Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I definitely wanted to make sure I toed the line of not minimizing at all while alluding to the long list of truly horrifying things humans have done to each other on a massive scale, especially in the ancient world.

Hitler and Stalin certainly tried to make the cut in the modern world. Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, Hutus and Tutsies, the slavery, war, rebellion, that led to the founding of Haiti….

It’s a sordid list and you’re right, we still aren’t that far removed. I mean Gaza is shaping up to be atrocious on a grand scale, Ukraine has had its share as well.

Will we ever learn?

Having said that, I am enjoying these playoffs.
Great points Ice-Tray. I'll let it die here since I probably carried on too much, but you're absolutely correct.

That Vancouver game was intense. Gotta say, the Nucks have surprised me and Silovs is hard not to cheer for.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Oilers have been constructed wrong from a long time ago. I mean seriously, they needed a defensive defenseman and they waited too long and then they finally bring them in but the goaltending has been a mess. If pickard was in since the beginning of the series, maybe it'd be a different situation. The problem is for the Oilers is they need a goaltender who can steal a game. Skinner steals a game for him and then he gives away three others. He is either really good or really bad. There's no in between for that guy. You know when he's in it you got to score six to win. I just feel like there's a few guys on that team that probably don't have the right mix for what they need to go deep. For me that's a lot of the bottom six. It's not terrible but I mean you take for example RNH, I am not a big fan of him and I think the money they gave him that could have been spent better elsewhere. No matter what type of playoffs he has he just leaves you wanting more. I like the Oilers as a Alberta boy born boy, a guy who met Gretzky and idolized that hole Dynasty era. Even though I was born in Calgary with a Lanny McDonald mustache. Don't matter who makes it out of there of course will be routing For whoever wins. I do wish for a game 7 of this series. It's been a treat.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
What you don’t seem to understand, progressives take it upon themselves to make the claim that this group, or that group would be offended if not,included.

Progressive sit at home looking for something to be offended about, or something that another group should be offended about.

It wasn’t native Americans that objected about the Washington Reskins team nickname, in fact the majority either Supported or were not offended by the Redskins name…. Progressive activists were the driving force behind the movement to rename the team… because progressives know better that you, and what you should, be offended by…. It all started with political correctness about twenty five years ago, in universities… and now has spread into the mainstream as the woke movement.

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I wonder if Rod Brindamour could become available....after 13 seasons in coaching as an assistant coach and head coach in Carolina, maybe he will need a change of scenery...a fresh start.
He is an Ottawa boy...well at least born in Ottawa.
Staios should have waited and thrown 4 sheets ( $4 million a season) his way and attempted to get Brindamour instead of Mr. Green Jeans.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I wonder if Rod Brindamour could become available....after 13 seasons in coaching as an assistant coach and head coach in Carolina, maybe he will need a change of scenery...a fresh start.
Staios should have waited and thrown 4 sheets ( $4 million a season) his way and got Brindamour instead of Mr. Green Jeans.

Yeah, as if our coach hire wasn't questionable in and of itself, if it means we miss out on Brind'Amour, it'll be a real twist of the knife (nothing we're not used to)

Reactions: Senovision

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Staios should have waited and thrown 4 sheets ( $4 million a season) his way and got Brindamour instead of Mr. Green Jeans.
4 sheets isn't getting you Brindamour, he's going to command 5+ to forego all the other teams that would be vying for him to come to Ottawa

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Really hope Rod the Bod doesn't end up in TML if him and Carolina part ways. That chokejob was pretty bad.

JT Miller has had such an awesome turnaround. Went from being a pouting defensive liability, to an absolute clutch beast on ever end of the ice.

Reactions: BigRig4

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Really hope Rod the Bod doesn't end up in TML if him and Carolina part ways. That chokejob was pretty bad.

JT Miller has had such an awesome turnaround. Went from being a pouting defensive liability, to an absolute clutch beast on ever end of the ice.
Miller immediately post-trade had some Pierre Luc Dubois vibes going on and has turned into a top 10 center in the league of late. An incredible turnaround.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Miller immediately post-trade had some Pierre Luc Dubois vibes going on and has turned into a top 10 center in the league of late. An incredible turnaround.
seems like a moody guy.. but I always liked him.. I get zero PLD vibes from him and never did

I did not see the Oilers being in this position vs Vancouver. They seem to find a way. Not over but Tocchet has these guys believing and they have put doubt into the minds of the Oilers. Advantage Vancouver

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I mean, Toronto and choke jobs are like peas in a pod, maybe Brindamour would fit right in...

I do wonder about how good of a coach Brindamour really is (he's certainly not bad, but is he as good as his reputation). I'm not entirely sold on his team's offensive system of spam the net from every possible angle and hope it leads to some juicy rebounds to capitalize on. He does get a very solid defensive game out of his teams though,

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I mean, Toronto and choke jobs are like peas in a pod, maybe Brindamour would fit right in...

I do wonder about how good of a coach Brindamour really is (he's certainly not bad, but is he as good as his reputation). I'm not entirely sold on his team's offensive system of spam the net from every possible angle and hope it leads to some juicy rebounds to capitalize on. He does get a very solid defensive game out of his teams though,
I'm just nervous that he gets everyone in TML in the gym and they become swole enough to start being more gritty

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Staios should have waited and thrown 4 sheets ( $4 million a season) his way and attempted to get Brindamour instead of Mr. Green Jeans.
4M isn’t getting Brindamour. Can you imagine our roster trying to defend in his man on man system. Horrifying.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bullshit. There is a line between wackos wanting every single little thing changed or eliminated, and those that want to change some things that make sense.

First Nations groups have voiced for years that some of the names used were offensive. Hard to believe they could be upset, they only lost an estimated 50% of their population from the genocide during colonization.

1715962897352.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Paywalled and also more bullshit curated for a purpose. Are you ever honest with the information you attempt to post here? It's like one crock of shit after another with you man.

The study’s findings, published in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, show that the degree to which those surveyed identified as Native American influenced how offensive they found Native mascots.

Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture.

Overall, the results suggest the controversy over the use of Native representations, such as chief headdresses, war cries and the tomahawk chop, is far from over.

“We keep seeing clear examples of Native people speaking up and protesting these problematic team names and mascots. Yet, public opinion polls, with little methodological transparency, say that Native people are not offended. Things just don’t add up,” said study co-lead author Arianne Eason, a UC Berkeley assistant professor of psychology.

Eason and University of Michigan psychologist Stephanie Fryberg launched the study last fall in response to what they deemed as “yet another questionable opinion survey” about the Redskins’ name.

For example, a 2019 web-based survey of 500 self-identified Native Americans that was reported in The Washington Post found that 68% of those polled were not offended by the Washington Redskins’ name. Among other things, it asked respondents to identify whether the Redskins’ name made them feel proud, disappointed, empowered, embarrassed, appreciative or hopeless.

Moreover, a 2016 Washington Post survey found that nine in 10 Native Americans polled claimed not to be bothered by the moniker. It was a telephone survey of 504 self-identified Native Americans, and the results are said to have influenced the decision of team owner Daniel Snyder to retain the Redskins’ name.

“The data from previous opinion polls is often used to silence Native people,” said Fryberg, a member of the Tulalip Tribes of Washington, in Washington state. “But our study, which captures a broad diversity of Native peoples and experiences, shows high rates of opposition. As researchers and consumers of information, we need to be very careful about whose voices we claim to be representing.”

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
per stat muse

May 17, 2014 to May 17, 2024

best team:
Tampa Bay- 146 playoff games. Good team, ~ 76 are are home dates. Average gm ~ 3.5 M = 266 M

Mid Table:
Toronto 57 playoff games... Mid table quality, so 28 home dates. At 4.5 M = 126 M
Florida 57 playoff games.. mid table, so 28 games ~ 3.5 M = 98 M

Near Bottom
Ottawa 25 playoff games.. low rank, so 10 home dates. At 3.5 M = 35 M

absolute bottom
Buffalo 0 M

average of the top 16 teams (less Tampa Bay, which is a ridicules outlier) ~ 80 games played. ~ 40 home dates ~ 3.5 M per game ~ 140 M

the Sens have missed out on 105 M.

It is incredible to realize; from 1999-2000 to 2009-2010, the Sens were mid table, amongst the elite.
from 2010-2011 to today, near the absolute bottom. Thank you Eugene!!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
per stat muse

May 17, 2014 to May 17, 2024

best team:
Tampa Bay- 146 playoff games. Good team, ~ 76 are are home dates. Average gm ~ 3.5 M = 266 M

Mid Table:
Toronto 57 playoff games... Mid table quality, so 28 home dates. At 4.5 M = 126 M
Florida 57 playoff games.. mid table, so 28 games ~ 3.5 M = 98 M

Near Bottom
Ottawa 25 playoff games.. low rank, so 10 home dates. At 3.5 M = 35 M

absolute bottom
Buffalo 0 M

average of the top 16 teams (less Tampa Bay, which is a ridicules outlier) ~ 80 games played. ~ 40 home dates ~ 3.5 M per game ~ 140 M

the Sens have missed out on 105 M.

It is incredible to realize; from 1999-2000 to 2009-2010, the Sens were mid table, amongst the elite.
from 2010-2011 to today, near the absolute bottom. Thank you Eugene!!!
35% of those playoff date revenues are used to fund revenue sharing, so drop everything down a third.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Leafs West and East are each missing an elite goaltender, and until they fix that I don't see them being able to go to the finals ever. Even we had an elite playoff goalie in Anderson which almost got us there.

Canucks seemed to have lucked into a clutch goalie for these playoffs, and they still have Demko who might come back... I like their chances. I'm hoping for a FLA-VAN final so one of them can get their first cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad