Around the League Thread | Coaching Carousel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
When did we wear blue and yellow?

I was making a joke about how the Canucks also got away from their 90 colour scheme and returned to their great 70s colours only for a bunch of nostalgia about the bad 90s colour scheme and logo to crop up.

A different answer is the Canucks were originally going to where blue and gold but Sabres filed first so the Canucks had to pivot. So, 1969.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I was making a joke about how the Canucks also got away from their 90 colour scheme and returned to their great 70s colours only for a bunch of nostalgia about the bad 90s colour scheme and logo to crop up.

A different answer is the Canucks were originally going to where blue and gold but Sabres filed first so the Canucks had to pivot. So, 1969.
Eww.. wtf does gold have to do with vancouver

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
60s and 70s were a wild time! Look at the Golden Seals and their yellow trim and long legged hockey pants.
I wish i was alive in that era for good and bad.. but yes the seals.. atleast they are golden lol

Withought looking it up any insight to inspiration for yellow orange and black?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I was making a joke about how the Canucks
also got away from their 90 colour scheme and returned to their great 70s colours only for a bunch of nostalgia about the bad 90s colour scheme and logo to crop up.
1662430142140.gif

Reactions: Vector

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I wish i was alive in that era for good and bad.. but yes the seals.. atleast they are golden lol

I believe market research found that those colours were considered to be intimidating.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

All I know was the scheme and uniform change was an update on the 80s switch to yellow as the primary. I’m 36 so no firsthand knowledge.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hard to tell the sincerity of this post, looks like a clever way to use calling someone gay as a pejorative. Is poking fun at someone struggling with a closeted sexuality the superior ethic here?
Yeah there's a trap that well-meaning liberals often fall into of assuming that all homophobes are gay.

I think the intention is to highlight the hypocrisy, but I think it is often received as a joke where the punchline is still someone being gay.

Of course, many homophobes are indeed gay or bi-curious, but many of them are just living incredibly constricted black and white lives through an evangelically religious prism that turns everything into 'right and wrong' regarding morality. Though ironically, they seem to think it's fine to be a bigot, fine to exploit people for financial gain, fine to send people to pointless wars for the profits of the ownership class, etc.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah there's a trap that well-meaning liberals often fall into of assuming that all homophobes are gay.

I think the intention is to highlight the hypocrisy, but I think it is often received as a joke where the punchline is still someone being gay.

Of course, many homophobes are indeed gay or bi-curious, but many of them are just living incredibly constricted black and white lives through an evangelically religious prism that turns everything into 'right and wrong' regarding morality. Though ironically, they seem to think it's fine to be a bigot, fine to exploit people for financial gain, fine to send people to pointless wars for the profits of the ownership class, etc.
So is there such thing as right and wrong?

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018

Kane and Virtanen together, absolutely nothing can go wrong.

Given Jake's propensity for showing up to camp out of shape, I don't expect them to stay together for very long.

Only guy with the impressive feat of showing up out of shape twice in a single season. Then good ol Jimbo gave him the bag anyways.

Reactions: Peen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
ah montreal and slow developing former #3 picks

galchenyuk out, drouin in

kotkaniemi out, dach in
$13.5 mill for Dach over 4 years. Keeps him rfa when it expires. Didn’t accrue a ufa in year 2 due to his broken wrist at the world juniors.

Galchenyuk and Drouin they tried to make the C when they were more comfortable on the wing. KK over drafted due to his position vs taking the players with the higher ceiling in either tkachuk or Hughes.

Hopefully for the Habs sake they have more realistic expectations for Dach. If he can slot in behind Suzuki and produce 2C numbers that’s probably a fair expectation.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Given Jake's propensity for showing up to camp out of shape, I don't expect them to stay together for very long.

Only guy with the impressive feat of showing up out of shape twice in a single season. Then good ol Jimbo gave him the bag anyways.
Other from this tweet..is their any other confirmation about Jake doing a PTO for the Oilers..?

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Stutzle at 8.35M x 8 scares me for what Petterson's eventual extension will need to be.

I don't understand the trend of awarding huge contracts to young players by gambling that they'll hit their potential..

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Stutzle at 8.35M x 8 scares me for what Petterson's eventual extension will need to be.

I don't understand the trend of awarding huge contracts to young players by gambling that they'll hit their potential..

In the case of young players you are making the gamble that with rising caps the contract is a deal the last 4 years.

One alternative is what we used to see...rewarding only for past accomplishments only to have the aging player fizzle out in the first couple of years of the deal. This is the UFA signing problem and can be extended to those extensions that take players past UFA status.

Now you have to be accurate in your assessment of the young player but to me a Stutzle extension like that scares me far less than a similar extension to Horvat (or Miller).

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the case of young players you are making the gamble that with rising caps the contract is a deal the last 4 years.

One alternative is what we used to see...rewarding only for past accomplishments only to have the aging player fizzle out in the first couple of years of the deal. This is the UFA signing problem and can be extended to those extensions that take players past UFA status.

Now you have to be accurate in your assessment of the young player but to me a Stutzle extension like that scares me far less than a similar extension to Horvat (or Miller).
Gambling on 21-29 is easier to stomach than from 29/30 to 36/37. More likely to be able to retain and move on than it is to send a 34 year onto another club.
Even Petey at 25-33 isn’t going to be that difficult to stomach in terms of “prime” years.

Reactions: BimJenning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Next season, Ottawa will have 4 players with near 8m contracts (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, and Chabot) and DeBrincat will be a RFA. If DeBrincat gets near 8m, they'll have about half their cap space committed to 5 players.

• Wow
Reactions: supercanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad