Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Regardless of who’s fault it is, I can see Dundon looking at this and thinking that Brind’Amour and his staff aren’t worth their ask. Have to think he’ll get the bag from Toronto or reunite with Francis in Seattle.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Brassard aka mr playoffs, big game brassard
112 playoff games
68 pts

Zibanejad aka dj zbad, mr disappointment at 23 yrs old
65 playoff games
59 points
dumoulin_nick - 1764760420890382521.gif

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It'd be awesome to see the Canes pull off a comeback. I don't mind the Rags going all the way if not for Trouba being an absolute dirtbag.

Plus, don't want Rod the Bod to get fired and end up on TML

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Their issue isn’t goaltending. They can’t score or generate high danger scoring chances.

I have been watching them a lot these playoffs and now I understand why the analytics community loves them so much. Those shot counts are fraudulent and don’t necessarily tell the whole story. 50 shots tonight was bullshit, a lot of those shots were low quality, perimeter, and shots from the point. They are a volume shooter team and the corsi kings, but the quality is severely lacking. The Rangers had half the shots but way more high quality shots, a lot of odd man rushes on the PK, a better moving PP and actually got into the slot a lot more.

Hurricanes are overrated as f*** and now I understand why they never go far in the playoffs. Soon as they face a decent goalie that can stop their crappy shots and a team that can keep them on the outside, all they have left is weak low calorie shots.
Bro 50 shots is 50 shots.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I saw you mention it a few times already but this is not even Top-20 in Dorion blunders, believe it or not.
I wanted McLeod or Jost, but I don't fault Dorion too much for that pick (relative to the others lol). Brown just showed a meh attitude once he joined the club and just didn't put the work in.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Their issue isn’t goaltending. They can’t score or generate high danger scoring chances.

I have been watching them a lot these playoffs and now I understand why the analytics community loves them so much. Those shot counts are fraudulent and don’t necessarily tell the whole story. 50 shots tonight was bullshit, a lot of those shots were low quality, perimeter, and shots from the point. They are a volume shooter team and the corsi kings, but the quality is severely lacking. The Rangers had half the shots but way more high quality shots, a lot of odd man rushes on the PK, a better moving PP and actually got into the slot a lot more.

Hurricanes are overrated as f*** and now I understand why they never go far in the playoffs. Soon as they face a decent goalie that can stop their crappy shots and a team that can keep them on the outside, all they have left is weak low calorie shots.

Maybe they're more capable of benefiting from controlling the play during the regular season. Maybe they aren't capable of generating as much higher chances depending on the kind of team they face. Last night, shots were 47-25 but HDC were 12-12

That's why xGF (and even xGF%) is more important than shots because it takes in consideration the quality. Expected goals were 4.37 - 3.55 last night but that's where goalies can make a difference. Shesterkin has been a beast

I wanted McLeod or Jost, but I don't fault Dorion too much for that pick (relative to the others lol). Brown just showed a meh attitude once he joined the club and just didn't put the work in.

To me, Brown's problem was the sense of entitlement, thinking he would cruise to the NHL based on skill alone and also a major lack of fire in his belly. Plus, he was heavily injury prone, a really bad mix

One of a biggest waste of the skillset I have seen in a long time. I don't fault Dorion that much (like you said, comparing to all the other moves lol) because they were going for a homerun with that pick and the guy had the talent for that, just not the character (so maybe they should have detected it?)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That attitude and poor work ethic were well know back in his Junior days. It was a poor pick because he was always more likely to bust than boom.

Reactions: OD99

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That attitude and poor work ethic were well know back in his Junior days. It was a poor pick because he was always more likely to bust than boom.
We'd have been so set if he was even a late bloomer like Tage Thompson. Our C depth would have been absolutely filthy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We'd have been so set if he was even a late bloomer like Tage Thompson. Our C depth would have been absolutely filthy
It was never going to happen. He had no pace to his game, wasn't physical despite being one of the biggest players on the ice and in general showed zero intensity.

Red flags all over the place, including the injuries.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I saw you mention it a few times already but this is not even Top-20 in Dorion blunders, believe it or not.
I more just think one probably played in to the other than criticizing moving up for Brown. Like, was Zbad seen as expendable by PD because of moving up for Brown. With Brown busting, that would seem like two missed bets compounding the issue.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I more just think one probably played in to the other than criticizing moving up for Brown. Like, was Zbad seen as expendable by PD because of moving up for Brown. With Brown busting, that would seem like two missed bets compounding the issue.
Zbad wanted to be paid. In 2016, the hockey world was changing. The 8 x X dollar was kicking in. 23 year old Zbad wanted his cut. By then, Eugene was well into his Pennie pinching phase.

The team was desperate to get rid of him, they added a second round pick, so that his mid summer bonus was paid by NYR.

The Euge and his pennie pinching, Dorion and his poor management.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
the 4 centers available in that 10-20 pick zone

T Jost.. hardly moves the needle. Cannot stay healthy, does not produce
L. Brown.. a bust
M. McLeod.. a 3rd liner and may serve 10 years in jail
L. Kunin... a 3rd liner, on a very bad team, does not produce

Only Charlie Mac a D man and Jaccob Chyc (who we now have) made it. (Picks 10-20).

Dorion needs a pass on that one.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
bro not every shot is the same quality. You sound like one of the blog boys.
I’m saying if every team could generate that much they would.

High Danger scoring chances were 7-6 for the rangers. So the hurricanes did generate. But still. Bruins goalie had to stop a lot of shots. Even if not super high quality. Not many goalies face 50+ and only let in 2.

Bro, Nikita Zaitsev and Travis Hamonic not being Elite defenders is surprising to him so don't ask too much. Gotta let people develop their hockey savvy, it's normal that not everybody is at the same stage.
Hey man DJ promised him Zaitsev was an elite nhl defender with the best feet

Reactions: Xspyrit

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Zbad wanted to be paid. In 2016, the hockey world was changing. The 8 x X dollar was kicking in. 23 year old Zbad wanted his cut. By then, Eugene was well into his Pennie pinching phase.

The team was desperate to get rid of him, they added a second round pick, so that his mid summer bonus was paid by NYR.

It just shows how terrible Ottawa asset management has been.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

For sure. Melnyk clearly had a part in that, hard to dispute that. I don't know if that means much to me as far as the deal that was ultimately chosen to be made and the long term consequences, or my assumption that drafting Brown probably galvanized the move, but that was definitely a significant factor. It was never an organic rebuild imo, more of a self inflicted situation from budget restrictions dictating decisions, mismanagement, and poor pro scouting.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
For sure. Melnyk clearly had a part in that, hard to dispute that. I don't know if that means much to me as far as the deal that was ultimately chosen to be made and the long term consequences, or my assumption that drafting Brown probably galvanized the move, but that was definitely a significant factor. It was never an organic rebuild imo, more of a self inflicted situation from budget restrictions dictating decisions, mismanagement, and poor pro scouting.
Logan Brown and Collin White figured in.

In 2016, White was being heralded as Patrice Bergeron Junior and Brown was seen as that stud big man center.

So, it was a perfect storm. Zab wanted money, Eugene did not want to pay. Logan and Collin are in the hopper... It meant Mika is out.

Mika was due to have a 1 M jump in salary.. Up to 3.25 M in 2016-2017 ( a jump of 1.2 M).

It forced hands... Pierre D. was not the best at trading. Brassard was a Franco. In a market needing/wanting a Franco star. Guy Boucher was coming in. Probably influenced it. Boucher was a bit of a Svengali to Dorion in the first 1-2 years.

A perfect storm.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Logan Brown and Collin White figured in.

In 2016, White was being heralded as Patrice Bergeron Junior and Brown was seen as that stud big man center.

So, it was a perfect storm. Zab wanted money, Eugene did not want to pay. Logan and Collin are in the hopper... It meant Mika is out.

Mika was due to have a 1 M jump in salary.. Up to 3.25 M in 2016-2017 ( a jump of 1.2 M).

It forced hands... Pierre D. was not the best at trading. Brassard was a Franco. In a market needing/wanting a Franco star. Guy Boucher was coming in. Probably influenced it. Boucher was a bit of a Svengali to Dorion in the first 1-2 years.

A perfect storm.
Dorion overselling his picks as well

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
It just shows how terrible Ottawa asset management has been.
Yea,

Dorion was not good at what he did. His reputation around the league was one of: He can have his pockets picked.

But without being there, I have no idea of how aggressively Eugene wanted Mika out. If teh Boss screams get it done now, you get it done now

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yea,

Dorion was not good at what he did. His reputation around the league was one of: He can have his pockets picked.

But without being there, I have no idea of how aggressively Eugene wanted Mika out. If teh Boss screams get it done now, you get it done now
Dorion wanted to show off to Melnyk .. saving him Brassard's signing bonus and money on Zibs next contract.
Lip smacking all the way. It was Dorion's rookie summer at the helm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad