Around the League '23-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
A Stars win today would lock up the first NHL playoff matchup.

IF Dallas win they clinch the central as we know and Nashville can't reach 3rd place Winnipeg so if Dallas win then Colorado v Winnipeg is officially locked in as a 1st round matchup. (Home ice still to be determined).

As far as I'm aware no other matchup can be confirmed today.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I don’t blame Vegas for doing it. I blame the league for not doing anything about it. It’s so transparent and obvious what they’re doing and the league does nothing. Pathetic.
They’re Bettman’s favorites. Never forget that they skated by on the Seattle expansion too without giving up a player when they were gonna face a crunch.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
They’re Bettman’s favorites. Never forget that they skated by on the Seattle expansion too without giving up a player when they were gonna face a crunch.

That was built into the expansion plan from the very beginning, and their owner didn't get a cut of the expansion fee (which was 8 figures, not a small amount).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Difference is Stars can and likely will activate Dadonov before the playoffs start . Meaning he fits under the Cap. Stone would absolutely not fit
And that's only because they've been lucky with injuries and have used fake transactions to squeeze the cap. It's the same sort of cap manipulation. The Stars have used LTIR year after year. Most every team does.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This current Vegas team is without Stephenson, Pietrangelo, Stone, Carrier, etc. All guys will be back healthy game 1 of the playoffs.

Not a team we want to face but looks like we are the unlucky ones. If they're fully healthy the whole year then honestly Vegas probably finishes near the top of the West

So by finishing 1st, we will be playing probably the best team in the West. Congrats Stars!

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And that's only because they've been lucky with injuries and have used fake transactions to squeeze the cap. It's the same sort of cap manipulation. The Stars have used LTIR year after year. Most every team does.
I don't have a problem with what Vegas is doing, but there is a significant difference between.
Putting a 9.5m player on LTIR, using almost all of that LTIR to add players at the deadline, then activating the 9.5m player 2 days after the regular season ends. and doing 100 paper transactions to limit the amount of LTIR you're using

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Same idea, bit of a different level to it when you’re talking about Stone, Eichel, Hertl, etc compared to Dadonov. I wish the league had the guts to step in and moreso wish teams in the league said “f*** you, were doing this too”

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Makes me question why LTIR cap relief exists in the first place

Your best players get hurt? Tough shit, bad luck, try again later

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
There is a certain bit of irony to us having to play Vegas the year Nill was the only one to speak up about LTIR at the GM Meetings.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You guys are looking at this the wrong way.

You're going to love LTIR in the coming seasons when Seguin frees up $10 million before the trade deadline and then is done with rehab about four hours after game 82 ends.

Reactions: Zrhutch

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
You guys are looking at this the wrong way.

You're going to love LTIR in the coming seasons when Seguin frees up $10 million before the trade deadline and then is done with rehab about four hours after game 82 ends.
Would’ve been sick to have played that card this year…

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Would’ve been sick to have played that card this year…
Player buy in is a big factor. Most players care way too much about their numbers to take off half a season. They want every goal and assists they can accumulate.

Stone seems willing to take off half a season, but he's also a guy whose body is breaking down.

Reactions: Dallasman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Player buy in is a big factor. Most players care way too much about their numbers to take off half a season. They want every goal and assists they can accumulate.

Stone seems willing to take off half a season, but he's also a guy whose body is breaking down.

Yeah in the last couple of year we've seen that Seguin ( who would've been the Stars option here ) is the type of player that will push through pretty much any injury to play . No way he'd have agreed

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Makes me question why LTIR cap relief exists in the first place

Your best players get hurt? Tough shit, bad luck, try again later
It's meant so that teams can dress a full roster.
Imagine getting hit with an injury bug and being only able to dress 10players because otherwise you're not cap compliant.
They probably should amend it that you get 2*league minimum cap replacement instead of full player salary.
as in regardless if a 10m player goes on LTIR, you get 2m in LTIR for an internal replacement/trade replacement (per LTIR player) but it is what it is

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's meant so that teams can dress a full roster.
Imagine getting hit with an injury bug and being only able to dress 10players because otherwise you're not cap compliant.
They probably should amend it that you get 2*league minimum cap replacement instead of full player salary.
as in regardless if a 10m player goes on LTIR, you get 2m in LTIR for an internal replacement/trade replacement (per LTIR player) but it is what it is
And also, it's more designed for long term injuries like we had with Hanzal when he suffered a career ending back breakdown. The league doesn't want teams carrying dead cap hits for multiple seasons all because of injury.

Also, the NHLPA loves this system. It ultimately means more money going to players.

Reactions: LT

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And also, it's more designed for long term injuries like we had with Hanzal when he suffered a career ending back breakdown. The league doesn't want teams carrying dead cap hits for multiple seasons all because of injury.

Also, the NHLPA loves this system. It ultimately means more money going to players.
not really. most contracts aren't 100% covered by insurance and players still only get a 50% cut of revenue it just causes escrow to grow more

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Meh give me VGK now when they may not be in sync right off the bat. Round 1 is probably where they will be the most vulnerable since guys are only coming back now, and or during the series. If we don’t play them now, we probably play them in the WCF when they’re rolling and all on the same page.

I’m confident in this team can beat anyone and i’d love nothing more to knock out VGK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad