal case that could be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad