Around the league XXIX: Florida fires Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Happy for Saad that things have turned around there, it's nice that he's playing meaningful hockey games.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Steve Downie just ripping Dave Tippet and the Coyotes organization to threads on Twitter. Worth a look if you're on there. Taking shots at himself, too. Interesting tirade.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

Another reason the offsides challenge needs to go. But yeah, smaller goalie pads is the answer... :sarcasm:

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

Another reason the offsides challenge needs to go. But yeah, smaller goalie pads is the answer... :sarcasm:

They just need to tweak the off sides rule so that if the puck is on the line at all the play is onside. Eddy O was talking about that when Hossa's goal against the Rangers was waived off I thought it was probably the best idea he has ever had haha.

Also it would be great if they could start calling obstruction again but i really don't think we can trust the players to not fly around concussing each other if they did.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They just need to tweak the off sides rule so that if the puck is on the line at all the play is onside. Eddy O was talking about that when Hossa's goal against the Rangers was waived off I thought it was probably the best idea he has ever had haha.

Also it would be great if they could start calling obstruction again but i really don't think we can trust the players to not fly around concussing each other if they did.

There's two ways you can do that, I'd prefer to say in reviews if it's on the blueline, just count it and don't worry about centimeter divisions like that, keep the replay to full offsides like skates in the air(which some hate but its just easier to use) and Duchene level plays.

Because if you just change the offsides rule in general, that just changes where challenges are watching because they're still then watching skate-puck entering the blue line which will be less but it's also an adjustment for skaters to shift their rule.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
There's two ways you can do that, I'd prefer to say in reviews if it's on the blueline, just count it and don't worry about centimeter divisions like that, keep the replay to full offsides like skates in the air(which some hate but its just easier to use) and Duchene level plays.

Because if you just change the offsides rule in general, that just changes where challenges are watching because they're still then watching skate-puck entering the blue line which will be less but it's also an adjustment for skaters to shift their rule.

and having the replay all the time, it will slow down the game. unless i am not understanding the point being made.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Jackets up 3-0 on the Bruins just 9 minutes into the game. I really need to watch more of their games.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope Columbus keeps it up. Have a hard time imagining that they're this real, but I readily admit that I'd root for them in essentially any playoff matchup except one against us.

Boston has clawed back and made it a game, however.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I haven't paid attention to hockey as much as I have in past seasons, but hot damn Columbus! Pretty amazing streak from the right now. Bob and Price have to be at the top of the list right now I would assume.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I haven't paid attention to hockey as much as I have in past seasons, but hot damn Columbus! Pretty amazing streak from the right now. Bob and Price have to be at the top of the list right now I would assume.

Both are easily behind Dubnyk at the moment.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I have a wait and see approach to Minnesota almost to the same degree that I have for Edmonton and Columbus. We've seen Minnesota look like they're the cream of the crop only to have it all come crashing down before, after all.

Streaks feel great and skids feel awful, but more so than anybody our fanbase should know that the grind of the regular season fades away to oblivion once the fourteen lottery teams go away and the real season of hockey starts. Lots of teams look good now, but lots of good teams get their teeth punched in and end up with a late teens draft pick and an almost as long of a golf break as the first fourteen, too. Hopes dashed early in 2012 and 2016, dashed late in 2009 and 2014, fully achieved in 2010, 2013, and 2015, and an odd kind of exhausted moral... melancholy pride and subsequent laugh at the guys that beat us for building their expectations up in 2011 kind of thing.

Minnesota could very well be dangerous, but I've still got a grain of salt on them.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not ready to give credit to either Minnesota, or Columbus, yet. To me, both teams are overachieving, and will eventually come back down to Earth. We'll see if I'm proven wrong, but I'd like to think I'm not going to be. And that Columbus and Minny will collapse, not necessarily missing the PO's, because it would be really hard to do right now, but being first round exits more than likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad