Around the NHL 2023-2024

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
i ask this in all sincerity, other than hanifan is there any ufa d who is clearly better than krug or faulk? i hate them together but individually either of them is still quality player (contract aside). if we are going to upgrade on d in short term, it almost has to be by trade.
Brett Pesce is better than both, astronomically better than Krug. However, as other people have mentioned in other threads, he is a little long in the tooth.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Brett Pesce is better than both, astronomically better than Krug. However, as other people have mentioned in other threads, he is a little long in the tooth.
tanev too. and skej. but i am real hesitant to give anyone over 30 more than 2-3 years given where we are in rebuild.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
tanev too. and skej. but i am real hesitant to give anyone over 30 more than 2-3 years given where we are in rebuild.
Pesce is actually 29, 3 years younger than both Krug and Faulk. But I agree, he doesn't really fit out timeline. Somebody will offer him a 7 year contract, and I don't think we should try and compete with that.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
i ask this in all sincerity, other than hanifan is there any ufa d who is clearly better than krug or faulk? i hate them together but individually either of them is still quality player (contract aside). if we are going to upgrade on d in short term, it almost has to be by trade.

I seriously have no idea who's a FA this summer.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Any center we aquire should be someone we can project as still being a 2C 2+ seasons from now, or else their contract just becomes another problem at the likely earliest we're able to contend.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How the hell are the Caps still in the playoff picture with a goal differential of minus THIRTY? Thats nuts.

Also hilarious to see the combined goal differential of the Sharts and Hawks at minus 229!

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wow that's depressing. Monohan is only one worthy of a 2c role and that's assuming he doesn't suck total ass now.
Monahan has had a career resurgence since he was able to escape from Calgary. I think he would be a fine 2C/3C but, If possible I'd prefer it to be a 2 year deal

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think we may be better off with a 3rd line baindaid and focus our efforts on rebuilding the D and finding guys to replace our less useful UFAs.

Reactions: taylord22

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think we may be better off with a 3rd line baindaid and focus our efforts on rebuilding the D and finding guys to replace our less useful UFAs.

Well we started doing better moving Schenn away from 2c and onto the wing but that means we moved Buch to center. If we can keep Buch on the top line with Thomas and have a 2c able to keep Schenn on the wing I think we're for sure a playoff team, no questions asked. Even with out current D and while I do think fixing D is a priority it sure as shit isn't gonna be from FA unless Hanifin decided he hates Vegas. Which may happen if we can keep them out of the playoffs.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Well we started doing better moving Schenn away from 2c and onto the wing but that means we moved Buch to center. If we can keep Buch on the top line with Thomas and have a 2c able to keep Schenn on the wing I think we're for sure a playoff team, no questions asked. Even with out current D and while I do think fixing D is a priority it sure as shit isn't gonna be from FA unless Hanifin decided he hates Vegas. Which may happen if we can keep them out of the playoffs.
I dont think fixing the D is a FA effort. It’s trades that we will need to rely on.

Even another 3C that can slot up and keep Schenn on the wing and Buch at wing would be just fine. Find a 40pt guy who isn’t a Hayes type and work on replacing Kapenen with some other warm body.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I dont think fixing the D is a FA effort. It’s trades that we will need to rely on.

Even another 3C that can slot up and keep Schenn on the wing and Buch at wing would be just fine. Find a 40pt guy who isn’t a Hayes type and work on replacing Kapenen with some other warm body.
I'd imagine Bolduc maintains his 3rd line spot and Saad is bumped to the 3rd line as Buch slides back to wing to accommodate the added center

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was surprised to see Walman on a chart showing the number of 90mph+ shots this season. Parayko was still there, but that isn’t something I think of when I think of Walman.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I was surprised to see Walman on a chart showing the number of 90mph+ shots this season. Parayko was still there, but that isn’t something I think of when I think of Walman.
He’s always had a bomb. It was evident in college and the AHL but he barely got it off in his time with the Blues.

I’m still annoyed at the wasted asset of Walman. Part of that I put on him as it did take him quite a while to adjust and find his game but some of it I place on the Blues for not giving him a great opportunity and favoring experienced vets.

Same sort of thing with Dunn too.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Good to see ROR bring Happy camper in Preds. Dude is making impact on that team. Need to Look up preds at playoffs.
Rooting for the Preds again. They were my least favorite org for a while. I hated the "you suck" chants from the fans. Now my most hated team is Vegas. I hate that town and organization. Go Preds! Go ROR!

Reactions: Ranksu

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Good to see ROR bring Happy camper in Preds. Dude is making impact on that team. Need to Look up preds at playoffs.
It's not hard to imagine we'd be in the playoffs right now if we had retained O'Reilly instead of Hayes. I know that's not salary neutral so would take some other finagling, but... yeah. RoR is playing 19:43 a night for the Preds scoring at a 65 point pace with a great +/-. It's like last season didn't even happen, which lends credence to theories he was playing through injury, or something.

Reactions: Ranksu

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It's not hard to imagine we'd be in the playoffs right now if we had retained O'Reilly instead of Hayes. I know that's not salary neutral so would take some other finagling, but... yeah. RoR is playing 19:43 a night for the Preds scoring at a 65 point pace with a great +/-. It's like last season didn't even happen, which lends credence to theories he was playing through injury, or something.

The problem still exists that we don't really have anyone that compliments ROR as a player without Perron. ROR is a cycle player who like to control down low with his linemates and nobody really fits that bill. Saad kind of, but he's best as a 3rd option instead of someone who drives the play. Neighbours is the same. Nashville on the other hand can basically throw half their lineup with him and fit like a glove.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I think we underestimate how much the uncertainty of playing out a contract can have on players
they have families and friends, and put down roots, and not knowing what is going to happen is a real thing that affects performance

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
A byproduct of the contending window closing earlier than it should is you start moving on from core players earlier than you would have normally...ROR being a prime example. Sure, you start losing guys due to financial attrition but ROR wouldn't have been one of them if the Blues were still realistically competing. Thomas/ROR would have been a hell of a 1-2 punch now that Thomas is coming into his own.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The problem still exists that we don't really have anyone that compliments ROR as a player without Perron. ROR is a cycle player who like to control down low with his linemates and nobody really fits that bill. Saad kind of, but he's best as a 3rd option instead of someone who drives the play. Neighbours is the same. Nashville on the other hand can basically throw half their lineup with him and fit like a glove.
Well good thing that ROR and Perron combined make the same amount as Hayes, Kapanen and Vrana combined.

…..wait did I say good thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad