Around the League

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm a pragmatic skeptic about the future of hockey and who it appeals to. The argument for Houston IMO is market size. But demographically, Salt Lake is as good of a "small market" you could probably get the NHL to work well in where there isn't already a team.

I think it'll be a fine hockey market and I like the natural mountain rivalry with Colorado.

I also kind of like Austin more than Houston. As long as you don't compete on Saturdays with Longhorns football that's a market with the demographics for hockey as well IMO, and there are no other pro sports there. Basically the Columbus model, but ideally with competent ownership (Poor ownership has been the barrier in Columbus)
Houston, like any current NBA city, would come down to the NBA owner as they would more than likely hold the arena management agreement or own the arena, ala Portland. Rockets owner would buy an NHL team but only at his price. If he doesn't get one, it won't bother him. He's not some big hockey fan or anything, just looking to add to his portfolio only.

That's the problem when you are second to a market with an NBA team. Either the NBA owner buys the NHL team or you get locked out of the market, unless you can build another arena in a different county, like what they are doing in ATL.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Probably a hot take but I don't think Logan Mailloux should be cancelled for the rest of his life. I'm fine with him playing tonight.

What he did was objectively bad
What he did was ruin someone's life through sexually exploitive measures. It's not "objectively bad", its downright disgusting and abhorrent.

What a weird qualifier to put on a take, "objectively bad".

He's someone I could never find myself rooting for if he were on the Red Wings.

• Haha
Reactions: RabidBadger and WaW

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What he did was ruin someone's life through sexually exploitive measures. It's not "objectively bad", its downright disgusting and abhorrent.

What a weird qualifier to put on a take, "objectively bad".

He's someone I could never find myself rooting for if he were on the Red Wings.
He should at least get the Chris Brown treatment for the rest of his life. Someone is always going to bring that up, either with him or just talking about him.

Reactions: Konnan511

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So it looks like the coyotejets are officially no more.

What will they become? Following the city sports theme of music genre named teams, the Salt Lake City hip hops? Because you know, it’s got such a wonderful scene there.

Stormin Mormons seems pretty popular on the net.

What do YOU name them? Wrong answers only.

• Haha
Reactions: RRhoads

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

What will they become? Following the city sports theme of music genre named teams, the Salt Lake City hip hops? Because you know, it’s got such a wonderful scene there.

Utah Magic Panties

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Utah Whudeye Tinkutaw

artworks-000554822283-cinoat-t500x500.jpg

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I like the Canucks in the West. They aren't flashy, but they are good at everything. Quinn Hughes had a monster year, but it feels like it was never talked about.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I second Sister Wives. Or the LetMeExplains.

In all seriousness, whenever I hear people talk about how gorgeous the scenery is in Utah, I fully believe it. Would still love to visit one day and I'm more than happy to interact with the public (in certain settings...).

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
My only explanations for Florida still being at 0 penalties in the Tampa game all sound a lot like crazy conspiracies. I feel like I'm watching Florida actively holding, hooking and interfering on every play and getting nothing for it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Feels like a strong possibility that Shanahan is out in Toronto if the Leafs lose in the first round again.

When Verbeek left, I know that we promoted Draper up. You think Yzerman might rope Shanahan into the front office as well?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Feels like a strong possibility that Shanahan is out in Toronto if the Leafs lose in the first round again.

When Verbeek left, I know that we promoted Draper up. You think Yzerman might rope Shanahan into the front office as well?
I kinda wonder how Shanahan would feel about that. Happy to return to the Wings? Prideful about a demotion instead of looking around the league to run a different team? Enjoying working with Yzerman and Draper? Not wanting to feel as if he's in somebody's shadow?

I could see reasons he would say either yes or no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad