Around The League Part 10: Sleep with one eye open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Lindholm appears to be much better than even I, one of his fanboys, thought he would be. It doesn’t matter now but I’ll never understand some of our fans who had no qualms at all about trading him. Maybe a trade finally lit a fire under him. All I can say is I hope to god Ferland continues producing and re-signs.

He was a high draft pick for a reason. I wish he could have produced like this for us, but it's quite possible that he never would have. Sometimes, as you said, it takes a change of scenery to unlock a player's full potential.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I hope we're trying to get Kadri.
We're kicking the tires on Nylander, full stop. If we're scouting them, it's to scout complimentary pieces to a Nylander-Pesce trade. We're not going to get a Leafs offensive star that's not engaged in a big contract dispute. Especially when one of their big stars is currently embroiled in a big contract dispute.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Interesting article on the Athletic about how life is difficult for the guys who are healthy scratches every night, and it looks inside the Flames locker room. It seems really, really notable to me just how alienated those guys are from the team, and how they really feel like they aren't valued, and how players often don't find out that they're being scratched until they read the lineup on the board- it's all played as "hey, this is life in the NHL", but it really reads to me like why Bill Peters became so hated by the players and why Rod is so loved. We hear a lot about how Brind'Amour makes every guy feel important and included no matter what their role is on the team. Reading this, I can't but help seeing those as massive shots and very intentional shots at Peters. Do you ever think that a player playing under Brind'Amour would be excluded from team events, asked to stay away from the 'real' players, or would learn that he was being scratched by walking into the locker room and seeing the board? I flat out can't imagine it.

Regardless, it's fascinating insight.

For someone like Dalton Prout, a healthy scratch in all but one contest so far this season, prolonged morning skates become a built-in part of his routine.
Just like off-ice workouts during first periods.
Just like staying away from the regulars on game day.

Even if today’s healthy scratches are driven by businesslike outlooks, they admit to harbouring moments of resentment.
Like when they spy teammates gliding off the ice at 11 a.m. – or sidling over to the players’ box for chuckles and chatter over bottles of Gatorade – all the while knowing the roughest part of their morning is about to take place.
“That’s when it sets in,” Prout said. “A lot of times when you’ve been scratched for five, 10, 15, 20 games and you’re on the road, you just haven’t been a part of it. You haven’t seen your teammates. You don’t eat with your teammates – your meals are at different times. You’re on the ice with them (for most of practice, but later) when you get undressed, you’re getting undressed with two guys. You’re not getting undressed with the team. It’s not fun, but it’s part of the job.”
“Sometimes you’re on the road and you have nothing but two guys and a backup goalie on the ice. You look up at the empty stands and you’ve got 40 minutes of work to put in … after you landed at 2 (a.m.) the night before. You’ve just got to put your head down and get through it.”

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
elias lindholm is what it looks like when a career sub 10% shooting percentage player shoots 27% over his first twelve games with a new club. peters obviously had a lot of sway regarding the decision to pull the trigger on this move and lindholm is getting over 20 minutes a game. more than taylor hall, alex ovechkin, and sidney crosby. more than he played at his career high in carolina by a full two minutes.

8 goals in 12 games for lindholm who has played 4.5-5 nhl seasons and never hit 20? let's see november before we make too much of any of the measurable stats of anyone involved in the trade.

watching skinner in buffalo is a little more frustrating from early returns. that could easily continue considering the contract situation.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Interesting article on the Athletic about how life is difficult for the guys who are healthy scratches every night, and it looks inside the Flames locker room. It seems really, really notable to me just how alienated those guys are from the team, and how they really feel like they aren't valued, and how players often don't find out that they're being scratched until they read the lineup on the board- it's all played as "hey, this is life in the NHL", but it really reads to me like why Bill Peters became so hated by the players and why Rod is so loved. We hear a lot about how Brind'Amour makes every guy feel important and included no matter what their role is on the team. Reading this, I can't but help seeing those as massive shots and very intentional shots at Peters. Do you ever think that a player playing under Brind'Amour would be excluded from team events, asked to stay away from the 'real' players, or would learn that he was being scratched by walking into the locker room and seeing the board? I flat out can't imagine it.

Regardless, it's fascinating insight.

Nothing eats away respect for the boss like crap with lists on the board.

Some nine years back I was laid off from my legit job for a couple of months, and slaved myself as a rental worker in a small factory. I myself landed on a special job that kept me employed for the duration, but for some other guys it was here or there if they would have work at all in the next week.

The chieftain would as last thing when he left for home Thursday night put the shift line-up for the next week to the message board and then silently slip out. Guys didn't like it at all to have to find out from the lack of their name on the list that they didn't need to bother come next week.

It's been almost a decade, and here I am still telling to international audience what a spineless dick the guy was.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
What good does that do to exclude healthy scratches from practice? How will they know the system/their teammates if someone gets hurt and they draw in? I mean maybe that stuff is normal in the NHL but it doesn't seem sensible to me. Like beyond peters being a prick (which seems more fact than speculation at this point) intentionally dividing your players seems like it would give your team a competitive disadvantage

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I keep wondering when the price for him will get down to something I'd be willing to pay given his performance. I don't think it is there just yet, but I think it is getting there pretty fast.

Unfortunately, EDM has been winning lately so the pressure for Chia to make a Chia-like move isn't there.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Lindholm appears to be much better than even I, one of his fanboys, thought he would be. It doesn’t matter now but I’ll never understand some of our fans who had no qualms at all about trading him. Maybe a trade finally lit a fire under him. All I can say is I hope to god Ferland continues producing and re-signs.

He seems like someone who just never wanted to be here.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We're kicking the tires on Nylander, full stop. If we're scouting them, it's to scout complimentary pieces to a Nylander-Pesce trade. We're not going to get a Leafs offensive star that's not engaged in a big contract dispute. Especially when one of their big stars is currently embroiled in a big contract dispute.

I keep wondering when the price for him will get down to something I'd be willing to pay given his performance. I don't think it is there just yet, but I think it is getting there pretty fast.

I love how certain we can be about exactly and precisely what's being discussed in private between people we don't know.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I love how certain we can be about exactly and precisely what's being discussed in private between people we don't know.
What in my statement suggests to you that I think I know anything about anyone in my post? I was merely speculating on what the Oilers price for “cutting bait” might be and where my risk tolerance level is in relation to that price.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
What in my statement suggests to you that I think I know anything about anyone in my post? I was merely speculating on what the Oilers price for “cutting bait” might be and where my risk tolerance level is in relation to that price.

You weren't speculating.

This comment means that a) you know what the price for Puljujarvi was before, b) you know what it is now, and c) you're pretty sure you know what it will be in the future. Personally, I don't know what conversations Waddell may or may not have had with Chiarelli and Dubas, but I'm glad you guys know.

Regardless, I don't wanna fight. I was mostly just annoyed at how certain cptjeff was about what's being discussed between Waddell and Dubas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad