OT: Around the NHL: Countdown to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Looking at the standings and geez. The goal differentials really stand out.

For the top 3 teams in the Metro (Caps, Pens, CBJ) the combined goal differential is a +34

The 3rd place Leafs in the Atlantic have a +38 alone. The combined top 3 teams in the Atlantic have a +152

And the two Wild Card teams have a +2 (Flyers) and a -2 (Devils) for a combined of 0.

I really don't know what to make of the East.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Another interesting thing about the Metro - there are 8 teams in the NHL with fewer points than the last place Rangers/Islanders. So 8 of the 23 other teams. There is no Buffalo/Ottawa or Arizona/Vancouver to feast off of....or is there....

Again, not sure what to make of it. You can make a case that the games have been more competitive and the competition is better or you can stay the top teams aren't as good because they're not exactly blowing away the bottom half of the division.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

For the top 3 teams in the Metro (Caps, Pens, CBJ) the combined goal differential is a +34

The 3rd place Leafs in the Atlantic have a +38 alone. The combined top 3 teams in the Atlantic have a +152

And the two Wild Card teams have a +2 (Flyers) and a -2 (Devils) for a combined of 0.

The Atlantic do have Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa and Detroit in their division though.

26th, 27th, 28th and 31st in the league

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I guess one could conclude there are bunch of *****y teams in the Atlantic or that the Metro is full of mediocre teams, or both. It will be fun to see who emerges. West is loaded with good teams this year. Finals should be great.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
YOTES have been killing it since January. Good on them.

I love the Panthers and the Yotes cores. And they deserve to be successful after all the BS they have put up with.

Yeah it takes time to rid themselves of the stink of previous failures and "culture" changes. Tocchet staying the course was a good move, it's actually nice to see patience in some things with coaching. Other times, being overly patient is moronic but in this case, sticking with Tocchet was a smart move. Housely on the other hand is just not cut out to be a head coach, could be one of the better assistant coaches sure, but as a head coach, just not a role he was ready for yet.

16-10-6 Since January (6-3-1 in their last 10).

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks MetalDude for the info. No rush to bring him back so Vegas is doing the right thing before PO.

Is it me or has there been more goalie head injuries with some concussions this season?

Maybe they should look at improving helmets unless it's a freak season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain