GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
These playoffs have been absolutely incredible. From an Oilers fans perspective its been about as good as it gets. :D

I do find it curious though that teams like the Lightning and Flames...penguins and Caps got eliminated.
I think its a coaching downgrade, losing Oshie and potentially team fatigue that ultimately did in the Caps but as for the other teams its a bit of a mystery to me.
It would take a little digging but I am curious if there is a common denominator with the Flames. Lightning, and Pens. Maybe they are built for the Reg season but not so much for the playoffs.
Interesting to think about.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have no idea who to cheer for in these playoffs anymore. The Blue Jackets...? Isles?

Also, when was the last time an NHL head coach won the Cup back-to-back with two different teams, has it ever happened before? Would be cool to see Trotz do that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not sure if it has been said yet, but these playoffs are a reminder of our need to keep balance in our roster for when/if we get back to the playoffs. Yes, speed and skill are the new NHL, but we also need guys like Kassian, Khaira, Larsson and Nurse in the playoffs.

Reactions: McFuhryous and TB12

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have no idea who to cheer for in these playoffs anymore. The Blue Jackets...? Isles?

Also, when was the last time an NHL head coach won the Cup back-to-back with two different teams, has it ever happened before? Would be cool to see Trotz do that.

I'm cheering for one of the Isles, Jackets, or Avs. Although I would be ok with every team except for San Jose.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Had to look it up.

Tommy Gorman won back to back cups with different teams as a coach.

Chicago in 1934 and the Montreal Maroons in 1935.

Reactions: Zaddy

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
These playoffs have been absolutely incredible. From an Oilers fans perspective its been about as good as it gets. :D

I do find it curious though that teams like the Lightning and Flames...penguins and Caps got eliminated.
I think its a coaching downgrade, losing Oshie and potentially team fatigue that ultimately did in the Caps but as for the other teams its a bit of a mystery to me.
It would take a little digging but I am curious if there is a common denominator with the Flames. Lightning, and Pens. Maybe they are built for the Reg season but not so much for the playoffs.
Interesting to think about.

Sometimes there's just bad luck and teams get cold at the absolute worst time possible even though in nearly any other situation they would have won a series. That's why you just need to make the playoffs because anything can happen. For most of these teams they don't need to make many changes at all, but just tweak a couple things and have better luck and they will do better next year in the playoffs.

Reactions: guymez

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sometimes there's just bad luck and teams get cold at the absolute worst time possible even though in nearly any other situation they would have won a series. That's why you just need to make the playoffs because anything can happen. For most of these teams they don't need to make many changes at all, but just tweak a couple things and have better luck and they will do better next year in the playoffs.
I disagree. You might be right about Washington and Vegas.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Has anybody else lost all interest in the playoffs now? Bruins are the only team left that resembles anything close to a contender. Hockey has reached this weird point where there is basically no separation between the teams. Playoffs are pretty much a coin-toss at this point. I know some people like parity, but it has gone too far IMO. I prefer watching powerhouses meet up. Wings/Avs, Pens/Caps, Hawks/Kings. I miss seeing the best play the best.

I'll pretty much be watching the NBA now as they have some really good series coming up in round 2.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Has anybody else lost all interest in the playoffs now? Bruins are the only team left that resembles anything close to a contender. Hockey has reached this weird point where there is basically no separation between the teams. Playoffs are pretty much a coin-toss at this point. I know some people like parity, but it has gone too far IMO. I prefer watching powerhouses meet up. Wings/Avs, Pens/Caps, Hawks/Kings. I miss seeing the best play the best.

I'll pretty much be watching the NBA now as they have some really good series coming up in round 2.
I mean in the sense that most of the teams I wanted gone are defeated, sure.

I didn't have much interest in last night's game until it went to OT.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

So to you watching Golden state win every year is better than watching underdog teams take out the powerhouse teams? Are you okay?

Reactions: North and Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I much prefer parity.

However, I think we're in an awkward stage where there are a bunch of up and coming contenders, and a lot of the previous contenders are coming to a stop. That makes it possible for some lesser teams to do well, and surprises.

Don't get me wrong though. I like these surprises and underdog winners. Although San Jose is built like a contender. So is St. Louis and Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad