Around the League 29: Which RFA blinks first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm just somewhat surprised that the Pettersson/Tkachuk/Kaprizov RFA sagas didn't end the moment that Svech's did. It may well be, however, that agents around the league knew that Carolina and Svech were going to agree on a "contender's rate", similar to what Brayden Point and Tampa agreed to (under $10M a year for a true #1 center is absolutely a contender's discount price, relatively-speaking), and they think that they can squeeze more out of an Ottawa (non-playoff) or a Minnesota (on the bubble).

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm just somewhat surprised that the Pettersson/Tkachuk/Kaprizov RFA sagas didn't end the moment that Svech's did. It may well be, however, that agents around the league knew that Carolina and Svech were going to agree on a "contender's rate", similar to what Brayden Point and Tampa agreed to (under $10M a year for a true #1 center is absolutely a contender's discount price, relatively-speaking), and they think that they can squeeze more out of an Ottawa (non-playoff) or a Minnesota (on the bubble).
I'm gonna somewhat disagree...I see a real bridge at the appropriate rate for Pettersson and Tkachuk (2 years?). I have no idea as to ACV, maybe in the mid - $6 million to low $7 million neighborhood.

In the end, I think Minnesota and Kaprizov end up with a longer term deal (6 to 8 years) in the high $7 million to low $8 million range. The talk about a 10 figure deal in the KHL is agent bullshit in my opinion. They just don't often put those kind of dollars on the table in that league.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I'm gonna somewhat disagree...I see a real bridge at the appropriate rate for Pettersson and Tkachuk (2 years?). I have no idea as to ACV, maybe in the mid - $6 million to low $7 million neighborhood.

In the end, I think Minnesota and Kaprizov end up with a longer term deal (6 to 8 years) in the high $7 million to low $8 million range. The talk about a 10 figure deal in the KHL is agent bullshit in my opinion. They just don't often put those kind of dollars on the table in that league.

I see that happening for Petey because Vancouver lacks the kind of cap space needed for a non-bridge due to Quinn Hughes. Ottawa and Minnesota, however, theoretically have enough space to go max-term with Tkachuk and Kaprizov. That's why I have been speculating on why these contracts weren't resolved the day after Svechnikov's extension. My personal guess is the we suck tax on Ottawa's part, either paid with term loss or AAV hikes, and the Parise/Suter dead cap hits with Minnesota shrinking the margin of error for fitting Kap's extension into Guerin's salary structure.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why would other RFAs sign just because Svechnikov did?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Market comp-ing.
So when Aho signed , it means we should have been surprised that all the other RFAs, including Point didn’t sign right away?

Same with Svechnikov, even though it wasn’t an offer sheet. Some RfAs are going to drag it out. Happens every year and not surprising at all.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So when Aho signed , it means we should have been surprised that all the other RFAs, including Point didn’t sign right away?

Same with Svechnikov, even though it wasn’t an offer sheet. Some RfAs are going to drag it out. Happens every year and not surprising at all.
Yep. I mean only one that's realistically in any kind of time crunch is Kaprizov. Both Vancouver and Ottawa shouldn't be expected to do a damn thing this year, Minnesota is a fringe playoff team at least and a year of Kap playing catchup by missing camp would be a disaster. Of course, if the other 2 are using him as a comparable on their deals, they're not signing before he does.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yep. I mean only one that's realistically in any kind of time crunch is Kaprizov. Both Vancouver and Ottawa shouldn't be expected to do a damn thing this year, Minnesota is a fringe playoff team at least and a year of Kap playing catchup by missing camp would be a disaster. Of course, if the other 2 are using him as a comparable on their deals, they're not signing before he does.

The thread on the main board about how good the canucks will be is pretty funny. Quite a few nicks fans expect them to be good :help:

Reactions: DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Well, considering ten figures is a billion dollars, I guess not!

Unless you're talking rubles, in which case, who knows, man

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I see that happening for Petey because Vancouver lacks the kind of cap space needed for a non-bridge due to Quinn Hughes. Ottawa and Minnesota, however, theoretically have enough space to go max-term with Tkachuk and Kaprizov. That's why I have been speculating on why these contracts weren't resolved the day after Svechnikov's extension. My personal guess is the we suck tax on Ottawa's part, either paid with term loss or AAV hikes, and the Parise/Suter dead cap hits with Minnesota shrinking the margin of error for fitting Kap's extension into Guerin's salary structure.

It's pretty well known or at least widely speculated that Tkachuk wants to play in the US, even more specifically in STL if possible. So I think that's more in play on a short term type deal than any perceived "we suck" tax.

Well, considering ten figures is a billion dollars, I guess not!

Unless you're talking rubles, in which case, who knows, man

Rubles, 8 figures, what's the diff? :sarcasm:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The thread on the main board about how good the canucks will be is pretty funny. Quite a few nicks fans expect them to be good :help:

I mean, I love Conor Garland, but I don't know if him and OEL will be quite enough for the Nucks to get over that mediocre-to-somewhat bad hump. I also think that their defensive right side of Myers/Hamonic/Poolman is...questionable. I mean, I think Hamonic is a good player in the right role, but the other two did not look all that great last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad