Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
They'll only close the loophole when a team like the Wild, Jackets, or Sens try to take advantage of it. Vegas isn't even trying to hide their cheating ways at this point.
And they would punish the Wild retroactively.

Oh, you took advantage of this last year. Well, that’s 20 million against your cap.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm sure this conversation will go the same way it does every year, but shocker that Mark Stone magically got healthy for game 1 again.

He's right in the middle of what the google search search says is a 2-2.5 month recovery window for a lacerated spleen (Feb 18th injury).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He's right in the middle of what the google search search says is a 2-2.5 month recovery window for a lacerated spleen (Feb 18th injury).
I have to imagine returning that early is very uncomforatble. I was wondering if it would also be dangerous to his health, and the scientific research very strongly says "maybe?". They can't even decide on what a proper timeline is, and it's usually up to the discretion of the physician.

In short, it's entirely possible he is well enough to play, and has only been for the last week or so.

For the conspiracy theorists out there, it's the perfect injury to fake because there is so little consensus about it, allowing him to return whenever the playoffs begin. I personally don't subscribe to the "faked injury" thing, as I don't like to make accusations without proof.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have to imagine returning that early is very uncomforatble. I was wondering if it would also be dangerous to his health, and the scientific research very strongly says "maybe?". They can't even decide on what a proper timeline is, and it's usually up to the discretion of the physician.

In short, it's entirely possible he is well enough to play, and has only been for the last week or so.

For the conspiracy theorists out there, it's the perfect injury to fake because there is so little consensus about it, allowing him to return whenever the playoffs begin. I personally don't subscribe to the "faked injury" thing, as I don't like to make accusations without proof.

I don't know if other people out there are saying they faked the entire injury. My perspective has always been that the injury is real, and they're playing with the timeline. The idea being that Stone really did get injured, he really did need to go on IR, but he realistically could have come back 2 weeks before the end of the regular season, but they kept him out because they had no cap space for him. It's pretty easy to say he's just not ready yet or he needs a stint to practice to get back up to speed or whatever.

At this point, I don't know how you can look at this situation and not think something like that is going on. It's now happened several times in the last decade that guys have missed significant stretches of the season, namely after the trade deadline, and then "magically" been ready for game one of the playoffs.

It's not against the rules and the NHL doesn't seem to have an issue with it, so I guess it won't change. But I wish it was a bigger issue to them, because it feels gross. Especially with some of the stuff they've come down on in the past (like the 13 year contracts to lower the AAV a la Parise/Suter/Kovalchuk).

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Athletes tend to come back from injury WAY sooner than normal folks. The Stone situation still stinks to high heaven, though. The whole point of salary caps is to not allow wealthier teams to have an unfair advantage, yet in this case VGK clearly have an advantage over other teams going into the playoffs.

Reactions: Wild11MN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think it’s fine, I just don’t like these “they’re going to miss tons of time and be ready for game 1” in back to back years.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I think it’s fine, I just don’t like these “they’re going to miss tons of time and be ready for game 1” in back to back years.

Stone has been doing it for 3 straight years, it just didn't get so much attention the first time since they ended up missing the playoffs.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know if other people out there are saying they faked the entire injury. My perspective has always been that the injury is real, and they're playing with the timeline. The idea being that Stone really did get injured, he really did need to go on IR, but he realistically could have come back 2 weeks before the end of the regular season, but they kept him out because they had no cap space for him. It's pretty easy to say he's just not ready yet or he needs a stint to practice to get back up to speed or whatever.

At this point, I don't know how you can look at this situation and not think something like that is going on. It's now happened several times in the last decade that guys have missed significant stretches of the season, namely after the trade deadline, and then "magically" been ready for game one of the playoffs.

It's not against the rules and the NHL doesn't seem to have an issue with it, so I guess it won't change. But I wish it was a bigger issue to them, because it feels gross. Especially with some of the stuff they've come down on in the past (like the 13 year contracts to lower the AAV a la Parise/Suter/Kovalchuk).
I shouldn't have said "fake" but instead "fudge". Because of the ambiguity around the return-to-play timeline, it seems like a good one to fudge the timeline with.

I'm sure there is a little something going on with Vegas doing this multiple years now, but I also won't outright accuse them without proof. That's my line to cross or not cross. Others have different lines. I have no problem with that.

My concern isn't that it's gross or immoral, but that if another team like the... Devils or Wild try it, the NHL will then do something about it, and apply the punishment retroactively. They have a history of that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My concern isn't that it's gross or immoral, but that if another team like the... Devils or Wild try it, the NHL will then do something about it, and apply the punishment retroactively. They have a history of that.
Wasn't this the case this year...other than punishing them retroactively when they told Minnesota they couldn't retain salary because Spurgeon is on LTIR. But they didn't care when other teams did it?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wasn't this the case this year...other than punishing them retroactively when they told Minnesota they couldn't retain salary because Spurgeon is on LTIR. But they didn't care when other teams did it?
I'm not the right person to ask, I am not educated on how LTIR works well enough to really know the differences.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Suter can still play. Especially in the playoffs where things tighten up and he can employ some of his crafty interferences.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Bruins pulled a Wild tonight, changing goalies after a game 1 win and starter playing exceptional and lost.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It's very early in round 1, but seeing Talbot get lit up...Fiala a bit of a ghost....and Suter and company losing.....not bad. Typical.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Good for them, they need some fresh blood in the org. He must be at least as old as Flower. So nice to see a new coach lead the way for such a successful franchise.
Waiting for Lemaire to return to Wild. Any minute now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad