GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gerorgiev though makes saves Skinner can only dream of. The one sobering prospect seeing all the other contenders is we have the most inconsistent and average goaltending. I'm seeing gamebreakers for Rangers, for AV's Dallas, Boston. Basically everyteam left has better roster goaltending.
I don't get why people are down on Skinner, he's done nothing but perform well for the most part but to each their own. He's not Shesterkin but he's performed as well as any of the next tier guys this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hate Dallas going back to the old two tier league era and grudge playoff series. Historic boring style of play. Oilers have to beat very good teams to go anywhere whether Avalanche or Dallas and can't look past the Canucks. I'd rather see the elite top end skill face-off in the Conference Final and Colorado is still beatable unlike their wagon Cup team. Different strokes.

NHL playoff scheduling is a gong show.
Holy crap, most of that Dallas stuff was from another millennium. Is there a moratorium time frame on ever letting that go? All the players are long since retired.

The current foremost threat is the AV's.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't get why people are down on Skinner, he's done nothing but perform well for the most part but to each their own. He's not Shesterkin but he's performed as well as any of the next tier guys this season.
For me its because I've been watching other goalies in the playoffs be consistently spectacular. Its really sobering. Guys like Swayman, Bobo, Shesterkin, OTT, its completely other level stuff.

The disparity between the goaltending seen last night and what we see here was particularly striking. I should stop watching the OOT. But I watch becasue the games have been entertaining. This 2nd round is better than recent seasons because all the good clubs advanced. Makes for better matchups and superior play. The games last night were pretty good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're not new. Once people form such a negative opinion on a guy it's impossible for them to back peddle.

There are some I question if they rather see the Oilers win the cup or the Oilers lose so their harsh opinions on individuals will still be valid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Holy crap, most of that Dallas stuff was from another millennium. Is there a moratorium time frame on ever letting that go? All the players are long since retired.

Yup. I’m even at the point where I don’t really care with Carolina. Would rather they lose vs the Rangers but meh

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

So what. I don't like Dallas. Prefer an Avalanche win and Oilers to be the best have to beat the best regardless who waits down the road. Soft mentality to worry about avoidance. Besides which Dallas defense and goaltending is just as likely to give the Oilers problems with enough forward finishing ability upfront to grind out low scoring games. Pick your poison.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For me its because I've been watching other goalies in the playoffs be consistently spectacular. Its really sobering. Guys like Swayman, Bobo, Shesterkin, OTT, its completely other level stuff.

The disparity between the goaltending seen last night and what we see here was particularly striking. I should stop watching the OOT. But I watch becasue the games have been entertaining. This 2nd round is better than recent seasons because all the good clubs advanced. Makes for better matchups and superior play. The games last night were pretty good.
The games last night were great but Skinner has been spectacular also. The Kings ran the Oilers over in Game 4 in the first 50 minutes in particular and Skinner outright stole that game. I thought he was good in Game 3 as well and just downright unlucky in Games 1 and 5.

Of course when you watch Shesterkin in particular, he will pale in comparison but Skinner has been just as good as those other guys. Even with all the good goaltending, those guys still gave up 3-4 goals. It's a goal scoring league now so if you're an offensive team like the Oilers, you just need merely adequate goaltending and Skinner has provided that at minimum.

I do think Vancouver will provide a stiffer test than L.A., they forecheck harder and are more aggressive at creating offensive chances, Nashville series notwithstanding, so they will test Skinner.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup. I’m even at the point where I don’t really care with Carolina. Would rather they lose vs the Rangers but meh
Cheering for the Rangers if only due to loving the style of play. Its some fun hockey to watch and few things are better than Oilers vs Rangers games. Those two teams would be a classic SC final. A guy can hope. Oilers and Rangers and AV probably play the most appealing hockey in the league. Teams that are worth watching. Dallas are half the time. Haven't seen enough of Florida to comment. I'm cheering Bruins in that one because they took out the leafs. They have my temporary allegiance. heh

I just don't get the thrill with soft players like Aho. They just disappear in playoffs and never a surprise. Canes always hit a wall in playoffs. Even in a game where they felt they had to win they ended up losing. If Rangers get either game in Carolina its over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So what. I don't like Dallas. Prefer an Avalanche win and Oilers to be the best have to beat the best regardless who waits down the road. Soft mentality to worry about avoidance. Besides which Dallas defense and goaltending is just as likely to give the Oilers problems with enough forward finishing ability upfront to grind out low scoring games. Pick your poison.
You were worried about facing Dallas based on something that occurred over 20yrs ago. heh

Oilers are in kind of a hard place. All the other clubs will have been battle tested. Seeing better opponents. So that if we faced AV's in round 3 its a shock, a total shock after facing Kings, Nucks. Whole other level.

But if Dallas somehow prevails they will have beaten both of he most recent SC champs one round after another. Myself I feel sorry for Dallas finishing first and then getting a harder road than any other team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The games last night were great but Skinner has been spectacular also. The Kings ran the Oilers over in Game 4 in the first 50 minutes in particular and Skinner outright stole that game. I thought he was good in Game 3 as well and just downright unlucky in Games 1 and 5.

Of course when you watch Shesterkin in particular, he will pale in comparison but Skinner has been just as good as those other guys. Even with all the good goaltending, those guys still gave up 3-4 goals. It's a goal scoring league now so if you're an offensive team like the Oilers, you just need merely adequate goaltending and Skinner has provided that at minimum.

I do think Vancouver will provide a stiffer test than L.A., they forecheck harder and are more aggressive at creating offensive chances, Nashville series notwithstanding, so they will test Skinner.
The Kings were impotent offensively under Hiller. Hopeless coach, worse than McLellan. Kings didn't give up on 1-3-1 which for majority of games was generating nothing and even when they were getting chances the only Kings player on a heater was Kempe. The rest were stone cold coming into playoffs. The Kings PP could play 20 games and fail to score.

WE find out from this point on how far we can go with Skinner. LA wasn't even a test.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You were worried about facing Dallas based on something that occurred over 20yrs ago. heh

Oilers are in kind of a hard place. All the other clubs will have been battle tested. Seeing better opponents. So that if we faced AV's in round 3 its a shock, a total shock after facing Kings, Nucks. Whole other level.

But if Dallas somehow prevails they will have beaten both of he most recent SC champs one round after another. Myself I feel sorry for Dallas finishing first and then getting a harder road than any other team.
It was an era of two tier system. Not really a fair battle and regular playoff encounters builds scar tissue. Dallas is just one of the franchises that I've never liked, a tier below despising Calgary and now Vegas (& adding Florida). Oil are on financial footing and talent footing now with anyone in the league. Oil are sufficiently battle tested over the past years of playoff experience, adversity, and competition. Added older proven veterans to help weather the emotional ride of playoffs. It's go time for this group. Every playoff series is a hard place with no guaranteed path.

I have zero sympathy for Dallas. They faced a tough first round opponent and came out on top. Just how it rolls. Glad they beat the cap cheaters but rather see Colorado take them out. Hella playoff match up.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was an era of two tier system. Not really a fair battle and regular playoff encounters builds scar tissue. Dallas is just one of the franchises that I've never liked, a tier below despising Calgary and now Vegas (& adding Florida). Oil are on financial footing and talent footing now with anyone in the league. Oil are sufficiently battle tested over the past years of playoff experience, adversity, and competition. Added older proven veterans to help weather the emotional ride of playoffs. It's go time for this group. Every playoff series is a hard place with no guaranteed path.

I have zero sympathy for Dallas. They faced a tough first round opponent and came out on top. Just how it rolls. Glad they beat the cap cheaters but rather see Colorado take them out. Hella playoff match up.
meh. As an Albertan I'll always have more in common with Texans, or Dallas than with Mile High coloradans or whatever they call those folks.

In anycase Dallas and Colorado were the exact same have bookends. No difference. Both allstar precap clubs that benefitted the same way.

I despise Colorado more because they recently beat us and are a greater threat to do that again.

Different strokes. Thanks for expanding on your take.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
meh. As an Albertan I'll always have more in common with Texans, or Dallas than with Mile High coloradans or whatever they call those folks.

In anycase Dallas and Colorado were the exact same have bookends. No difference. Both allstar precap clubs that benefitted the same way.

I despise Colorado more because they recently beat us and are a greater threat to do that again.

Different strokes. Thanks for expanding on your take.
Personally I don't self identify with any American group but besides which Denver has strong business ties and affinity also with Alberta. That's offtrack anyway for a hockey chat. Dallas and Colorado historically played different styles. I liked Sakic and others on their old school team and played some baseball with one of their players so enjoyed watching their style of play.

Dallas and Colorado are both existential threats to the Oilers but through different strengths. Dallas seemed a more seamless transition to playoff style with their deep blue line and a goaltender who in small sample has shown elite puck stopping. Colorado more mirror the Oilers with super elite high end talent and goaltending that can be vulnerable. I respect both elite opponents. The Oil have to go through the best to be the best. But first have to take care of the Canuckles. Gimme putts are over for all teams.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Cheering for the Rangers if only due to loving the style of play. Its some fun hockey to watch and few things are better than Oilers vs Rangers games. Those two teams would be a classic SC final. A guy can hope. Oilers and Rangers and AV probably play the most appealing hockey in the league. Teams that are worth watching. Dallas are half the time. Haven't seen enough of Florida to comment. I'm cheering Bruins in that one because they took out the leafs. They have my temporary allegiance. heh

I just don't get the thrill with soft players like Aho. They just disappear in playoffs and never a surprise. Canes always hit a wall in playoffs. Even in a game where they felt they had to win they ended up losing. If Rangers get either game in Carolina its over.

Not a big fan of the Rangers in the "hockey politics" sense (very much a US Leafs to me, with more success, ofc), but I do like the style of game they play, whereas the Canes are boring as f*** and quite honestly I don't think they have the elite talent to go all the way. Maybe if stars align like the Blues (though I think they won on goaltending and grit with some decent star power in Piet, ROR and Tarasenko).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can't stand either of them, probably due to the playoff battles with them (we seemed to play Dallas every time we got in, back in the day), and it was always a case of them being big monied while we scrimped and scraped, except for the last series with the Avs. I wish they both could lose, but at least if we make it through, a pretty damned good team will have been eliminated on the other side.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Boston misses 2 wide open nets and hits a post. Could very well be 4-0 Boston after one. Florida better figure things out fast.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The guy played 30mins. Didn't have anything left in the legs. An opponent that plays half the minutes beat him on a foot race.

As far as Dallas they had 3 periods to get one more goal that would have provided them the win. But this is Dallas, they go hot and cold just like that and lost despite good goaltending. Stars are tired but that was a pretty soggy performance periods 2 and 3.

Because beating the defending SC champs is nothing at all hey Keith? The jets were horrible. AV's had an easy time of it scoring 5.5goals/game despite Hellebuck. Only you could string it this way.
The Stars were perilously close to disaster in that series. For a team that was hyped up as contenders they didn’t look like it to me. The Stars didn’t finish the Avs and look what happened. The Avs are scary. The Stars are not.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Utah will wear jerseys simply saying "Utah" on them for their first season according to the survey Smith just posted.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
McAvoy with an ugly game tonight. Looks like this will be a series

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Swayman getting yanked. Wonder if Ullmark starts Game 2 now.

Utah will wear jerseys simply saying "Utah" on them for their first season according to the survey Smith just posted.

Utah HC wouldn't be a terrible name compared to the other suggestions I've seen.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Turned SN on and can't see the score of course. Bunch of losers. They don't even have it on the screen

11 more years!

Reactions: bellagiobob

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Turned SN on and can't see the score of course. Bunch of losers. They don't even have it on the screen

11 more years!
Never get tired of repeating this...

The guy that saddled us with this horseshit SN deal for a decade (then ruined the European Golf Tour) is now running MLSE. Can't wait to see him further ruin the Leafs!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What? We don’t get SN for 11 more years do we?
Please say it isn’t so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad