GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The NTL is another huge Bettman problem that needs to be erased. They can f***ing go wherever they are traded to.

Unfortunately I don't think this is one that ever goes anywhere. The NHLPA would obviously have an issue with it and there are enough owners of influence that directly benefit from it that there wouldn't be support on the NHL's side to put up a fight.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly, like you I can't remember ever leaving a game early, though in many instances I don't blame people. I've said this before but I was at the great come back vs Dallas when it seemed half the crowd left. After that it was literally 17 years before I saw the Oilers win another game live despite going to 3-5 games per year typically. During that insane stretch, which included much of the DoD, there were nights when deservedly there weren't many of us left to hear the three stars.
Yeah we were both there to witness that great comeback. I went from my standing room only seats to be able to sit in premium abandoned seats the rest of third period and OT. It was kind of funny because people that left and then came back in (not many did that but they were letting people comeback with ticketstubs) were apparently too embarrassed to ask for their seats back. The only instance at a game where losers weepers seemed to apply. The people that left that game left one of the best Oilers moments ever, and an unforgettable one. The whole OT intermission the place was still bedlam. When we tied it was like the roof came off t was so loud, and remained the rest of the way until Bucky ended it to absolute bedlam.

I was lucky enough to get seats for two of the games in that Dallas series and a couple for the Colorado series. Then 98 again.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm just saying if I was in her shoes, it wouldn't be hard for that guy in the Jersey to walk past me and take a picture. We don't know that they are buddies or that she's not being targeted for likes. I hate this age of Instagram and tik tok.

We don’t know but I’ll presume she knows he’s a cheating dick and the dude in the jersey agrees. :nod:

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Call me crazy, but I think there is still some track left in the Canucks/Predators series and isn't over yet. IMO the Canucks haven't been the better team in any of their wins so far except arguably Game 1, and that's still arguable.

Game 1 - Predators better team, blew it with a combo of Saros sucking and a momentary blunder

Game 3 - Predators had complete control until McCarron decided to effectively score in his own net with one of the dumbest penalties I've ever seen. Uphill from there.

Game 4 - Total control by the Preds, momentary blow up like Game 1

Predators have the better goaltending, have had the better run of play, and are a grimy team that has been resilient all year. They could easily push this 7.
I doubt it and it will still remain as one of the most disgusting folds of a game ever and complete with hitting the post on an empty net from 40 feet away. This kind of moment can be devastating to a club. Even as a club you lose belief after a result like this and players just waiting for the next shoe to drop.

If theres fortune in it its that the Nucks continue to believe in their little house of cards illusion until the next series against the Oilers. Can't wait for the Oilers to pound them silly.

The silver lining in all this is that the Oilers get to stomp all over the Nucks fairy tale.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting fact. Mark Stone and Cody Ceci are brother in laws, they’re married to sisters.

As for Vegas and their players, families and fans they are just trolling about it but I think karma is going to slap them down. They stacked their team this year and are still looking mediocre and moving forward I’m betting that organization experiences a pretty steep decline in the coming years and they’ll end up a middling team with an empty pipeline at which point they’ll become irrelevant in Vegas. Their fans have been spoiled with a team that’s gone on deep playoff runs basically since inception and Vegas seems like the kind of town where if they aren’t winning people won’t care about it.
If theres Karma it looked like losing the two home games against Dallas and going down to Dallas who are now getting Mason Marchment and Faksa back for game 5 (likely) Marchment particularly for playoffs was a big loss for Dallas.

Its an odd team full of jackarses.

Vegas is no Arizona Coyotes though. There will be support because people appreciate they have a club and a cup already and that team probably doesn't turn to shit immediately. Vega are however on the same track the Oilers are where they better get it done now because thats an old club.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I fell asleep because of all the extremely late oiler games and Dallas won.

They did say after the two in Dallas, they may be a better road team. Looks like Thompson may not turn into hill after all.
Thompson has been spectacular in series or Vegas season might be over already. Series without Thompson would likely be 3-1 Stars already. He stole one game for sure, possibly two.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
What kind of soft loser misses an elimination game in playoffs because of a tummy ache? Jebus put a Depends diaper on and get out there. you stink anyway.
He's just way too soft for the playoffs lmao, if it wasn't a little bit of runny poop it would've been a stubbed toe or gotten a paper cut. This has to hurt his value somewhat, not the guy you want in the playoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting fact. Mark Stone and Cody Ceci are brother in laws, they’re married to sisters.

As for Vegas and their players, families and fans they are just trolling about it but I think karma is going to slap them down. They stacked their team this year and are still looking mediocre and moving forward I’m betting that organization experiences a pretty steep decline in the coming years and they’ll end up a middling team with an empty pipeline at which point they’ll become irrelevant in Vegas. Their fans have been spoiled with a team that’s gone on deep playoff runs basically since inception and Vegas seems like the kind of town where if they aren’t winning people won’t care about it.
Meh, they won their cup so I don't know how much they care. If they didn't win the way who knows if Mcrimmon is still even employed by them.

They probably will deal with some issues in the future, but there are teams such as CBJ who have been around a lot longer that haven't even made the cup finals yet.

Take your wins while you can get them

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What kind of soft loser misses an elimination game in playoffs because of a tummy ache? Jebus put a Depends diaper on and get out there. you stink anyway.
I am no Matthews fan but I think there is some other issue at play here. He looks to me like he is in pain just trying to skate. While he may have had an illness it would not surprise me to find out he had some other significant issue.

That said, I have no interest in the many excuses, justified or not, we might here about why the mighty Leafs failed again. If they lose to Boston I would bet Marner is gone, unless he uses his NMC to kill any deal, and Keefe gets fired. What I am not sure is if they will can Shanahan. It would seem that it is almost a given, but who knows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

But let’s give that same owner first dibs on an expansion team in Arizona. What could possibly go wrong.

I can't remember which talking head it was, but they talked about how a lot of the players are happy to be leaving.

Sure the players are sad to leave the City behind, but they aren't sad to be leaving a cheap owner behind. Wasn't just related to hotels either, lots of little things that made the guys wonder if they were back in the AHL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am no Matthews fan but I think there is some other issue at play here. He looks to me like he is in pain just trying to skate. While he may have had an illness it would not surprise me to find out he had some other significant issue.

That said, I have no interest in the many excuses, justified or not, we might here about why the mighty Leafs failed again. If they lose to Boston I would bet Marner is gone, unless he uses his NMC to kill any deal, and Keefe gets fired. What I am not sure is if they will can Shanahan. It would seem that it is almost a given, but who knows.
I'm playing around with it. There could be other reasons as you say. I'm taking poetic license.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Matthews is deeply disturbed that his latest purse is not the correct shade of mauve.

• Haha
Reactions: Sanchez

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm playing around with it. There could be other reasons as you say. I'm taking poetic license.
No problem.

That said I cannot remember a time in the last decade where there was so much contempt out here for the Leafs. If they lose tonight there will be ugly ugly coverage with Marner and Tavares firmly in the spotlight is my guess.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Yeah, I'm all for dunking on Leafs and their players but Matthews looked legit sick / injured last game.

But also agree, excuses are for losers, he didn't do anything in the games before and the rest of the vaunted 4 core haven't done anything either

Leafs will continue to struggle until a GM takes goaltending and real, actual upgrades to the D corps seriously. Thankfully for everyone that isn't a Leafs fan, I think Tre-dipshit is too stupid and incapable to make those meaningful changes

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's hard to imagine any situation where the Canucks don't advance tonight.

I have 0 faith in Nashville.
Thats my take but if the Preds could somehow turn this into resolve that would be something. I guess a team gets to decide whether its a bonding resilience moment or a melting moment. Some of the pundits like Friedman are talking this up as a Nucks moment. I think its false. Nucks didn't deserve that result, preds self destructed. Theres a key difference.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, I'm all for dunking on Leafs and their players but Matthews looked legit sick / injured last game.

But also agree, excuses are for losers, he didn't do anything in the games before and the rest of the vaunted 4 core haven't done anything either

Leafs will continue to struggle until a GM takes goaltending and real, actual upgrades to the D corps seriously. Thankfully for everyone that isn't a Leafs fan, I think Tre-dipshit is too stupid and incapable to make those meaningful changes

I enjoy dumping on Dubas/Treliving but I honestly think Shanahan runs the Leafs anyway.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thats my take but if the Preds could somehow turn this into resolve that would be something. I guess a team gets to decide whether its a bonding resilience moment or a melting moment. Some of the pundits like Friedman are talking this up as a Nucks moment. I think its false. Nucks didn't deserve that result, preds self destructed. Theres a key difference.

The Predators are giving me some 1998 Oiler vibes. Team plays a similar style, are large underdogs, are down 3-1 and are heavily reliant on an elite goalie that hasn't been very elite yet. If they were a group that didn't overcome low expectations and adversity the whole year then I would for sure say stick a knife in them, but with them I just get that "feel" that they'll channel that result in the right direction.

Question really just becomes can Saros allow only one goal over the next three games like Cujo did in 1998?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad