Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think the lessons to take away from Marner's diminishing stock in the eyes of fans are pretty straightforward. First lesson would be to not make ridiculous contract demands, but if the player and agent are so inclined they should shut up about it and keep quiet like Nylander's camp did instead of using media mouthpieces like Dreger to try and drive up the price. Also would help to not immediately start lobbying for a big payday on social media not even a day after your supposed buddy just signed his deal.

Second would be taking responsibility for poor play when you very clearly didn't have it, it's not cute when you underperform in the playoffs and your answer in the media is "naw I wouldn't change anything about my game." Granted this is an issue with the entire core who keep repeating the same lines about "lessons" and how they're "right there" despite all evidence to the contrary.

Third would be to show some modicum of fight or pushback when you're very obviously getting bullied. No one likes watching a pacifist, especially in hockey. You don't have to drop the gloves but no one wants to see you smile and laugh after taking a punch in the mouth or getting face-washed. Matthews had the same problem but he's better about it now and is more willing to engage physically and not take any guff. Mitch still plays like a coward who's afraid of taking a hit.

Of course all of this would be ignored if Marner showed up in the playoffs like he's paid to do and actually produced like similar stars in this league. The fact that he doesn't makes all the aforementioned issues more glaring. Fans would be willing to give him more grace though if he didn't make his negotiation a circus, wasn't overpaid, and was more willing to take responsibilities for this teams many failures, especially since he wears an A.

It's all about Marner's brand...he's in the business of making money first...why would he take responsibility for anything that could tarnish his image?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bobrovski looks like a deranged lunatic genius
1715987195988.jpeg

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Carlo smashes Verhaeghe no near the puck and Boston scores. On the CBC panel, they completely omit this fact and show a shortened replay. This league is rigged. "Good physical hockey" my ass. I don't know any other sport where the rules change from regular season to playoffs.

Stole this from the mains. Russian judge near Edmonton bench gave that dive a 9/10. Landing was suspect. Form was excellent. Good job McDavid. PP awarded.

View attachment 872263

Do you guys still want this piece of shit on the Leafs? Never been a fan of this entitled athlete.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Panthers would be wise not to extend Ekblad, what a train wreck he is defensively. Forsling has carried him all season.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Swayman is the only reason this series isn’t over already quite frankly.

If it was the Leafs against these guys we’d be swept getting pumped 5-1, 6-2 every game with our goaltending lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad