GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Didn't this come out shortly after Francis fired Hakstol? Insinuating Francis will pay Brind'Amour top dollar to join the Kraken

It's gonna be the Leafs too haha.

When they inevitably fire Keefe I imagine they would have a blank cheque to present to Brind'Amour.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Pettersson "Better than Draisaitl they said" has a measley 5 goals in 25GP since signing his near 100M contract. Nucks mortgaging the entire future on this smurf. Fwiw Connor Brown has 4 goals in that time frame and isn't even playing. lol Kostin, if anybody is curious has scored same 5 NHL goals than Petey since he signed the contract and isn't even in playoffs. With Kostin its 5 goals in 19 games.

I'm deepdiving on some of this. Petey also dropped in scoring race this season from right up at top to around 2oth place.

The Great Petterson isn't even top 20 scoring in NHL cumulatively since being in league. He's 26 in pts. Not even in conversation as a top producer.

How is this soft on pucks guy worth 11.6M? I know several Million doesn't buy much of a house in Vancouver but what a ridiculous contract.

Petey is dimes away from the 3rd highest paid player in the league. How does any of this make sense? Boston recently signed Pastrnak who is twice the player for less money.

What I find hilarious in any conversation about Pettersson is people calling him small, Smurf, etc. He's 6'2, but possibly the absolute very softest 6'2 player that has ever stepped onto the ice in the NHL. I remember spitting out my coffee about half way through his rookie year when I pulled up his stat page and saw his height. Had to look on another site to make sure it wasn't an error.

Had to laugh at the start of the year when he threw a few reverse shoulder checks that prompted the Nuck clown car to wet themselves and say "look he's tough now!" Reminds me of when Flame fans took the time to clip together a reel of Gaudreau lifting guy's sticks to prove how amazing he was defensively.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think this is illusion. Albeit its NHL and media crafted. The only legit stars Vancouver has are JT Miller and Quinn Hughes. Who else there is really a star? The contract of Pettersson is obscene. He doesn't drive plays at the highest level of play. He does very well when opponent focus isn't up to par in regular season. Petey doesn't have the ability to fight through checking. Players like Nyqvist for Nashville and Petey for Nucks are non entities in playoffs.

The only other one you could consider star is Boeser who is an inconsistent and fairly one dimensional player. A scorer who feasts on open looks at net if you give it to him. Soon as opponents would bring Playoff level intensity and marking Canucks were done.

The Pettersson contract is the lol contract in the league imo. Just crazy to hand him that much money. He's not even a strong on puck player. He's not a player that can even dictate his game in playoffs. He's a lightweight constantly getting bounced off pucks and easily.

The highest paid Elias Pettersson has the same 2 soggy assists as Connor Garland, lol, and is -3. He hasn't even scored. In the series you wouldn't even notice Pettersson on the ice.

Petterson has been a dud these playoffs.

His trajectory kinda reminds of RNH in some ways. I thought Petterson looked really good and special as a rookie and then he has just sort of plateaued and never really has taken any significant steps. Good player but doesn’t stand out in crunch time or playoff time.

Least Nuge isn’t making 12m or w/e though.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What I find hilarious in any conversation about Pettersson is people calling him small, Smurf, etc. He's 6'2, but possibly the absolute very softest 6'2 player that has ever stepped onto the ice in the NHL. I remember spitting out my coffee about half way through his rookie year when I pulled up his stat page and saw his height. Had to look on another site to make sure it wasn't an error.

Had to laugh at the start of the year when he threw a few reverse shoulder checks that prompted the Nuck clown car to wet themselves and say "look he's tough now!" Reminds me of when Flame fans took the time to clip together a reel of Gaudreau lifting guy's sticks to prove how amazing he was defensively.
Huberdeau at 6'1 200lbs would give him a good run for that title

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

His trajectory kinda reminds of RNH in some ways. I thought Petterson looked really good and special as a rookie and then he has just sort of plateaued and never really taken any significant steps. Good player but doesn’t stand out in crunch time or playoff time.

Its interesting that you used RNH as comparable because its my thought as well except RNH is stronger,, could beat the shit out of Pettersson, and we're paying him not even half as much.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Petterson is being paid 11.6Mx8yrs. The guy has 2 assists in the playoffs, zero goals, and is -3 and getting easily pushed off pucks. You don't even notice him in playoff games. Which was entirely predictable.

I can't stop laughing at this. This is a guy making Connor McDavid money?
Some think he is better than McDavid…lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks for this. I forgot he was over 6ft because he plays smaller than this. Poor center of gravity as well probably due to the height and lack of weight. Just not strong at all. Would make a great potential Tennis player. ;)

I'm jk. he's a decent enough player but doesn't have the strength or balls for playoff hockey and really thats what its all about. Just not worth the money. I wouldn't have guys like this on my club because they just disappear in playoffs. Predictably.

meanwhile teams like the AV's pay attention to such playoff metrics and pay a guy like Lehkonen more than he's maybe worth in regular season but a player that definitely elevates in playoffs and always has.

Lehkonen is that somewhat rare quantity of player that does much better in playoffs. Goes from around .460 production in regular season to around .620 in playoffs. Really amazing, except if you follow and watch the player you know he always becomes one of your better players in playoffs. Pettersson makes almost 3X as much as Lehkonen who is around 3X better in playoffs. lol

Avalanche have been well rewarded adding the versatile Lehkonen who can play any role, any line and even scores in playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

His trajectory kinda reminds of RNH in some ways. I thought Petterson looked really good and special as a rookie and then he has just sort of plateaued and never really taken any significant steps. Good player but doesn’t stand out in crunch time or playoff time.

He has good hands and an awesome shot, both writer and one timer. Not much else though. He doesn't blow you away with speed, doesn't check (obviously), has a hard time getting to the middle of the ice, and is completely allergic to getting his hands dirty in front of the net.

He's always going to be a streaky scorer because sometimes the puck will find him in scoring areas where he excels and sometimes it won't. He doesn't really have much of a say in how often he's getting these looks because he's not the guy creating them.

Some also think it's better to spend money on crack than food and shelter.

Fitting analogy when talking about Vancouver.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

1 game???

fxzR.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Put that tweet on the dressing room for Marchand to see. He'll show Toronto what getting into someone's head really is

One day, maybe the Leafs and their dumb media will realize that the addiction the media has to hyping up the Leafs and whipping up their moronic fanbase are problems that impact them on the ice.

Besides the obvious bulletin board material that Leaf media tend to mass produce, I'm convinced that the Tavares singing and the Matthews extension don't happen if you literally picked up that organization and dropped them in any other market in the league. The hype around Tavares effectively forced Dubas to move on him, and the insistence that Matthews is actually better than McDavid drove up his price on extension.

Those idiots just keep launching their finger in the electrical socket and there isn't much they can do about it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One day, maybe the Leafs and their dumb media will realize that the addiction the media has to hyping up the Leafs and whipping up their moronic fanbase are problems that impact them on the ice.

Besides the obvious bulletin board material that Leaf media tend to mass produce, I'm convinced that the Tavares singing and the Matthews extension don't happen if you literally picked up that organization and dropped them in any other market in the league. The hype around Tavares effectively forced Dubas to move on him, and the insistence that Matthews is actually better than McDavid drove up his price on extension.

Those idiots just keep launching their finger in the electrical socket and there isn't much they can do about it.
Somebody from Sportsnet had an article and clearly stated one of the issues going on in Toronto is the constant media pressure.

Yet the media never learns and win or loss they just get stupid.

Reactions: Satire and Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He has good hands and an awesome shot, both writer and one timer. Not much else though. He doesn't blow you away with speed, doesn't check (obviously), has a hard time getting to the middle of the ice, and is completely allergic to getting his hands dirty in front of the net.

He's always going to be a streaky scorer because sometimes the puck will find him in scoring areas where he excels and sometimes it won't. He doesn't really have much of a say in how often he's getting these looks because he's not the guy creating them.

Fitting analogy when talking about Vancouver.

Yeah different players. Petterson is a better shooter obviously. Nuge is more of a player maker and probably more versatile. But similar trajectory. Both guys looked like studs as rookies and then never really took another step.

Thanks for this. I forgot he was over 6ft because he plays smaller than this. Poor center of gravity as well probably due to the height and lack of weight. Just not strong at all. Would make a great potential Tennis player. ;)

I'm jk. he's a decent enough player but doesn't have the strength or balls for playoff hockey and really thats what its all about. Just not worth the money. I wouldn't have guys like this on my club because they just disappear in playoffs. Predictably.

meanwhile teams like the AV's pay attention to such playoff metrics and pay a guy like Lehkonen more than he's maybe worth in regular season but a player that definitely elevates in playoffs and always has.

Lehkonen is that somewhat rare quantity of player that does much better in playoffs. Goes from around .460 production in regular season to around .620 in playoffs. Really amazing, except if you follow and watch the player you know he always becomes one of your better players in playoffs. Pettersson makes almost 3X as much as Lehkonen who is around 3X better in playoffs. lol

Avalanche have been well rewarded adding the versatile Lehkonen who can play any role, any line and even scores in playoffs.

I had a similar spit my coffee out experience with Markstrom a few years ago. I remember looking at his stat page and seeing he was 6foot6”. Smallest 6 foot 6 goalie I’d had ever seen watching Oilers shoot beach balls past him.

Derp. Meant to respond to 1984 post about Petterson playing like a smurf.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Well, neither of them are as good as the tremendous PL Dubuois, but really, who is?;):laugh:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Hopefully Dallas finds the cure here for acute splenitis.

That was bullshit again from the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad