Around the league part 2

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That comment on the NHL panel of all places about the official having put money on the game as a cause to overturn the Dallas goal, has not gotten out of my head. Lundqvist Weekes and two other guys I forgot who were talking about the goal being overturned during the OT intermission, and a comment was made about the possibility of the official having put money on the game.

This whole draft kings shit is way too dangerous for the integrity of the league. I wouldn't trust a Dr with a Marlboro wallpaper in his office. And the comment after that goal being waived off.. I dont know man it seems like really bad optics.. shit opens the doors to way too much bullshit.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That comment on the NHL panel of all places about the official having put money on the game as a cause to overturn the Dallas goal, has not gotten out of my head. Lundqvist Weekes and two other guys I forgot who were talking about the goal being overturned during the OT intermission, and a comment was made about the possibility of the official having put money on the game.

This whole draft kings shit is way too dangerous for the integrity of the league. I wouldn't trust a Dr with a Marlboro wallpaper in his office. And the comment after that goal being waived off.. I dont know man it seems like really bad optics.. shit opens the doors to way too much bullshit.
it's just a matter of time until there's an actual scandal

too much money involved

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

too much money involved
NBA just had one for some scrub. He was betting the under on himself. No one really cared but he did get banned from the NBA. MLB currently has one ongoing. NFL just had one a couple years ago (Ridley).

Last edited:
Reactions: tny760

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
It's shocking there could be negative consequences to gambling. I would have thought gambling would be a seamless and completely unintrusive addition to professional sports. Who could have ever seen this coming?!?!? ;)

Seriously though, if professional sports does not get ahead of this stuff and pull things back from their greed and separate....it seems like we're going to eventually end up (10, 15, 25 years from now) with professional sports being similar to WWE theatrics and drama (in a very bad way).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

too much money involved
It's honestly out of hand. The amount of draft kings promotions there are you'd think this is the Draft Kings League. It's terrifying. I wouldn't be surprised if there is honestly match fixing in the NHL.

Reactions: tny760

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It's honestly out of hand. The amount of draft kings promotions there are you'd think this is the Draft Kings League. It's terrifying. I wouldn't be surprised if there is honestly match fixing in the NHL.
Hockey is too hard to fix unless players/goalies are involved.
You can call a penalty but it doesnt guarantee a goal on a powerplay.
Wouldnt be surprised if they are trying though. There have been some insane calls this year and these playoffs especially.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's shocking there could be negative consequences to gambling. I would have thought gambling would be a seamless and completely unintrusive addition to professional sports. Who could have ever seen this coming?!?!? ;)

Seriously though, if professional sports does not get ahead of this stuff and pull things back from their greed and separate....it seems like we're going to eventually end up (10, 15, 25 years from now) with professional sports being similar to WWE theatrics and drama (in a very bad way).
Not knocking on anyone who gambles, but I always avoid it for multiple reasons:
- I always lose
- If I have added incentive for a particular outcome, my objectivity and perspective gets changed in ways I don't want it to.

Not saying the refs are involved in any gambling, but I am concerned at how much sports encourage gambling, period. It could just lead to issues with officials, even if indirectly.

Heck, I still have objectivity issues with the Kings despite just rooting for them.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I want nothing more than for Vancouver to win tonight but I'm sure because of that they'll lose. I'm pretty confident that Dallas will mop them up anyway.
I'd kinda like to see that whole team and city get their hopes up with a decisive win tonight and then get grinded to a nub next week.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hockey is too hard to fix unless players/goalies are involved.
You can call a penalty but it doesnt guarantee a goal on a powerplay.
Wouldnt be surprised if they are trying though. There have been some insane calls this year and these playoffs especially.
I think it’s a lot more easier than you realize in the best leagues because there’s going to be mind numbing calls and players taking days off. I think match fixing is a thing, the fact the draft lottery isn’t live is telling.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Gambling is fun if done within moderation, just like having a beer or two during a game. Both should cost you like $40 max.

And players are penalized for betting outside the rules as it should be. Conflating players violating betting policies with fans gambling isn’t apples to apples.

Reactions: King'sPawn

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I'd kinda like to see that whole team and city get their hopes up with a decisive win tonight and then get grinded to a nub next week.

Nah, kill them off tonight. I don't want to take the chance of the league suspending the top players of Dallas for looking at McDavid the wrong way.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Gambling is fun if done within moderation, just like having a beer or two during a game. Both should cost you like $40 max.

And players are penalized for betting outside the rules as it should be. Conflating players violating betting policies with fans gambling isn’t apples to apples.
it's really easy to bet through people and there's no way the NHL would know.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
it's really easy to bet through people and there's no way the NHL would know.
Didn’t the player in Ottawa get suspended for violating a betting policy? And Otani’s interpreter was brought down by an FBI investigation.

So it may be easy to obfuscate betting activity but the penalties are real for those who get caught. So a deterrent exists just like penalties for abuse of alcohol. Frankly, I could see players entering a recovery program for gambling addiction in order to shelter themselves from immediate consequences and keep hope alive for an NHL job.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Canucks might be able to turn home ice advantage into an upset win tonight.

But the odds are on Edmonton’s top talent winning this one.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Petterson and Miller need to outplay McDavid and Draisatl tonight for the Canucks to pull this out.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Will admit I barely watch Vancouver play but not really that impressed with Hughes. He skates extremely well but that's about it. How did he end up with 90+ points?

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Will admit I barely watch Vancouver play but not really that impressed with Hughes. He skates extremely well but that's about it. How did he end up with 90+ points?
hes 100% hurt, with what im not exactly sure. the canucks are just idling - watching the game pass them by. the oilers are going to win this game if they dont wake the f up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad