Around the NHL 2023-2024

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm afraid this isn't a CBA thing and Brian is wrong here.
Yeah, it is. Unless, that is, everyone wants to seize on one word in an ESPN article and swear up and down that's conclusive.

Let me put this another way: nothing prior to 2015 prevented a team from offering compensation for hiring away another team's coaches or executives. It just wasn't required. The 2015 policy required draft pick compensation, which teams then leveraged to demand compensation for coaches and executives no longer employed but still under contract. That was the sticking point for teams, which is why they asked the league to get rid of the policy entirely. The NHL dropped the policy and reverted to the pre-2015 policy, which ... let me say it again ... allows teams to offer compensation, but doesn't require it.

Or, since we're citing articles and seizing on specific wording [all emphasis mine]:

And what they had ... allowed teams to give compensation, but didn't require it.

I didn't say that.
Once again, you are doubling doubt on the "trust me bro" argument about the league's policy with no support whatsoever? You are fully and totally incorrect about the former (and current) policy.

Here's a Bettman quote from 2015 when they got rid of compensation:

“You either give permission to negotiate, and if the two parties actually make a deal then the executive is free to go. But there is no compensation. If you don't want to give permission to somebody who is under contract, whether or not they're employed but they are being paid and still under contract, is the club's decision,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.

"There is no compensation" would certainly be a weird way to describe your fantasy, 'you can't ask for compensation, but the other team can offer you compensation' gong show of a concept.

Here is a video of Bettman's quote, where he twice says 'there is no compensation.' No wiggle room. No semantics about one side could offer compensation but you just couldn't ask for it. An unambiguous 'no compensation.'

Here is a 2015 article from Piere Lebrun on the subject in which he notes that the policy leading up to the brief 2015 compensation policy was that there was no compensation:

For years there was no such compensation, the league becoming fed up with the controversy that surrounded the practice, most notably when the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins feuded over the draft-pick compensation after Peter Chiarelli left Ottawa to become the Bruins' general manager in summer 2006.

There was tension, too, when Dean Lombardi left the Philadelphia Flyers to become the Los Angeles Kings' GM.

If you allowed a guy to get hired elsewhere, that was it. You got nothing in return.

Here's another 2015 article referencing how the from 2006-2014 the league had a 'no compensation' policy by stating "the NHL went away from any kind of compensation system in 2006."

Both the last two articles reference teams being pissed off about their executive/coaching talent being poached for nothing. There is no example from 2006-2014 or 2015-2024 of a team offering to give up a pick in order to get permission to talk to a coach. You have offered no citation for your claim because none exists. You made up a nonsense policy and then tripled down on it.

The NHL does not allow compensation from one team to another for hiring a coach/executive that is under contract.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I lived in Boston for 6 years. It’s a wonderful city and the people are, generally, quite welcoming. But when it comes to sports they are the most entitled, yet somehow aggrieved group of chuds on earth. They don’t deserve another championship in anything until the heat death of the universe
this is the correct take

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Once again, you are doubling doubt on the "trust me bro" argument about the league's policy with no support whatsoever? You are fully and totally incorrect about the former (and current) policy.

Here's a Bettman quote from 2015 when they got rid of compensation:

“You either give permission to negotiate, and if the two parties actually make a deal then the executive is free to go. But there is no compensation. If you don't want to give permission to somebody who is under contract, whether or not they're employed but they are being paid and still under contract, is the club's decision,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.

"There is no compensation" would certainly be a weird way to describe your fantasy, 'you can't ask for compensation, but the other team can offer you compensation' gong show of a concept.

Here is a video of Bettman's quote, where he twice says 'there is no compensation.' No wiggle room. No semantics about one side could offer compensation but you just couldn't ask for it. An unambiguous 'no compensation.'

Here is a 2015 article from Piere Lebrun on the subject in which he notes that the policy leading up to the brief 2015 compensation policy was that there was no compensation:

For years there was no such compensation, the league becoming fed up with the controversy that surrounded the practice, most notably when the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins feuded over the draft-pick compensation after Peter Chiarelli left Ottawa to become the Bruins' general manager in summer 2006.

There was tension, too, when Dean Lombardi left the Philadelphia Flyers to become the Los Angeles Kings' GM.

If you allowed a guy to get hired elsewhere, that was it. You got nothing in return.

Here's another 2015 article referencing how the from 2006-2014 the league had a 'no compensation' policy by stating "the NHL went away from any kind of compensation system in 2006."

Both the last two articles reference teams being pissed off about their executive/coaching talent being poached for nothing. There is no example from 2006-2014 or 2015-2024 of a team offering to give up a pick in order to get permission to talk to a coach. You have offered no citation for your claim because none exists. You made up a nonsense policy and then tripled down on it.

The NHL does not allow compensation from one team to another for hiring a coach/executive that is under contract.
But Army misused a word in his press conference, so that means that we are free to do otherwise and don't have to follow league rules.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Celebrini will be playing in San Jose. F you, Chicago.
really happy to see that. kid is from sf bay area. dad worked for the warriors. such a perfect fit. just what sharks franchise needed. him and smith should be nice 1-2 punch. they still gonna stink for another year or 2 or 3 or.. but their is hope again.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Didn’t they used to draw and multiple teams could move positions? I have to admit I haven’t paid that much attention to the draft lottery while the Blues were in the playoffs. I was thinking the Blues could move up 10 spots but that San Jose wouldn’t necessarily stay #1. Didn’t they/ draw the top 3 an one point?

I just couldn’t Chicago winning it. Good for the Sharks.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Didn’t they used to draw and multiple teams could move positions? I have to admit I haven’t paid that much attention to the draft lottery while the Blues were in the playoffs. I was thinking the Blues could move up 10 spots but that San Jose wouldn’t necessarily stay #1. Didn’t they/ draw the top 3 an one point?

I may be confused by what you're asking. They already held the lottery but tonight was the reveal of who is picking where. There wasn't a single change to the order this year though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

they used to draw for top 3 spots. they only draw for top 2 now, so up to 2 teams can move. the odds were also changed so that once you got beyond top few your chances of winning are pretty slim. and when they draw, if someone wins that can't pick #1, the team with worst record gets #1. likewise if we had won the 2nd drawing we would have moved up our max spots and the team with the worst record (aside from whomever just got #1) would get to pick 2nd.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
they used to draw for top 3 spots. they only draw for top 2 now, so up to 2 teams can move. the odds were also changed so that once you got beyond top few your chances of winning are pretty slim. and when they draw, if someone wins that can't pick #1, the team with worst record gets #1. likewise if we had won the 2nd drawing we would have moved up our max spots and the team with the worst record (aside from whomever just got #1) would get to pick 2nd.
Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think it's the new womens league that does it this way but I think this would be the best way to handle the draft. What ever team gets the most points once they are eliminated gets the #1 pick.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think it's the new womens league that does it this way but I think this would be the best way to handle the draft. What ever team gets the most points once they are eliminated gets the #1 pick.
Yea it's called the Gold plan, named after the guy who wrote his like doctoral thesis or something on it. It's a really cool system that regular sports leagues will never touch b/c owners would freak.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Holy crap Trouba!

This is somewhat the result of Necas ducking and sliding to avoid the freight train aimed at his head but the recklessness of Trouba coming in like that and leading with the elbow…just crazy.

And the skate then hitting Necas in the head…both are lucky neither was injured.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Holy crap Trouba!

This is somewhat the result of Necas ducking and sliding to avoid the freight train aimed at his head but the recklessness of Trouba coming in like that and leading with the elbow…just crazy.

And the skate then hitting Necas in the head…both are lucky neither was injured.

Trouba’s never met a headshot he didn’t like.
Rangers and Colorado look like the two best teams to this point.
Yeah I’d agree, though I thought the Canes were a bit unlucky to not get a winner prior to OT. That’s the benefit of a guy like Shesterkin, though. The Avs seem to be cooking with gas again even if the game got off to a bad start.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Holy crap Trouba!

How long would Trouba's suspension have been if he landed that elbow he was throwing?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Holy crap Trouba!

Trouba plays the game the wrong way and it's important that he remain a loser

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
How long would Trouba's suspension have been if he landed that elbow he was throwing?
It reminded me of this hit from years ago. Downie got 20 games. Trouba will get nothing because Necas saw it coming at the last second and avoided it. But the intent was the same IMO.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's behavior that the NHL could choose to remove from the game, would not be too tough. Make the penalty for this 20 year suspension.

The ruling would be grounded in every player's right not to be savagely attacked, a highly defensible interest.

Who would have a problem with this ending overnight, or ever? The NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad