GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To follow up on an earlier post, the Nucks pretty much only produce offence by passing it around the umbrella (even 5 on 5) and launching pucks at the net looking for deflections and rebounds. I don't think the Predators could have possibly done a better job defending that style of offence.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lol about Dakota. Had to look and OF COURSE he also is in the 20%+ shooting club for the Canucks this season. Just ridiculous. Burn this fluke Canucks season down ASAP please.

It's a blessing in disguise. One of two things is going to happen with him:

1) Gets massively overpaid by the Nucks

2) Leaves

Either way the Nucks lose. He's absolutely critical to their forward group (laughably).

Reactions: Sanchez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a blessing in disguise. One of two things is going to happen with him:

1) Gets massively overpaid by the Nucks

2) Leaves

Either way the Nucks lose. He's absolutely critical to their forward group (laughably).
Nice add for Vancouver, yet another depth guy STL gave up on only to waste money on guys like Hayes and Kapanen

Edit: He is however one of those guys that scares me if I'm a Utah fan and he makes free agency. I have a bad feeling about them overpaying some guys this summer and big physical guys like him that can score sure can make GM's do stupid shit

Edit#2: What the hell happened to Laffrety? I thought he was a can't miss move that we should've traded Desharnais for? Guy looks like he's approaching HS time

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hopefully the Bs win but I'm not expecting it.

Dallas is a must win for them. They lose tonight and they're toast. Would honestly be funny... if they weren't playing Vegas.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Very deserved troll haha. Such shameful simping by HNIC after his goal, saying over and over he scored his 70th of the season.
That panel knows no shame. Bieksa at this point is just tagging along for the paycheque. He must be biting his lip to not go off on these clowns.

Reactions: oobga

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nice add for Vancouver, yet another depth guy STL gave up on only to waste money on guys like Hayes and Kapanen

Edit: He is however one of those guys that scares me if I'm a Utah fan and he makes free agency. I have a bad feeling about them overpaying some guys this summer and big physical guys like him that can score sure can make GM's do stupid shit

Edit#2: What the hell happened to Laffrety? I thought he was a can't miss move that we should've traded Desharnais for? Guy looks like he's approaching HS time
The Lafferty stuff was hilarious. This place loves jumping the gun.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Meh, I saw people talking about McDavid being at 105A now. Lots of Oiler fans too

Jokingly because of the Matthews stuff?

If they were serious I guess we missed all celebrating McDavid having 101 and 102 assist the last 2 season lol. Which would be super lame of course. I can't recall HNIC or any TV panels trying to simp on a player by combining their regular season and playoff stats.

Reactions: BlackDogg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Lafferty stuff was hilarious. This place loves jumping the gun.
I mean sure I would've liked him for what Vancouver paid, but that wasn't in the cards. Like what we ended up adding anyway without having to lose Desharnais which would've been another piece to try replace
Jokingly because of the Matthews stuff?

If they were serious I guess we missed all celebrating McDavid having 101 and 102 assist the last 2 season lol. Which would be super lame of course. I can't recall HNIC or any TV panels trying to simp on a player by combining their regular season and playoff stats.
It was before Matthews hit 70. During the gameday thread.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I mean sure I would've liked him for what Vancouver paid, but that wasn't in the cards. Like what we ended up adding anyway without having to lose Desharnais which would've been another piece to try replace

It was before Matthews hit 70. During the gameday thread.
Ya I would have been ok with adding him for a 5th. But people were actually mad that Holland didn’t trade VD for him when Lafferty was producing at a pace that was obviously not sustainable.

Now he looks like a glorified Carrick and we have a big, strong, PKing bottom pairing D for the playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ya I would have been ok with adding him for a 5th. But people were actually mad that Holland didn’t trade VD for him when Lafferty was producing at a pace that was obviously not sustainable.

Now he looks like a glorified Carrick and we have a big, strong, PKing bottom pairing D for the playoffs.

Lafferty's (one dimensional speedy forechecking bottom 6er) are widely available for not significant cost. Steady 6'7 bottom pair D men that have decent hands and can make a pass? There might be like 4 of those in the league and I can't even think of who they all are.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I think maybe that was one poster. Wasn't that just the Broberg guy?

Nucks have all these flash in the pan players that will be little or nothing elsewhere. Theres a lot of players that can get some stuff done when opponents aren't even bothering. As soon as the same have to play against close checking and marking and playoff intensity they disappear. Why I always said Nucks were a house of cards.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think maybe that was one poster. Wasn't that just the Broberg guy?

Nucks have all these flash in the pan players that will be little or nothing elsewhere. Theres a lot of players that can get some stuff done when opponents aren't even bothering. As soon as the same have to play against close checking and marking and playoff intensity they disappear. Why I always said Nucks were a house of cards.
Nah there was a few.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Some "extreme favorite" ;)
Haha. Yup. Cup 1 Arrogant Guy 0. I expected a tight series but one where the Canucks would out power the Preds to win in 4 or 5 games. But all bets go out the window when a team loses a top 5 goaltender in the league.

I listened to Tocchet's post game presser and get the impression the news on Demko's injury is worse than announced but also that this team Great Leap Forward still has inexperienced top players struggling in the moment and shift to playoff grind. Having a four shot opening period after a big win and a jacked home crowd is a pretty big sign of nerves. I thought the floodgates would open after finding the way to win the opener. Still think the Canucks win this series and my hope for an Oilers revenge opportunity to correct an embarrassing season sweep.

:thumbu: . Credit to a well coached lunch bucket Predators team and for you in calling me out!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't get the constant media fascination either for really small D like Hughes that can just walk the line. So what. Yeah you're pint sized, you should be able to move quick, you're carrying less weight. But thats also the crux. All somebody has to do there when your'e trying to walk them at the line is go right through you. Don't fish for the puck, take center of where he's at or moving to and just push him out of zone and relieve him of the puck.

Smurfs shouldn't dance at the line and there is an answer to it. Take the body, take him out of there. Teams can stunt this too. Develop a set situation where one guy is chasing Hughes at the line and then suddenly double team him with a guy moving up. Its a risk/reward I would try because if it works you have a two man breakaway. If it doesn't work Hughes passes down low.

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Isles had a one shot third the other night lol

Although in all fairness NSH had a two 4 shot periods last night. Glad I didn't watch the game
WOW. I channel surf right by Islander games. That series looked like paint drying for the couple minutes I peeked in.

I too missed most of the Canuckles game last night being out. But I've also been watching and have more interest in the Jets v. Colorado series. That's been highly entertaining with scoring, lead changes, and dynamic skill and skating. Canucks look like deers in the headlights with frustration trying to get pucks to the net. Can't play a soft skill perimeter game in the second season and hope to win. Petterssen is clearly struggle and Boesser is a soft player. Demko injury is a heaping helping of adversity and clear they struggled.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haha. Yup. Cup 1 Arrogant Guy 0. I expected a tight series but one where the Canucks would out power the Preds to win in 4 or 5 games. But all bets go out the window when a team loses a top 5 goaltender in the league.

I listened to Tocchet's post game presser and get the impression the news on Demko's injury is worse than announced but also that this team Great Leap Forward still has inexperienced top players struggling in the moment and shift to playoff grind. Having a four shot opening period after a big win and a jacked home crowd is a pretty big sign of nerves. I thought the floodgates would open after finding the way to win the opener. Still think the Canucks win this series and my hope for an Oilers revenge opportunity to correct an embarrassing season sweep.

:thumbu: . Credit to a well coached lunch bucket Predators team and for you in calling me out!
Are they really well coached though? I get that the Preds play predictable sets and that players are on board with what the schemes are. But playing prevent for whole periods is limited and idiotic and for instance why Preds always struggle against the Oilers top talent. Its just a bad idea in general to spend so much time in own zone. The current preds team isn't even that strong in NZ. They spend most of their defending in own zone and without elite goatending playing great that is doomed to failure in the playoffs.

Late in the game and Preds had 12 shots and had had only 8mins Ozone time. Worse, this is what their schemes have them do. Its untenable. The Preds play complete period collapse schemes as if they are on pk. Really frustrating team to watch.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Are they really well coached though? I get that the Preds play predictable sets and that players are on board with what the schemes are. But playing prevent for whole periods is limited and idiotic and for instance why Preds always struggle against the Oilers top talent. Its just a bad idea in general to spend so much time in own zone. The current preds team isn't even that strong in NZ. They spend most of their defending in own zone and without elite goatending playing great that is doomed to failure in the playoffs.

Late in the game and Preds had 12 shots and had had only 8mins Ozone time. Worse, this is what their schemes have them do. Its untenable. The Preds play complete period collapse schemes as if they are on pk. Really frustrating team to watch.
I agree but didn’t LA show this season that playing this type of hockey is the Canucks Achilles’ heel? Suffocate until a mistake then strike.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree but didn’t LA show this season that playing this type of hockey is the Canucks Achilles’ heel? Suffocate until a mistake then strike.
Not sure what you mean. I question how well the 1-3-1 works for LA considering their goaltending. Kings best games is when they have initiated puck pressure in games and played more agressive to pucks. When they lay back they start to lose traction. They have managed to win a share of games when they are hanging back but not against better clubs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not sure what you mean. I question how well the 1-3-1 works for LA considering their goaltending. Kings best games is when they have initiated puck pressure in games and played more agressive to pucks. When they lay back they start to lose traction. They have managed to win a share of games when they are hanging back but not against better clubs.
I’m saying the L.A. Kings suffocating play style worked on the Canucks this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad