Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

ezgif-3-dcc235535f.gif

Biggest reason McDavid wasn't nominated by his peers for the Ted Lindsay Award...every player in the league knows he's the biggest diver in the world and is in the wrong sport.

Why isn't he getting fined by the NHL? It's blatant and embarrassing.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Zach Hyman
last 5 games ... 2 goals, 1 assist.
last 4 games ... 0 goals, 1 assist.
last 3 games ... 0+0

Shocker. When they contain McDavid, Hyman is no where to be seen.

Game 4 they put McDrai on one line all game and moved Hyman to line 2. Nothing from Hyman.

Game 5 McDavid was contained. No show Hyman.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Shocker. When they contain McDavid, Hyman is no where to be seen.

Game 4 they put McDrai on one line all game and moved Hyman to line 2. Nothing from Hyman.

Game 5 McDavid was contained. No show Hyman.
Same story with Edmonton yet again. When Draisaitl and/or McDavid aren't scoring or are contained, the secondary scorers and depth of the Oilers are nowhere to be found. Nugent-Hopkins, Kane, Hyman -- they need to chip in with some goals of their own to help the team out.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
What are peoples thoughts on the Pettersson "charging" penalty.

I personally don't mind it. A lot of these "reverse hits" are moving further and further into interference territory.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Honestly this forum does not represent the average Leafs fan. Almost every Maple Leafs fan ik spanning across jobs in different industries and in school just passively cheers for the remaining Canadian team when the Leafs get eliminated. I do the same thing. Since people who participate on a hockey forum are more likely to be hardcore that sentiment is not common here.

I'm rooting for Vancouver because with a healthy Demko they have greater potential of going all the way. Heard Demko might not be too far out now.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Honestly this forum does not represent the average Leafs fan. Almost every Maple Leafs fan ik spanning across jobs in different industries and in school just passively cheers for the remaining Canadian team when the Leafs get eliminated. I do the same thing. Since people who participate on a hockey forum are more likely to be hardcore that sentiment is not common here.

I'm rooting for Vancouver because with a healthy Demko they have greater potential of going all the way. Heard Demko might not be too far out now.
But it does accurately represent fans of other Canadian teams.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Perhaps Leafs' fans can learn from Canucks' fans in support of their overpaid non-performing star.

Too late for Marner (he'll be gone and his image was forever destroyed by his RFA contract's demand) but perhaps for future young players like Cowan if/when he becomes a star.

I think the lessons to take away from Marner's diminishing stock in the eyes of fans are pretty straightforward. First lesson would be to not make ridiculous contract demands, but if the player and agent are so inclined they should shut up about it and keep quiet like Nylander's camp did instead of using media mouthpieces like Dreger to try and drive up the price. Also would help to not immediately start lobbying for a big payday on social media not even a day after your supposed buddy just signed his deal.

Second would be taking responsibility for poor play when you very clearly didn't have it, it's not cute when you underperform in the playoffs and your answer in the media is "naw I wouldn't change anything about my game." Granted this is an issue with the entire core who keep repeating the same lines about "lessons" and how they're "right there" despite all evidence to the contrary.

Third would be to show some modicum of fight or pushback when you're very obviously getting bullied. No one likes watching a pacifist, especially in hockey. You don't have to drop the gloves but no one wants to see you smile and laugh after taking a punch in the mouth or getting face-washed. Matthews had the same problem but he's better about it now and is more willing to engage physically and not take any guff. Mitch still plays like a coward who's afraid of taking a hit.

Of course all of this would be ignored if Marner showed up in the playoffs like he's paid to do and actually produced like similar stars in this league. The fact that he doesn't makes all the aforementioned issues more glaring. Fans would be willing to give him more grace though if he didn't make his negotiation a circus, wasn't overpaid, and was more willing to take responsibilities for this teams many failures, especially since he wears an A.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
But it does accurately represent fans of other Canadian teams.

Anti Toronto and anti Ontario sentiment whether as a meme or with any weight seems to be common outside of Ontario. When I was out at the east coast my girlfriend at the time would call it "Onterrible." It was kind of a long running meme way to refer to Ontario.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad