Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Watching Vegas right now is like watching the Wild. Too many turnovers, too many passes and missed opportunities. Trying to set up the perfect play......now is the time to go for the ugly goal, boys! Cripes!!!

An Avs/Stars match up is a #$@!ing nightmare! Come on, asteroid!!!!!

stars-voodoo-dallas-stars.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetnut

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Actually found myself rooting for Dallas in that series. Weird.

Dallas has been my team from the West since early in the season. The thought of COL doesn't bother me either, after they signed Parise.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
New Marek/Friedman podcast dropped overnight, lots of interesting tidbits about Toronto.

Friedman fully expects Toronto to drop Keefe and make changes to the Big Four forwards, threw out that some people are talking about the option of buying out Tavares but doubted it would happen due to how the cap hit would result. Marek and Friedman both talked about Tavares leaving via UFA after next season being a very real possibility.

Friedman does fully expect the Leafs and Marner, separately and together, to think about if he is a fit there long term. He did go on to say that if Marner is leaving, there is a good chance the Leafs will accept that they "lose the trade" and take back a lesser player. He specifically said a player like Seth Jones would be good for both sides, because Bedard needs talent on his wings and Jones is sick of losing. Yes, it was phrased like that.

If, and it's obviously a big if, the Leafs traded away Marner and all they got back is overpaid and bad Seth Jones, Treliving deserves to be carried out of that HQ building and thrown in a dumpster. Leafs fans deserve better than that.

Personally - and this is me, not anything Marek/Friedman said - if I was Treliving I'd try to do a 1for1 with Ottawa, Marner for Tkachuk. Win for all sides.

Ottawa needs game breaking talent and more offense to push them to the next level and Marner with Stützle would be fantastic. Marner, meanwhile, stays in Ontario relatively close to family but has less spotlight on him and would likely thrive. Tkachuk obviously has helped them a lot, but the combo of him and Stützle is obviously not the right mix and they need to do something different to take that next step.

On the other side, Toronto decentralizes their salary cap allocation and adds a forward with a completely different style of play that they are missing, giving them a new type of weapon. Tkachuk, on the other hand, moves to a market with a bigger spotlight like what he wants and with guys like Matthews and Nylander around, he doesn't have to carry the load like he does in Ottawa. Him being third fiddle (or fourth, depending on Tavares I guess), will allow him to thrive.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
New Marek/Friedman podcast dropped overnight, lots of interesting tidbits about Toronto.

Friedman fully expects Toronto to drop Keefe and make changes to the Big Four forwards, threw out that some people are talking about the option of buying out Tavares but doubted it would happen due to how the cap hit would result. Marek and Friedman both talked about Tavares leaving via UFA after next season being a very real possibility.

Friedman does fully expect the Leafs and Marner, separately and together, to think about if he is a fit there long term. He did go on to say that if Marner is leaving, there is a good chance the Leafs will accept that they "lose the trade" and take back a lesser player. He specifically said a player like Seth Jones would be good for both sides, because Bedard needs talent on his wings and Jones is sick of losing. Yes, it was phrased like that.

If, and it's obviously a big if, the Leafs traded away Marner and all they got back is overpaid and bad Seth Jones, Treliving deserves to be carried out of that HQ building and thrown in a dumpster. Leafs fans deserve better than that.

Personally - and this is me, not anything Marek/Friedman said - if I was Treliving I'd try to do a 1for1 with Ottawa, Marner for Tkachuk. Win for all sides.

Ottawa needs game breaking talent and more offense to push them to the next level and Marner with Stützle would be fantastic. Marner, meanwhile, stays in Ontario relatively close to family but has less spotlight on him and would likely thrive. Tkachuk obviously has helped them a lot, but the combo of him and Stützle is obviously not the right mix and they need to do something different to take that next step.

On the other side, Toronto decentralizes their salary cap allocation and adds a forward with a completely different style of play that they are missing, giving them a new type of weapon. Tkachuk, on the other hand, moves to a market with a bigger spotlight like what he wants and with guys like Matthews and Nylander around, he doesn't have to carry the load like he does in Ottawa. Him being third fiddle (or fourth, depending on Tavares I guess), will allow him to thrive.
You're missing something in the whole situation. You are only trading for one year of Marner. This drastically affects his value. While yes, it is possible that a deal can be worked out before the trade with the acquiring team, i highly doubt that Marner will settle for anything less than the 11M he is making, and I can't think of any teams that;

A - can do that cap wise.

B- are competitive enough that Marner will waive his NMC to go play there.

C- would be willing to sign him at 11M+ for multiple years.

Marner will not drop his NMC to play in CHI, or OTT, two perennial non playoff teams. Why should he? He can play out his contract in Toronto, then go to the highest bidder the year after.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're missing something in the whole situation. You are only trading for one year of Marner. This drastically affects his value. While yes, it is possible that a deal can be worked out before the trade with the acquiring team, i highly doubt that Marner will settle for anything less than the 11M he is making, and I can't think of any teams that;

Marner will not drop his NMC to play in CHI, or OTT, two perennial non playoff teams. Why should he? He can play out his contract in Toronto, then go to the highest bidder the year after.
The 8th year would be a reason.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

This is all a fair point, I should have factored that part in about the contract. But youre raising a good point too that Marner probably won't be able to hit everything on his desired checklist, either. Because contenders won't have the cap space and teams that can pay it won't be contenders, Chicago aside. Especially if they won the lottery and got Celebrini, they're probably ~2-3 years from contending, which gives Marner an opportunity there. I just hope for Toronto's sake it's not Seth Jones going back the other way. What a disaster that would be.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is all a fair point, I should have factored that part in about the contract. But youre raising a good point too that Marner probably won't be able to hit everything on his desired checklist, either. Because contenders won't have the cap space and teams that can pay it won't be contenders, Chicago aside. Especially if they won the lottery and got Celebrini, they're probably ~2-3 years from contending, which gives Marner an opportunity there. I just hope for Toronto's sake it's not Seth Jones going back the other way. What a disaster that would be.
Athletes won't willingly go to a team like CHI that is really bad, Bedard or no. Their careers are very short, and every year is one where they want to be in the running for a Cup. That's why we are on very thin ice with Kaprizov, and the buyouts. He may well think that BG is wasting the prime of his career, and look to go somewhere else after his contract is up.

Would we want to trade Spurgeon + Ohgren for one year of Marner(with retention if necessary)? Would the Leafs? Would Marner waive for us?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Actually found myself rooting for Dallas in that series. Weird.
Yeah me too... I've always hated Dallas but Jim Nill has built a pretty likeable team, full of guys who have had admirable careers but never won a Cup. And the Stars' drafting has been just awesome, so I credit the franchise for that.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
The only palatable teams to me left in the playoffs are Florida, Carolina and the 'hold my nose' candidate, Edmonton. The rest of the remaining teams can disintegrate for all I care. I'm a bit tired of seeing Boston in there. New York, bleh. Dallas, Colorado and Vancouver...not a chance I root for any of those teams. Unless, of course, it's to see them all go to a game 7 and lose in gut wrenching fashion to whatever team they end up playing.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Parise vs. Suter tonight.
Suter will give Parise a vicious cross check in the back tonight for 1 of 2 reasons.

A. Got to go out of his way to send a message that the past doesn’t matter. No friends on the ice….

B. And probably the most accurate reason, Parise is the only player he can catch up to…..

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter just scored on what the color gal called "a floater". I swear, it took him so long to get it off that he put the goalie to sleep.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Avs are bound to be rusty. Plus their goaltending is unpredictable. They got lucky with Hellebuyck and the Peg's defense sucking big-time in the first round.

I just hope Dallas and Colorado beat the @#$! out of each other and drag it to 7 games. Anything to weaken the surviving team....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad