Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Wonder if Mitch would waive for Carolina. He'd be their most talented player by a decent margin. Carolina has lots of depth but lacks high end talent.

Not sure how much better he is than the top forward in Carolina...Aho doesn't get to play with Matthews, but is much better than Marner in the playoffs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wonder if Mitch would waive for Carolina. He'd be their most talented player by a decent margin. Carolina has lots of depth but lacks high end talent.

It would depend on how seriously they adhere to their cap structure. Sebastian Aho is their pace car in terms of salary and I don't think is that different than Marner in terms of ability. An Aho, Marner duo up top would be interesting but how much do they want to pay Mitch?

That said, they will be poised to lose a piece or two on defense so they really can't keep running it back either without some change.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
But we added guys to do that didnt we?

What happened? Mathews is one of the best against the boards and stealing pucks. Are you refering to Nylander ? who lead the league a few yrs ago in dirty area goals? Or is this all about Marner? How about Reilly winning some board battles in front of our net?

Knies doesnt work the boards? Tavares? Im trying to think in the top 6 who struggles there? Marner?
Well, based on the offensive output, I would argue they all struggle there. Marner being the exception because he avoids those areas lol.

I don't really know what it is, or why they cannot score, but the OT goal Knies scored was an example of what needs to happen more often. Take the puck to the net and create some luck.

I also heard someone say the other night that point shots create chaos. So true. Something this deal does not do. So, the guys without the puck need to go to the hard areas in front of the net and the D have to get the pucks through, something else we suck at. This Leafs team so often is predictable, passing around the perimeter looking for the perfect shot... I think more point shots would change that. Chances off puck recoveries, deflections, rebounds... that's what works in those areas in the playoffs. So maybe if they are creating some of those changes, the other skill-type plays may become more effective.

Reactions: Da Mash

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, based on the offensive output, I would argue they all struggle there. Marner being the exception because he avoids those areas lol.

I don't really know what it is, or why they cannot score, but the OT goal Knies scored was an example of what needs to happen more often. Take the puck to the net and create some luck.

I also heard someone say the other night that point shots create chaos. So true. Something this deal does not do. So, the guys without the puck need to go to the hard areas in front of the net and the D have to get the pucks through, something else we suck at. This Leafs team so often is predictable, passing around the perimeter looking for the perfect shot... I think more point shots would change that. Chances off puck recoveries, deflections, rebounds... that's what works in those areas in the playoffs. So maybe if they are creating some of those changes, the other skill-type plays may become more effective.

We definitely need a point shot (threat) to triangulate the attack, pull apart a static defense and also create more chaos, whether that's creating rebounds and tips or jut forcing a defenseman or forward to have to go behind the net in a scramble to get a puck, or turn away from coverage to swipe at a rebound to open things up.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I can actually see the Rangers choking this away tbh. Carolina has been better for large stretches but have been losing the goaltending battle and don't have the same high end scoring talent that the Rangers do, but they've locked in defensively now. Rod got tired of being swept I guess lol.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Guy just can't get it together. Avs might be cooked, and you gotta wonder if they move on from Nuke after this.

Terrible stuff, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he can't get it together. I know these issues all too well. At a certain stage, willpower is irrelevant. It's like chastising someone for not being able to beat cancer. Sometimes the disease is just too strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad