Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
NHL reffing has been dogshit for years. And I'm not at all shocked to see the level of horseshittery ratcheted up in the playoffs during the season where all teams were warned before the season that the league was going to handle "abuse of the officials" far more seriously than they had before. The league wants this kind of controversy. It wants their shit refs to be getting talked about because it is driving engagement with a sport who that is run by a league that doesn't know how to make its own star players more marketable than the WNBA.
NHL be like we can’t make our players the stars. Let’s make the refs the stars!

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
And then to rub it in a bruin backed into the crease and made light contact with Bob who fell backwards like he got hit by a Mack truck and they called a GI penalty. I could have seen the penalty if it came with a matching embellishment on Bob.
Nah on that one it was McAvoy being his usual punk self...He very, very slowly turned around while skating into the crease, intentionally barely bumped into Bob, and then flailed and "accidently on purpose" fell on top of Bob like he was shoved backwards. It was both GI & embellishment by him

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Nah on that one it was McAvoy being his usual punk self...He very, very slowly turned around while skating into the crease, intentionally barely bumped into Bob, and then flailed and "accidently on purpose" fell on top of Bob like he was shoved backwards. It was both GI & embellishment by him
I thought last night's GI was Geekie, and I don't recall him falling over Bob.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I thought last night's GI was Geekie, and I don't recall him falling over Bob.
Might have been a different instance, the one I was referencing was pretty early in the game (I missed most of the 3rd and part of the 2nd)

EDIT: Looks like they didn't call it GI...that's right, they called Pasta for roughing on that play instead I think in retaliation for FLA chopping McAvoy after the dirty little move. I forget you can't penalize McAvoy much like Trouba, both clean players!!

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah, it was Geekie for the GI and it was a legit call. It looked like Geekie just lost where he was on the ice and crashed into Bob.

I don't have a problem with the call per se. But as I recall it was hardly "crashing into Bob". Didn't Geekie skate backwards from just a couple feet away and bump Bob? Who then fell backwards like Geekie had a 20 foot running start? I just found it ironic that they'd make that call without a concurrent embellishment one after not overturning the challenged goal earlier. Which cost the broons a goal and a penalty.

I'm still trying to figure out how they could rationally say that Bennet's action didn't interfere with Swayman's ability to protect against the goal. Only thing I can come up with on that call is the refs couldn't admit they made a mistake by not calling it in the first place and then Toronto didn't want to somehow "show up" the refs by overruling them. Anyone with a theory that makes more sense than that?

Again, if it had to happen to someone, the Bruins are as good a victim as anyone else. But still confusing to me.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There is probably justification there to suspend both Zadorov and Soucy. With that said who freaking knows what the league will do.
There is but Soucy will be the one that gets the hammer for only a game or two imo. Very obvious situation where he's going for McDavid's chest but his chest isn't where it should be because of the Zadorov hit from behind. Normally something that's a bunch of nothing... Until it isn't in a case like this.

If anything Zads would be the one I'd suspend for a game for this.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
There is but Soucy will be the one that gets the hammer for only a game or two imo. Very obvious situation where he's going for McDavid's chest but his chest isn't where it should be because of the Zadorov hit from behind. Normally something that's a bunch of nothing... Until it isn't in a case like this.

Dave is wise. One game for Soucy.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

1 game wasn't enough....

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
intent matters for this stuff. The intent for Soucy was to cross check his chest (a pretty nothing play all things considered), he did not have time to react to the Zads shove.

As I said, if anyone should have been getting suspended it should have been Zads.

mind you I'm also the guy that thinks that Trouba should have been out a minimum 3 games for his attempted chicken wing on Necas when he has a history of predatory hits exactly like that with no repercussions from the DoPS. The Necas missed hit and the Palat (at least I think it was Palat) missed hit lay the intentions of his style bare and he absolutely should have been out for a while due to it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
intent matters for this stuff. The intent for Soucy was to cross check his chest (a pretty nothing play all things considered), he did not have time to react to the Zads shove.

As I said, if anyone should have been getting suspended it should have been Zads.

mind you I'm also the guy that thinks that Trouba should have been out a minimum 3 games for his attempted chicken wing on Necas when he has a history of predatory hits exactly like that with no repercussions from the DoPS. The Necas missed hit and the Palat (at least I think it was Palat) missed hit lay the intentions of his style bare and he absolutely should have been out for a while due to it.
Intent matters but so does recklessness. Even if your intent wasn't suspendable, it was reckless and after the play ended. I have zero problem with Soucy getting suspended- but like you, I think DOPS has missed on a number of other players who should have been suspended. Trouba especially. That flying attack should have ended his season. The intent to injure was exceedingly clear. Suspensions are valid to me both if your intent is bad or if you're reckless and the outcome is bad.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Quite frankly, the chicken wing attempt on Kuznetsov was more egregious than the one on Necas. The fact nothing has happened to him over either is ridiculous

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Intent matters but so does recklessness. Even if your intent wasn't suspendable, it was reckless and after the play ended. I have zero problem with Soucy getting suspended- but like you, I think DOPS has missed on a number of other players who should have been suspended. Trouba especially. That flying attack should have ended his season. The intent to injure was exceedingly clear. Suspensions are valid to me both if your intent is bad or if you're reckless and the outcome is bad.
yep, no qualms with that take at all, and I have no problem with DoPS telling Soucy to take a hike for a game. The whole sequence was utterly ridiculous including on McDavid's part with the initial chop to Soucy, so when you get an outcome like that someone's gotta sit. FWIW if that same thing happened (crosscheck to McDavid's face like that) without the Zads shove then I'd be calling for him to be out the rest of the series.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Soucy extended his arms with full intent to cross check high and hard, even if it’s his chest there’s a lot that can go wrong. He intended to do that at least. The result generally matters way more than intent and the result was a cross check to the face that was intentional on some level. If 97 didn’t get shoved he still might’ve gotten it in the throat. He intended to cross check someone high and hard, he should get at least what he got - it was a very poor choice with two guys taking the opportunity to go after 97.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad