Around the NHL, 11th Armored Tank Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They were competitive in the East which is much weaker than the West. They lost to that Rangers team which was then killed by the Kings.

Unless they stop playing the Western Conference for the Stanley Cup being competitive in the East is nice but ultimately doesn't mean much. That is assuming that winning the Cup is the goal for teams.

Western teams aren't having much luck against the Kings and Blackhawks lately, so it isn't as if that's much of a fair criticism. I would consider being in that mix of top 5 playoff teams makes you a contender. Otherwise you're saying there have been exactly two contending teams the last couple of years, and by extension you are saying they should all look to move core pieces in a shake-up given their lack of success.

moon*

No, no player should be 'untouchable' if trading him would help the team... but there is simply no reason for Montréal to trade PK Subban? Not sure what 'the safe route' means in this context given that the opposite of taking the safe route is taking a risk, and trading PK Subban would not be a risk because there would be no potential upside. It would be a completely senseless action. Getting an offensive player in return would leave Montréal's d-core only slightly better than Edmonton's. Getting a defenceman back would be a downgrade, unless Keith or Karlsson was part of the deal. There's no way the Habs would come out on top after trading Subban, so... why trade him?

How is there no upside to trading him if we don't even know what the trade would be?

If they could get a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman that could definitely help them going forward, especially if those two guys are younger and on better deals.

Also, what are these supposed "personality issues"? Subban is a great media personality, the fans love him and he works hard every night. In what way is his personality a detriment to Montréal?

There have been reports that he has clashed with Pacioretty and the coaching staff.

I personally find him to be obnoxious as hell. He is awful everytime I have seen or heard him on Sportsnet or the Fan 590.

At the very least he has a very big personality that can rub people the wrong way.

Western teams aren't having much luck against the Kings and Blackhawks lately, so it isn't as if that's much of a fair criticism. I would consider being in that mix of top 5 playoff teams makes you a contender. Otherwise you're saying there have been exactly two contending teams the last couple of years, and by extension you are saying they should all look to move core pieces in a shake-up given their lack of success.

I am not saying trade him 100% I am saying when you are a team that has made zero Cup finals and 1 Conference finals in the past few years and there have clearly been 5-10 teams better than you over that time that guys should be available to move, especially when they are paid as high as he is and not the best or most important guy on the team.

But yes I am saying that teams, even Chicago and LA, should look to move core pieces if those moves can make them more competitive for the Cup. No team should keep a guy just because he is a "core piece" and especially teams that haven't come close to winning a cup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am not saying trade him 100% I am saying when you are a team that has made zero Cup finals and 1 Conference finals in the past few years and there have clearly been 5-10 teams better than you over that time that guys should be available to move, especially when they are paid as high as he is and not the best or most important guy on the team.

But yes I am saying that teams, even Chicago and LA, should look to move core pieces if those moves can make them more competitive for the Cup. No team should keep a guy just because he is a "core piece" and especially teams that haven't come close to winning a cup.

Okay. I guess the question is what kind of package is even possible to make Montreal a more competitive team at the expense of Subban. And what team would want to trade a package that would make Montreal more competitive in order to get Subban?

moon*

Okay. I guess the question is what kind of package is even possible to make Montreal a more competitive team at the expense of Subban. And what team would want to trade a package that would make Montreal more competitive in order to get Subban?

Honestly I am awful at fake proposals but how about:

Edmonton with a Draisaitl, Nurse/Klefblom and a maybe a swap of 1st's this year.

St. Louis: Pietrangelo and Schwarz

Islanders: Hamonic, Strome and Dal Colle

moon*

I also think that it is most likely that keeping Subban is the best course of action and they won't get a good enough package.

I just don't think he is good enough and the Canadiens aren't in a strong enough position that it is crazy to think about dealing him.

Toews, Kane, Doughty, AO, Crosby, McDavid those are guys/teams in which I think it makes no sense to even think about deals. Probably throw Price in there as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The only way I see PK trades is if they completely tear it down in Montreal. Like PK to Edmonton for Matthews/Laine. Price to us for our pick and Gillies. So on and so forth.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Can't imagine Bergevin is that dumb. But if he is exploring trading Subban over firing Therrien, then it's time for ownership to step in and fire both the GM and coach, as they've clearly lost their minds.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can't imagine Bergevin is that dumb. But if he is exploring trading Subban over firing Therrien, then it's time for ownership to step in and fire both the GM and coach, as they've clearly lost their minds.
Speculation is that Bergevin isn't big on Subban either and ownership forced him into signing PK to that contract.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Speculation is that Bergevin isn't big on Subban either and ownership forced him into signing PK to that contract.

From an outside perspective, Bergevin is too damn stubborn for his or his teams own good. If they want a real shot at a cup, they need to wash their hands clean of him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
From an outside perspective, Bergevin is too damn stubborn for his or his teams own good. If they want a real shot at a cup, they need to wash their hands clean of him.

Didn't he say the days of big trades are over, after Dallas has built their team off them.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
PK to the Oilers for a package including their 1st++. Don't want to see them get their grubby hands on either of the Finns.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Subban would be much more useful to Edmonton than an 18-year-old winger.

That said, he's not getting traded.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
How in the world does Edmonton manage to lose so damn consistently!! Its been silly for years and it just keeps getting worse. At this point Im really hoping they win some games and get out of that top 3 pick realm... but they keep crapping the bed and holding fort in the basement.

I will completely lose it if one of the Finns lands in Edmonton.

I also dont get why they cant at this point pull the trigger on a trade? Eventually they will be loaded on forward #1 overalls (which they already are) and eventually they will have to trade some of them because they cant hand out 10 mega sized contracts. Right?

I read a lot of various opinions whether fans or media... but no one seems to know... hate to quote the #1 idiot here but Trump says it well "What the h*ll is going on?" :rant::shakehead:cry:

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
How in the world does Edmonton manage to lose so damn consistently!! Its been silly for years and it just keeps getting worse. At this point Im really hoping they win some games and get out of that top 3 pick realm... but they keep crapping the bed and holding fort in the basement.

I will completely lose it if one of the Finns lands in Edmonton.

I also dont get why they cant at this point pull the trigger on a trade? Eventually they will be loaded on forward #1 overalls (which they already are) and eventually they will have to trade some of them because they cant hand out 10 mega sized contracts. Right?

I read a lot of various opinions whether fans or media... but no one seems to know... hate to quote the #1 idiot here but Trump says it well "What the h*ll is going on?" :rant::shakehead:cry:

There should be some kind of relegation thing like in the olympics. The last place team shouldn't get 1st overall, they should have to play in the ECHL or something for a season and just get no draft pick at all. :sarcasm:

It's unbelievable that they've been rebuilding for pretty well 10 years and still are god awful. I like that they've fixed the lottery a bit so that it doesn't reward being the best loser, but I'm sure somehow the Oilers will win the lottery again. I'm just waiting for a prospect to pull a Lindros on them and refuse to play, but when they're forced to trade him don't get a landslide trade in their favor that ends up letting them win the cup like Quebec/Colorado did but instead get Gary Leeman type return.:naughty:

In a way though, I'd like to see the Oilers get better so that the Flames and them could rekindle their hatred and have some real battle of Alberta's again.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
In a way though, I'd like to see the Oilers get better so that the Flames and them could rekindle their hatred and have some real battle of Alberta's again.

It feels funny but thats kinda what I want also. Just tired of them being such a gong show and sucking up top talent in their black hole.

Surely the management do realise that eventually they cant dish out top end contracts to all their #1 picks...?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It feels funny but thats kinda what I want also. Just tired of them being such a gong show and sucking up top talent in their black hole.

Surely the management do realise that eventually they cant dish out top end contracts to all their #1 picks...?

The Oilers are not as far off as their record dictates.

RNH will be dealt likely around the draft for a top 2 D-man.

Also look for Edm to deal their first pick for another top 3 D-man Carolina or Philly would be good matches.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
The Oilers are not as far off as their record dictates.

RNH will be dealt likely around the draft for a top 2 D-man.

Also look for Edm to deal their first pick for another top 3 D-man Carolina or Philly would be good matches.

That would certainly seem like a good plan for them but nothing indicates that this might happen. Thats the part that Im most baffled by is that there just hasnt been any effort to drastically shift the teams trajectory.

Aug 21, 2014
AQLfMFf.jpg

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
That would certainly seem like a good plan for them but nothing indicates that this might happen. Thats the part that Im most baffled by is that there just hasnt been any effort to drastically shift the teams trajectory.

There was allot of chatter up until RNH got injured and obviously it has quieted a bit due to the injury.

The Flames chatter with the Bruins also quieted I think for 2 reasons. First Wideman's suspension and secondly Subban's major injury. Look for this to be revisited later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad