Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Vegas went through 3 coaches in 5 years despite having a phenomenal record.

Tocchet is probably the best coach this franchise has had since AV 12 years ago but I would still do that swap without any hesitation. I think we are about 1-2 years away from seeing a new coach anyways....

Coache's jobs are weighed on success relative to the expectations. Vegas is a poor example. Before the year we were hoping to grab a wildcard spot in the playoffs. It would be a huge disrespect to fire Rick Tocchet because 'look what Vegas did'. In fact, it would be a huge red flag for any head coach that would/could conceivably fill the position.

Reactions: tradervik

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Casey Mittelstadt trade looks really good for the Avs. I think he even might take a discount just because he is happy to be off a dumpster fire that is the Sabres and been on winner like the Avs.
Yep. I thought it was a smart move. I was #1 on the Get Mittelstadt brigade.

It's not 2019 anymore. He is a very good two-way center now.

I wanted Mitts badly. We got Lindholm instead.

Given the LeSabres got Byram, I'm not surprised they took that over any potential offer from Van.

Good for the Avs and good for Mitts. Fit has been great for both.
I was talking up Mittelstadt almost all season. Perfect forward upgrade.

Byram was very good for Buffalo and if he stays healthy they win that deal.

There were like 7 or 8 guys his age or under playing 20+ minutes in the NHL this year and fans always underrate U23 defenders struggling as they adjust to playing big minutes.
I think Byram will end up being a very, very, good defenseman, but he really was pretty poor this season with both COL and BUF. Underlying numbers were rough.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Idk any of the behind the scenes details or what rod prefers, but no way anyone outbids the Leafs monetarily, for Brind'Amour and his entire staff it'll be blank cheques.

Another first rd loss to bruins, Keefe sent to space, give Brind'Amour whatever he wants plus a million, and he gets that core past the first couple rounds guaranteed.

seattle's ownership are worth like 20bil personally and aren't beholden to any stockholders like mlse. they can go as high as they want

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vegas went through 3 coaches in 5 years despite having a phenomenal record.

Tocchet is probably the best coach this franchise has had since AV 12 years ago but I would still do that swap without any hesitation. I think we are about 1-2 years away from seeing a new coach anyways....
I do think RBA is a good coach, but I don't get this veneration for Rod as the second coming of Scotty Bowman.

There are very specific and obvious flaws with RBA's tactics that have been exploited for several seasons. Now, the Canes can go and win the Cup and shut me up. But the Canes, despite being perpetually dominant under Rod, have continually gotten exposed by the same things season-over-season.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Oilers should have no issue destroying Kings this evening.

If they'll meet with Predators in round 2, they should crush them too.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Oilers should have no issue destroying Kings this evening.

If they'll meet with Predators in round 2, they should crush them too.
Ugh, the Oilers were 1:21 min away from meeting the Golden Knights in Round 1. Philipp Kurashev unnecessarily whipped the puck over the glass which changed everything.

Funny how the Kings celebrated that win.....when they inadvertently chose a crappier matchup.

• Wow
Reactions: mathonwy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ugh, the Oilers were 1:21 min away from meeting the Golden Knights in Round 1. Philipp Kurashev unnecessarily whipped the puck over the glass which changed everything.

Funny how the Kings celebrated that win.....when they inadvertently chose a crappier matchup.

Again, LA and their 131 hockey is basically watch paint dry, if the Oilers can take a giant shit on that system then piss all over them, I'd say it's well-deserved.

• Haha
Reactions: mathonwy and Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Byram will end up being a very, very, good defenseman, but he really was pretty poor this season with both COL and BUF. Underlying numbers were rough.

Take a look at virtually any very good NHL defender and their underlying numbers were rough when they were 21 or 22 learning how to play high-leverage minutes.

Byram will be a 22-24 minute defender for the next decade. The only real issue is whether he can stay healthy.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Take a look at virtually any very good NHL defender and their underlying numbers were rough when they were 21 or 22 learning how to play high-leverage minutes.

Byram will be a 22-24 minute defender for the next decade. The only real issue is whether he can stay healthy.
This.
Sabres pistol whipped Avs in this trade and that's no shade at CM.

But Byram's upside is still incredible.

The idea that he was dominating the Stanley Cup Finals against a modern dynasty, and then is just bad now seems asinine to me.
He's been hurt and not utilized properly on Colorado.

Now, with Toews and Makar he may never have been utilized properly there, but they could have waited to get a haul.

That said, if they win the cup this year they won't give a shit. Much like nobody calls the Iginla/Nieuwendyk trade a terrible trade because Dallas got their cup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't disagree. I literally said that I think he's going to be very, very good.

You said he was good this season. I am just pointing out that he was not good this season, by pretty much any criteria. That doesn't really change what I think he will be long-term.
Sabres pistol whipped Avs in this trade and that's no shade at CM.

But Byram's upside is still incredible.

The idea that he was dominating the Stanley Cup Finals against a modern dynasty, and then is just bad now seems asinine to me.
He's been hurt and not utilized properly on Colorado.

Now, with Toews and Makar he may never have been utilized properly there, but they could have waited to get a haul.

That said, if they win the cup this year they won't give a shit. Much like nobody calls the Iginla/Nieuwendyk trade a terrible trade because Dallas got their cup.
Again, I agree, Byram was a revelation during the Avs Cup run. I think he will be a high-end defenseman for a long time.

I just made a factual statement that Byram performed fairly poorly this season.

My assessment (at the time of the deal) was that it was good for both teams. The Avs are contending now and needed a piece to fill their biggest immediate need. The Sabres are getting a piece with more long-term upside, but perhaps a riskier projection due to the injury concerns.

Reactions: I am toxic and quat

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Byram was very good for Buffalo and if he stays healthy they win that deal.

There were like 7 or 8 guys his age or under playing 20+ minutes in the NHL this year and fans always underrate U23 defenders struggling as they adjust to playing big minutes.

I think both teams can win this trade. A legit 2c behind Mackinnon was a much bigger need and they traded from a position of strength.

Reactions: I am toxic and quat

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Part of me wonders what happened with a guy like Myers, who came in and torched the league in his first two seasons and then got cratered the next few years without really recovering. Sekera was obviously good, but was Tallinder *that* good at covering for Myers?

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Part of me wonders what happened with a guy like Myers, who came in and torched the league in his first two seasons and then got cratered the next few years without really recovering. Sekera was obviously good, but was Tallinder *that* good at covering for Myers?
Tallinder was better in a trio. ie. with Huselius and Lilja

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Oilers ain't f***ing around. Yeesh.

gaudy.jpg

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There’s a bit of a pattern of rookie defencemen getting more favourable matchups/zone starts and putting up better stats before regressing the next season. Dahlin, Ekblad, Butcher, to name a few recent ones.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hope this board is mentally ready for the Oilers beating us second round (assuming we can even get there)

Reactions: Nucker101

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am really surprised with Dallas making this crazy comeback, I really truly thought they’re not built for the playoffs, even though I still rate them pretty highly.

Pretty impressive honestly

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hope this board is mentally ready for the Oilers beating us second round (assuming we can even get there)
Let’s make the second round, and honestly, edmonton is not that scary, overrated, wait until they go up the middle of the zadorov.

It’s gonna be a really physical series

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Let’s make the second round, and honestly, I’ve been in is not that scary, overrated, wait until they go up the middle of the zadorov.

It’s gonna be a really physical series
I like Zadorov and all but is this actually your answer?

LA is more physical than us.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Fully expecting a quick series with our D being totally unable to handle their speed and quick puck movement. They are rather healthy (E. Kane is the only guy banged up), have many more years of playoff experience and have the best hockey player in the league.

They should beat Vancouver or Nashville with relative ease.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Fully expecting a quick series. They are rather healthy (E. Kane is the only guy banged up), have many more years of playoff experience and have the best hockey player in the league.

They should beat Vancouver or Nashville with relative ease.
I think if the Canucks did lose people would point to not having Demko but I 100% guarantee it will be because of the special teams battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad