Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t have anything against him, really. It’s not his fault Benning made him the centrepiece of one of the worst trades in franchise history.

I’m not emotionally invested in his success, but I won’t begrudge him it.
He held a full nmc and Van still was not a good team. Yet he chose to come to Van. When a guy opts after a decade 8 years with a 9th still under contract to extend with a bad team that has no real chance to turn it around probably best to stay away.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Having Tanev instead of Cole... imagine...

Surely he can win a cup with Dallas then he'll come back and help us win too. COPIUM

A really terrible, no good, very bad 4-game stretch against Edmonton aside, I thought Cole was good value this year. Did pretty much everything we could have hoped for from a veteran defensive signing - and he was huge in the opening round against Nashville.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
OEL and Forsling have both looked pretty good this playoffs. Will be cheering for them against the Rangers.

Plus Florida and Vancouver always have had a pretty close relationship re: trades.

Going to cheer for Dallas moving forward. Be nice to see Tanev get a cup. Really like Stankoven as well.

So frustrating because so many posters on here were shouting for him to be drafted by the Canucks. I think a poster did a dig up on this recently but can't remember exactly who - maybe it was @MS

HF Canucks could probably do a decent job scouting for an NHL team - then we would divide the salary evenly between us all :D

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So frustrating because so many posters on here were shouting for him to be drafted by the Canucks. I think a poster did a dig up on this recently but can't remember exactly who - maybe it was @MS

HF Canucks could probably do a decent job scouting for an NHL team - then we would divide the salary evenly between us all :D

I went back and clipped a bunch of stuff from the Draft Thread where there were many screaming for Stankoven at our pick and were stupefied that we could get him with a 2nd rounder. MS of course was one of the most ardent supporters. Let me see if I can dig that up.

@DFAC Found it:

Lets take a look back at our 2021 Draft Thread full of an insane amount of things that A) were bang on assessments and B) foreshadowed the pain yet to endure:

Before our pick:

Immediately after the pick:

A Swing and a Miss, as turns out we could draft better than the professionals:

Then the discussion continues with even more correct assessments:

Called my shot and looking like we'll have two 07' calibre drafts 2020/2021:

More correct predictions:

All in all we had seen enough of Jim and John to know that things were never going to be better and they had just made the worst trade in the salary cap era. Everyone is just in a totally justified pit of despair in this thread its actually quite dark to look back on. If only we know there was still 6 months of Benning.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
OEL and Forsling have both looked pretty good this playoffs. Will be cheering for them against the Rangers.

Plus Florida and Vancouver always have had a pretty close relationship re: trades.

And you freaking know the only reason why Klimovich was drafted is because Jim Benning was at the 2021 U18 WJC while his players were dealing with the media circus, and saw Klimovich score 6 goals...Probably overlooked his awkward strides and slow skating and just focused on the 6 goals.

One impression led to the usual stupid tunnel vision.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Just want the Oilers not to advance. Don't really like DAL, NYR...and really f*** the state of Florida more so than the hockey team.

Pretty meh semis where all I've got left is rooting against EDM, but not with enough vigor to go out of my way to watch the games.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
And you freaking know the only reason why Klimovich was drafted is because Jim Benning was at the 2021 U18 WJC while his players were dealing with the media circus, and saw Klimovich score 6 goals...Probably overlooked his awkward strides and slow skating and just focused on the 6 goals.

One impression led to the usual stupid tunnel vision.

Also, getting put into Benning's player "development" system is a death sentence for most non-elite prospects.

It's funny, but not ha-ha funny, that Benning spent his entire tenure here wasting resources on such gems as Gud, Sbisa, Pouliot, and OEL, but could have ended up with QH, Forsling, Tanev, and Chatfield in his top 6 if he had just spent more time/effort on player development. (Yes, I am aware that Forsling/Chatfield may never have turned out here no matter what.)

Reactions: vanuck and mathonwy

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I went back and clipped a bunch of stuff from the Draft Thread where there were many screaming for Stankoven at our pick and were stupefied that we could get him with a 2nd rounder. MS of course was one of the most ardent supporters. Let me see if I can dig that up.

@DFAC Found it:

Second post lmao

Reactions: timw33

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Also, getting put into Benning's player "development" system is a death sentence for most non-elite prospects.

It's funny, but not ha-ha funny, that Benning spent his entire tenure here wasting resources on such gems as Gud, Sbisa, Pouliot, and OEL, but could have ended up with QH, Forsling, Tanev, and Chatfield in his top 6 if he had just spent more time/effort on player development. (Yes, I am aware that Forsling/Chatfield may never have turned out here no matter what.)
McCann was smart enough to gtfo dodge.

Jake honestly should have followed suit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
McCann was smart enough to gtfo dodge.

Jake honestly should have followed suit.
McCann was sent packing before he could get assigned to Cull and the A club. Whether it was Cull himself, or the environment in the A, no one developed as a skater during Benning's time in the A. If Stecher and Hutton were not NCAA seniors they probably get buried down there with Briseboise, Woo, etc.

Even Gaudette whom they had planned to play in the AHL, got sidetracked because Benning didn't obtain enough C depth to keep him in the A and thus had to call him up before he was NHL ready with an all around game.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Was it Kevin Fiala that publicly criticized the 1-3-1? Wonder how he and some of the others feel about this.
i thought the rationale was, they are only playing 1-3-1 because there wasn't enough time to do something different, which i find a BS excuse but one would assume they have to walk away from that play style considering how it lead to them getting kicked to the curb by the Oilers.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
McCann was sent packing before he could get assigned to Cull and the A club. Whether it was Cull himself, or the environment in the A, no one developed as a skater during Benning's time in the A. If Stecher and Hutton were not NCAA seniors they probably get buried down there with Briseboise, Woo, etc.

Even Gaudette whom they had planned to play in the AHL, got sidetracked because Benning didn't obtain enough C depth to keep him in the A and thus had to call him up before he was NHL ready with an all around game.
McCann traded himself.

He didn't want to be buddy buddy with a bunch of losers and jaded vets. Hard to blame him.

Probably why we got NoGood in return.

1716408086392.png

Don't underestimate how shitty Jon Weisbrod was as a manager.

Jon, director of player personnel, only looked out for himself.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Go Dallas and Florida hoping Stars win for two reasons. Tanev gets a ring and owner Gaglardi has two rings to stick in face of Aquaman.
NHL desperately wants NYR in the finals. FLA in the finals last year with LV, the ratings were disappointing. Doubt it changes this year if they return to the finals.

Ideal matchup for NHL is:
NYR/Dal
NYR/Edm
Dal/Fla
Fla/Edm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad