Around the league part 2

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Hey surfnutz or axl
The only thing that you wrote that was correct in that entire wall of text was that the nhl is not a developmental leauge.
One sentence.
What a mess.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah it's just Fagemo
And Faber
And Vilardi
And Durzi
And Kupari
And Sean Walker
And Colin Miller
And Amadio
And Dowd
And Brodzinski
And even Hudson f***in Fasching

We'll see what you're saying next year about Turcotte, Kaliyev, Akil Thomas, Spence, Clarke.

It sure isn't possibly at all Blake or the Kings development and deployment. nope, just f***in Fagemo. Get it together, kid.

Id love to link that post i made about former kings playing elsewhere and making an immediate impact on their new, better teams but the search function is broken.

The ego on this mediocre ass organization thinking they're the smartest ones in the room is f***ing appalling and thankfully it appears the rest of the league is catching on
Erik Cernak says hello =_)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
the nhl is not a developmental leauge.
Just jumping in on this point. Not to pick on you, but because it's usually the most common "general" point against playing prospects in the NHL.

It's true, the NHL is not a developmental league. But players don't come into the NHL as finished products. Connor Bedard is going to get better than he is now. Should he go back to the WHL until he's too old? Then play in the AHL until he's at his physical peak?

No.

We have players who can play at an NHL level. They may need some polish. But in the end, we try to get them to become better versions of themselves at every level.

So, I just hope this is kept in mind when people are gun shy about playing prospects in the NHLbecause "it's not a developmental league."

Reactions: theMajor and YAYSAY

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Just jumping in on this point. Not to pick on you, but because it's usually the most common "general" point against playing prospects in the NHL.

It's true, the NHL is not a developmental league. But players don't come into the NHL as finished products. Connor Bedard is going to get better than he is now. Should he go back to the WHL until he's too old? Then play in the AHL until he's at his physical peak?

No.

We have players who can play at an NHL level. They may need some polish. But in the end, we try to get them to become better versions of themselves at every level.

So, I just hope this is kept in mind when people are gun shy about playing prospects in the NHLbecause "it's not a developmental league."
I always understood this statement as global development of players - like not a developmental leauge ala the ohl or major juniors

bland

Jul 1, 2004

No.

Coming out of a rebuild by any other name would smell as... developmental.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Correction the sabres are getting piped now instead. f*** the east coast losers man lol

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Happy for Quick! A year ago, this didn't look like it was going to happen. There is only one thing about this achievement that sucks, and we all know what that is.

IMHO, Jonathan Quick's case is the greatest example among all the players who have left that they HAD to leave, they must leave the Kings in order to CONTINUE to achieve their true potentials.

I had stalled and one of the biggest turnarounds for my career was leaving the Los Angeles Kings- shouldn't be the mantra of so many players

It says there is something really off and wrong with this org's culture.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Happy for Quick! A year ago, this didn't look like it was going to happen. There is only one thing about this achievement that sucks, and we all know what that is.

IMHO, Jonathan Quick's case is the greatest example among all the players who have left that they HAD to leave, they must leave the Kings in order to CONTINUE to achieve their true potentials.

I had stalled and one of the biggest turnarounds for my career was leaving the Los Angeles Kings- shouldn't be the mantra of so many players

This is all on Quick. This one doesn’t fall on the organization. Quick sucked and if he wanted to stay in the league, he needed to change his style and that’s what he did. He wasn’t that great with Vegas either. He relaxed his playing style a bit and got behind a good defense like the Rangers and isn’t their starting goalie.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
All those things you mentioned shell may be true, but shesterkin sucked behind the same team and defense earlier in the year.
Rangers goalie coach benoit allaire had alot to do with quicks turnaround but there was alot of talent there for allaire to work with.
Quick still makes the insane acrobatic saves he used to make (see his reverse scorpion save from earlier thiis yr) just less of them. He also plays much deeper in his net.
I thinkhis resurgence is a combination if alot of things not least of which has been a change of scenery. Sometimes ANY change is good.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
NHL enforcers have a similar life expectancy to pro-wrestlers.
And NFL lineman and body builders.

Fighting in hockey does add something to the game that other sports don't have. It's especially exciting live. But I can't support it knowing what we know now about CTE.

People on here post clips of Clifford getting into fights in the AHL and praise it as if it's a good thing. It's terrible IMO. He and others like him might be sacrificing their long term quality of life for basically nothing.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
And NFL lineman and body builders.

Fighting in hockey does add something to the game that other sports don't have. It's especially exciting live. But I can't support it knowing what we know now about CTE.

People on here post clips of Clifford getting into fights in the AHL and praise it as if it's a good thing. It's terrible IMO. He and others like him might be sacrificing their long term quality of life for basically nothing.
If the referees would police the game like thier supposed to, i think there'd be alot less fighting

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I don't think it's that tough to identify that part of the problem has been and continues to be the organization's, and some fan's, absolute refusal to move on from the past.

DL took what was a mostly joke of a franchise run by a former famous player and dragged it kicking and screaming to it's most successful seasons ever... and right after he was fired, the famous former player in the front office hired a famous former player, had his number retired, and here we are.

Kopitar is still the team's 1C, Doughty is playing the most minutes of any D-man in the league. Some still get butthurt because Quick traded even after he sucked his last two seasons here. People were receptive to bringing back Toffoli at the deadline. People got excited that Trevor Lewis was brought back, and he has spent time on the top line this year, despite being a carreer 3rd/4th line guy. There's one person (sorry I'm totally spacing on your name) that still wants Clifford brought back unironically for the NHL roster.

I'm not trying to take shots at people, we like what and who we like. Just pointing out that us as fans can fall victim to the same traps that this organization does.

I love Justin Williams but I don't want him running this team. I respect Jarrett Stoll's time here, but unless I want some cocaine I'd rather not see his face outside the context of what random celebrity he's dating now.
I appreciate Sean O'Donnell and what he did for Doughty as a rookie, but he can go.

I'll be honest, even if this team fires Blake this off-season if Luc and BargainBin are still here, the team will continue to struggle. It's going to take a full blown gutting of the entire organization for things to get better. The same way it took DL coming in and just cleaning house. If that doesn't happen, welcome back to the dark ages everybody.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
This is all on Quick. This one doesn’t fall on the organization. Quick sucked and if he wanted to stay in the league, he needed to change his style and that’s what he did. He wasn’t that great with Vegas either. He relaxed his playing style a bit and got behind a good defense like the Rangers and isn’t their starting goalie.

It is largely on Quick, yes. Now that Quick has a new goaltending coach in NY, he looks rejuvenated. NYR had already extended him for another year.

Bill Ranford helped make Jonathan Quick into a HOF goaltender, and it's been said it is easier to climb to the top of the mountain than it is to remain up on top of the mountain. He's also helped out and improved a few other goaltenders over the years, that's what coaches are supposed to do.

Bill Ranford hasn't had a #1 hit single in quite a while.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It is largely on Quick, yes. Now that Quick has a new goaltending coach in NY, he looks rejuvenated. NYR had already extended him for another year.

Bill Ranford helped make Jonathan Quick into a HOF goaltender, and it's been said it is easier to climb to the top of the mountain than it is to remain up on top of the mountain. He's also helped out and improved a few other goaltenders over the years, that's what coaches are supposed to do.

Bill Ranford hasn't had a #1 hit single in quite a while.
Goalie development really took a downturn after Dusty Imoo left the org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad