Around the league XXIV: RyJo a Pred, Jones a Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Mike Reilly in the lineup tonight for Wild.....18 points in 32 games with Iowa this season.

Last edited:

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Benn has some snarl to him, i think if a Tyson Nash type of player could get him off his game in the po's it could get the best of him. Seems like he could get distracted and be less than he could possibly be.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Sharks organization just said Torres suspension expires sometime this month but that he has a problem with his knee and that he may not be up to NHL speed level.

Why would they even want this dude back in the first place?

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got”

Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" ~ Albert Einstein

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Coyle flattens Benn behind Wild net, i have never seen Benn hit that hard, fell like a falling tree.....Reilly with a little over 7 minutes of ice time half way thru 3rd, his game has not been too shabby, had one good scoring chance after jumping in the play in the 1st period.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The Stars should be taken seriously, but a lot of people have been exaggerating how good they are. They still have a ways to go before being on Chicago and LA's level.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Not sure if its a testamemt to how ridiculously good LA's possession game is, a testament to how bad STL is of late, or both...

Been watching a little here and there, outside of Kopitar, Gaborik, Toffoli, Doughty and maybe Carter they just shoot, shoot and shoot on net and after every shot taken they rush the net and jamb for a rebound, nothing has really changed for this team and of course hit, hit and hit some more like the Ducks and Blues.

And are good at it, i think if an opposing team can overcome that they will be ok, reminds me of the Flyers back in the day, using a combination of muscle, grit, talent and of course interfere.

They are the heaviest team in the NHL averaging over 200 lbs. per player and 2nd height wise , the Blues i believe are 2nd weight wise and 1st in height.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Been watching a little here and there, outside of Kopitar, Gaborik, Toffoli, Doughty and maybe Carter they just shoot, shoot and shoot on net and after every shot taken they rush the net and jamb for a rebound, nothing has really changed for this team and of course hit, hit and hit some more like the Ducks and Blues.

And are good at it, i think if an opposing team can overcome that they will be ok, reminds me of the Flyers back in the day, using a combination of muscle, grit, talent and of course interfere.

They are the heaviest team in the NHL averaging over 200 lbs. per player and 2nd height wise , the Blues i believe are 2nd weight wise and 1st in height.

Hawks have never been able to overcome a team like this...they are doomed :sarcasm:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Well yeah, their entire system is predicated on shot volume.

The question to ask when watching is... why are all the shots coming from the guys in black? Why isn't the other team getting any time with the puck?

The Kings are ungodly good at snuffing out shot attempts against and racking up shot attempts for.

The fact is, short of a few guys, the Kings don't have the kind of high-skilled game-breakers the Blackhawks do. Their system is built around running a lineup of predominantly solid players.

Don't look for perfect shots or pretty plays. Just pour on shots, get the puck back, pour on more shots.

You put enough shots on net, you will win more games than not.

An NHL goalie is only going to stop between 90-95% of the shots they face over the course of a season, regardless of quality. If you can keep shots against down, and rack up shots for, you'll win.

Hawks have never been able to overcome a team like this...they are doomed :sarcasm:

There was actually a fantastic article awhile back on one of the stats sites I read (I can't remember which one), describing how the Blackhawks and the Kings are essentially the ying and yang of possession hockey, and that's why they both present such a tough match up for each other.

Despite the flair and flash in the offensive zone, the Blackhawks are actually a very structured team, and find their greatest success as such.

The problem is, you can't out structure the Kings. They're too good at it. You try and play 'your game' against 'their game' and they will inevitably have you playing their kind of game by the end of the night. Be it coaching, lineup, or the perfect confluence of both, they simply cannot be outstructured on most nights.

When the Blackhawks beat them, it's typically be abandoning structure. Not completely of course, but they basically start breaking their own rules about where to be and where to go against the Kings, all in service of PACE. If you can outpace the Kings - which isn't to say outskate them, but simply move the puck faster than they can, and move it to places and in ways that structured teams don't so it's harder to anticipate pick-off plays, then you can keep them hemmed in, or at the very least draw even. And really, short of 3 games from San Jose in the first round of 2014, no other team has consistently been able to do that to the Kings for any stretch.

Drew Doughty himself has said 'the only team that seems able to get the puck behind us for odd-man chances with any regularity is Chicago'.

Now, obviously you need a ton of skill in your lineup to do this. As Dallas' D matures and their lineup continues to mesh, I'd be interested to see what they can do in the similar vein.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Don't think that's what he was going for in his post, but alright. Sometimes people just make observations.

I think he was just being funny.

I mean, the Kings missed the playoffs by virtue of lost points in the shoot-out last year, so this seems like faux overreaction in the spirit of 'OH NO, IT'S ALL HAPPENING AGAAAAAAAAIIIIN!'

The emoticon sells it as a joke for me.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Chris Higgins is on the block. Wonder what they want in return? Maybe we could build something around Shaw, Bickell, and a prospect.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Chris Higgins is on the block. Wonder what they want in return? Maybe we could build something around Shaw, Bickell, and a prospect.

Speaking as somebody that lives in Vancouver and sees his fair share of the Canucks, Chris Higgins isn't an upgrade on any of those guys, frankly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Chris Higgins is god awful ,, Not worth giving up Shaw who is better player at this point

If its Bickell + mid level prospect for Higgins ,, Sure but then Hawks bury Higgins in minors and trade for actual upgrade to roster

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think he was just being funny.

I mean, the Kings missed the playoffs by virtue of lost points in the shoot-out last year, so this seems like faux overreaction in the spirit of 'OH NO, IT'S ALL HAPPENING AGAAAAAAAAIIIIN!'

The emoticon sells it as a joke for me.

I took it more as a Kings fan being upset because he pointed out that they didn't look good in the SO. If I was wrong, I apologize. Guess I kind of forgot about that last year. Damn, I can't believe they didn't make it last year.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I took it more as a Kings fan being upset because he pointed out that they didn't look good in the SO. If I was wrong, I apologize. Guess I kind of forgot about that last year. Damn, I can't believe they didn't make it last year.

I wasn't quite sure if he was mad at me for the comment or not as well.

I'm assuming not only because the Kings were terrible at the shootout last year too. So it's not like it's a new piece of information to them.

But seriously, that shootout was terrible. Fortunately neither team has to worry about that come playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Chris Higgins is god awful ,, Not worth giving up Shaw who is better player at this point

If its Bickell + mid level prospect for Higgins ,, Sure but then Hawks bury Higgins in minors and trade for actual upgrade to roster

He is not as bad as you say he is and could 100% be a solid 4th line player for us. He would also improve our PK which is solid but could use improvement.

You have to pay to get rid of Bickell's deal and Shaw/prospect would be that payment.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Higgins is terrible in the games I have watched. Don't let the Canucks board sway you in their over value. They thought Zack Kassian was going to be the next Cam Neely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad