Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I like Phaneuf in LA. They'll be interesting if they can make a late push and get into the playoffs.

Pretty good hockey trade for them.
Didn't really give up youth.
Gaborik is in the middle of his third straight miserable season.
Phaneuf is still just 32.
Nate Thompson is 56 percent on faceoffs.
Retaining on the Gabby contract doesn't hurt that much -- even if it is for 3 more years.
Phaneuf is only signed 2 more years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So how about former Red Wing superstar Jan Mursak helping the United States in the Olympics?

Potential deadline acquisition?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
no they're not, they just suck. If they were tanking they'd have sold off all their talent by now. Trading Toews (not that anybody would want that contract), Kane (ppl would want that contract), etc

No they wouldn’t. Tank. Get dahlin. Profit :laugh: :sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Chicago is going to somehow finish below us

It was a good run. I always said they were unlikely to turn it over for another good run like we did.

That is nearly impossible to do.

Keith has fallen off a little. Toews has a lot of miles on him even for a young guy and has dropped off a decent amount. They sacrificed Kane's first true running mate in the hopes of prolonging Toews' prime and Saad just hasn't been able to contribute like one would have thought. Then there is of course Seabrook which is a big deal. When Crawford went down they just weren't able to overcome it like the Wings found ways with Legacy or some of the other backups during the streak. They have tapped out a lot in the big moments this year, they just aren't a very good team. Kane alone cannot save them and he alone is really the only one playing at a truly elite level this year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It was a good run. I always said they were unlikely to turn it over for another good run like we did.

Keith has fallen off a little. Toews has a lot of miles on him even for a young guy and has dropped off a decent amount. They sacrificed Kane's first true running mate in the hopes of prolonging Toews' prime and Saad just hasn't been able to contribute like one would have thought. Then there is of course Seabrook which is a big deal. When Crawford went down they just weren't able to overcome it like the Wings found ways with Legacy or some of the other backups during the streak. They have tapped out a lot in the big moments this year, they just aren't a very good team. Kane alone cannot save them and he alone is really the only one playing at a truly elite level this year.

Puts into perspective how impressive our run was. Heck, even managing to make the playoffs and not bottom out between 2013-2016. That's how good Datsyuk and Zetterberg were even in their mid 30s.

Toews and Kane aren't even 30 yet and they still aren't good enough to carry a below average roster to the playoffs.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

everyone knew as soon as bowman signed seabrook to that lifetime achievement contract, they were in trouble. he fell into the same trap as holland

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Waiting for the Chicago rebuild tweet.

In more relevant news, they won tonight, along with FLA and VAN, making it a so-so night for the tank. We're still at 7th. Arizona has won 4 in a row and EDM is now 6pts out of last in the conference ... yikes.

Edmonton draft picks

2016 #4
2015 #1
2014 #3
2013 #7
2012 #1
2011 #1
2010 #1

How are these guys still complete dog pooh?

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Edmonton draft picks

2016 #4
2015 #1
2014 #3
2013 #7
2012 #1
2011 #1
2010 #1

Awful management, also their top draft picks never ended up as great players other than McDavid which is kind of unlucky more than anything else. Yakupov is a joke, Nuge is OK but definitely not a 1OA kind of talent. Taylor Hall was a great pick but then they traded him for Adam Larsson haha. What a joke of a team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Edmonton draft picks

2016 #4
2015 #1
2014 #3
2013 #7
2012 #1
2011 #1
2010 #1

It’s almost like there is more to building a team than just sucking until you get high draft picks.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It’s almost like there is more to building a team than just sucking until you get high draft picks.

If they had Detroit's success in the 2-7 rounds, they'd have some real depth.

But they don't. They just draft the big names and then strike out everywhere else.

And really, McLellan has to answer for the team's struggles this year.
In Edmonton and Buffalo, I'm not sure how the coaches aren't getting more criticism.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Good to see the team still fighting. Lots of good character on the team. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Chicago fan to see the Wings once again being the better team. Chicago's next 10 years look miserable.

Chicago is just mediocre right now because the cap hasn't risen enough to offset Kane and Toews' contracts.

Detroit is Chicago minus the talent but even more expensive.

Not to mention the massive difference in quality in the divisions they play in. 5 teams in the central are going to make the playoffs vs. the Atlantic and their crew of flunkies.

If you think Chicago's future looks bleak, then i can't even begin to imagine how terrible Detroit's future looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad