Around the league part 2

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Maybe Van shouldve found a better backup for fragile Demko.. hindsight 20/20 but de smith has been a trashcan all year

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Jets are my adopted team this year. Gabe is still a joy to watch.
I am not rooting for anyone in particular, but the Jets would probably be one of the least annoying to win and I don't really hold any animosity against them for taking advantage of Blake.

Honestly, out of the entire field, I don't care if anyone wins other than Edmonton. Pretty much any team can win but them and I'd be happy with it :P

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Vilardi with a sick little pass to Scheifele for a tap in goal.

Yeah it was nice. If not for that he'd have been -3. On goal 3 he lost his man so bad and just coasted into the play as Parise scored. Avs looked like Avs with good enough goaltending tonight and took game 2. That's all they really need.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Also damnit can no longer find the tweet that showed the Jets record with and without Vilardi but it was a stark difference

18-13-4 without
34-11-2 with

some of you may have to avert your eyes these playoffs

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Vancouver is in trouble, Edmonton has a pretty clear path to the Western Finals.

Other side of the west is going to be so damn tough.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Can you imagine if the Wild were in the playoffs?

We'd be getting doubly mocked. "How bout that play by Faber? He's only 21. Boy the Kings sure could use him right now!"
I knew Faber was going to be stud (not this hot out of the gate) but still thought that deal was worth it at the time. LA needed scoring help. What is weird is that Fiala has had an issue meshing with the top 6 since getting here.

Was thinking larger issue is that Danault is still our 2nd line centre. If one of PLD or QB had established themselves as a #1/2 C I think our team balances out into more typical roles better. Honestly I want a coach that just puts people in their ideal roles and goes with it for 20 games next year. Let them make mistakes and grow into the roles you want them to be in.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I knew Faber was going to be stud (not this hot out of the gate) but still thought that deal was worth it at the time. LA needed scoring help. What is weird is that Fiala has had an issue meshing with the top 6 since getting here.

Was thinking larger issue is that Danault is still our 2nd line centre. If one of PLD or QB had established themselves as a #1/2 C I think our team balances out into more typical roles better. Honestly I want a coach that just puts people in their ideal roles and goes with it for 20 games next year. Let them make mistakes and grow into the roles you want them to be in.
Fiala had that issue in Nashville and Minnesota as well - it's his proven M.O. and if a fan like me knew, you would think that the team management would as well.

Which is why GBHs takes are so ridiculous. Hockey lifers are just people, largely uneducated ones as well. It's an old boys network of sheep following trends instead of using critical thinking skills to make bold decisions instead of following somebody else's path. There is just no "there" there with our management.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Fiala had that issue in Nashville and Minnesota as well - it's his proven M.O. and if a fan like me knew, you would think that the team management would as well.

Which is why GBHs takes are so ridiculous. Hockey lifers are just people, largely uneducated ones as well. It's an old boys network of sheep following trends instead of using critical thinking skills to make bold decisions instead of following somebody else's path. There is just no "there" there with our management.
But Blake was such a fresh and innovative mind that they had to make him GM before he got snatched up by a different franchise.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I knew Faber was going to be stud (not this hot out of the gate) but still thought that deal was worth it at the time. LA needed scoring help.
The value LA paid at the time was fine. A 1st and a quality prospect. That's the price.

The thing is, should LA have been in 'Win Now' mode? (The answer is no). That's the real issue.

The irony is that Faber has become Doughty-esque. It's painful to watch.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
For Blake, he's probably cemented his legacy as a GM. He's probably always going to be known as the guy who traded away Faber, and traded for PLD.

And that legacy will stick with him not just in LA, but around the league as well.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
For Blake, he's probably cemented his legacy as a GM. He's probably always going to be known as the guy who traded away Faber, and traded for PLD.

And that legacy will stick with him not just in LA, but around the league as well.
At parties, Blake will say he was the guy that drafted Vilardi and Faber.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Can you imagine if the Wild were in the playoffs?

We'd be getting doubly mocked. "How bout that play by Faber? He's only 21. Boy the Kings sure could use him right now!"
I wish it was the Wild vs Jets!

Would have been a beautiful collection of "Wow, did LA ever make some puzzling decisions with the talent traded away here! Los Angeles really could have used this young talent!" statements.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
1713986786974.png

Billy Guerin must have really made it known to these guys that participating in this tournament might really help your chances in making it on to the 2025 4-Nations or the big one the 2026 Olympics. A good showing here and a big year in the NHL next year could get quite a few names on this roster some consideration.

They could fill out the roster with Nick Shore, John Zeiler, Noah Clarke, Scott Parse and Jamie McBain and it would still be the most stacked US roster ever for the worlds.

I am interested that Faber turned it down, is he hurt? Does he think he's shown enough.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
View attachment 858956

Billy Guerin must have really made it known to these guys that participating in this tournament might really help your chances in making it on to the 2025 4-Nations or the big one the 2026 Olympics. A good showing here and a big year in the NHL next year could get quite a few names on this roster some consideration.

They could fill out the roster with Nick Shore, John Zeiler, Noah Clarke, Scott Parse and Jamie McBain and it would still be the most stacked US roster ever for the worlds.

I am interested that Faber turned it down, is he hurt? Does he think he's shown enough.
i just saw something the other day that faber apparently had multiple fractured ribs for a long stretch of the season

i was too busy throwing things to post about it here

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
View attachment 858956

We should start a rumor that Faber refused playing and he wants to be traded.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
If Blake is still around in the future, he'd better f***ing hope Clarke turns into an All-Star stud of a player. And at this point its f***ing obvious you take Vilardi and all his health problems over PLD with his cancerous aura and lackluster effort, center depth be damned.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The value LA paid at the time was fine. A 1st and a quality prospect. That's the price.

The thing is, should LA have been in 'Win Now' mode? (The answer is no). That's the real issue.

The irony is that Faber has become Doughty-esque. It's painful to watch.
That IS true, but the issue isn't that they traded for an offensive star at a high cost, it's that Fiala isn't a star and has a well-earned reputation for being incompatible with players who need the puck. He has always been at his best with players who defer to him and buy him space and time.

It was Kovalchuk all over again. Every single person who knows Kopitar and Kovalchuk should have immediately known that it was impossible for them to play together. Anze has specific needs, Fiala has specific needs and they do not mesh.

So the reality - which should have been known at the time of the deal - is that you are trading a blue chipper and a first for a 2nd/3rd liner who cannot play on your first line. It was too steep a price to pay for a supporting player.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That IS true, but the issue isn't that they traded for an offensive star at a high cost, it's that Fiala isn't a star and has a well-earned reputation for being incompatible with players who need the puck. He has always been at his best with players who defer to him and buy him space and time.

It was Kovalchuk all over again. Every single person who knows Kopitar and Kovalchuk should have immediately known that it was impossible for them to play together. Anze has specific needs, Fiala has specific needs and they do not mesh.

So the reality - which should have been known at the time of the deal - is that you are trading a blue chipper and a first for a 2nd/3rd liner who cannot play on your first line. It was too steep a price to pay for a supporting player.
That's fine, and I don't really disagree, but I'll always believe that direction (and timing) is the most important thing because mistakes will be made regardless. It's not like Dean didn't make his fair share of errors. Difference was Lombardi kept the ship saling in the right direction and focused on a cohesive roster and culture despite the mistakes he made.

For example, I love Danault, and he was exactly what LA needed, but that doesn't mean it was a good move.

Last edited:
Reactions: bland

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

How much better would we view this trade and Blake (not to mention the actual team success/future) had Blake held out for it being Grans instead of Faber. Heck, even if it were Spence or Durzi. So many options and he gave up Faber so easily. SMH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad