GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The 23-24 regular season is now over and here’s where the fun really begins.

First team to win 16 games takes it all!

No more 3 on 3!
No more circus shootouts!
No more Calgary!
No more Coyotes!

Round 1:
West:
Team PDO vs Team Catfish
Team Debbie does Corporate LTIR
Team PP Whores vs The City with no Airport
Team “Oh great, you guys again” vs Our Boys

East:
Team America vs Team “We didn’t really want to be here this year but everyone else sucked so we made it in somehow”
Team Showgirls vs Team OG Cap Circumvention
Team Leafs Ownership vs Team Centre of the Universe
Team Bag of Wind vs Team Balls on the Table

Saturday, Saturday, SATURDAY it all begins!!

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Playoffs, glorious playoffs.

Just a question here but this is my first playoffs running a 4K Uled HDTV. Pretty decent picture when its actual 4k feeds but I find that the Snet telecast is not that. It seems instead to be upscaled generation rather than actual 4K broadcast. WTF. This is 2024. Is anybody getting any true 4K resolution broadcasts of NHL. Theres no way this is actual 4K. We're being sold something that isn't being delivered. Maybe TSN and Snet should stop with the 4K specific earmarked tiers or actually broadcast in 4K. jebus, I get better resolution from youtube, tubi, and Roku, lol. Even Crave which I pay for (why?) isn't even streamed anywhere close to 4K. Might be 1080 now if lucky.

I find this article interesting.

But I don't need a ton of cameras and angles broadcasting a game. especially in 4K. I'd do with 3-4 cameras. Producers WANT all kinds of extra cameras and production. Viewers just want actual 4K once in awhile. Once you get used to it its harder to go back. lol

That said I wonder if part of the fear is that if they broadcast more sports live in 4K then fewer people would even want to go to the game. Even at 1080 your already see the game better on your couch than row whatever in the stands.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So....always upsets in the first round and then things settle down. Who do you think is ripe?

I can see the Canucks getting knocked out. Same with Colorado. In the east, not necesarily an upset, but I can see the Leafs getting cooked.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Playoffs, glorious playoffs.

Just a question here but this is my first playoffs running a 4K Uled HDTV. Pretty decent picture when its actual 4k feeds but I find that the Snet telecast is not that. It seems instead to be upscaled generation rather than actual 4K broadcast. WTF. This is 2024. Is anybody getting any true 4K resolution broadcasts of NHL. Theres no way this is actual 4K. We're being sold something that isn't being delivered. Maybe TSN and Snet should stop with the 4K specific earmarked tiers or actually broadcast in 4K. jebus, I get better resolution from youtube, tubi, and Roku, lol. Even Crave which I pay for (why?) isn't even streamed anywhere close to 4K. Might be 1080 now if lucky.

I find this article interesting.

But I don't need a ton of cameras and angles broadcasting a game. especially in 4K. I'd do with 3-4 cameras. Producers WANT all kinds of extra cameras and production. Viewers just want actual 4K once in awhile. Once you get used to it its harder to go back. lol

That said I wonder if part of the fear is that if they broadcast more sports live in 4K then fewer people would even want to go to the game. Even at 1080 your already see the game better on your couch than row whatever in the stands.

Generally this seems to be how true 4K broadcasts go on Sportsnet:

Leaf home game 4K

Jets home game 4K (no idea why Winnipeg is the other 4K building)

Everything else - not 4K

However, is a game isn't broadcast in true 4K, it's still best to watch the game on the Sportsnet 4K channel. I don't know exactly why, but the image is crisper on that channel even though it isn't true 4K.

:D good luck with that.

"Come on down to Calgary! If you aren't enticed by the worst facilities in the NHL, a cold, high tax market, the garbage roster, and the high visibility market, maybe the fact that the owner is arguably the cheapest in the entire NHL will bring you in!"

What a pitch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Generally this seems to be how true 4K broadcasts go on Sportsnet:

Leaf home game 4K

Jets home game 4K (no idea why Winnipeg is the other 4K building)

Everything else - not 4K

However, is a game isn't broadcast in true 4K, it's still best to watch the game on the Sportsnet 4K channel. I don't know exactly why, but the image is crisper on that channel even though it isn't true 4K.

"Come on down to Calgary! If you aren't enticed by the worst facilities in the NHL, a cold, high tax market, the garbage roster, and the high visibility market, maybe the fact that the owner is arguably the cheapest in the entire NHL will bring you in!"

What a pitch.
Its upscaled 1080 mostly on the 4K Snet and TSN 4K channels. Not authentic 4K which is cost prohibitive to record and broadcast. Thats as much as I know. Techies are much more into the specifics and whether its HDR or not and such. But I've seen real 4K Football, and its glorious. One thing thats annoying is since I got the 4K Tv theres a bit of artifacts where the puck gets dumped down the ice it kind of distorts it. Really weird. Doesn't occur on slapshots or passes, just dumps down the ice. Could even be picking up a broadcast artifact with them switching cameras or something. Its weird how the better TV you get the more problems with telecasts are noted.

Really I'd be OK with even some of the games, or the SC final being broadcast in true 4K. Really they've been promising this for years to get people to switch over and buy 4K. But now the usual delaying and "this is good enough for you" from broadcasters.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I kinda like Weegar.
I have to say he's not terrible at all. At first he struggled more in Calgary but really he's been one of their best players and not taking games off much and stuff. Still lol first name for a boy. Just guarantee your kid gets beat up in school...

A boy named Sue. lol. Johnny Cash sang about that.

Nashville's a big team that likes to hit and they have virtually no pressure on them. Could be a nightmare match-up for Vancouver.
My take was ANY playoff level opponent of the cucks was going to be that but anyway. hehe

Reactions: Mav3rick07

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So....always upsets in the first round and then things settle down. Who do you think is ripe?

I can see the Canucks getting knocked out. Same with Colorado. In the east, not necesarily an upset, but I can see the Leafs getting cooked.
Bruins have been playing like crap since the all star break, could see the Leafs taking them out. Think the Jets will take out the Avs as well.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bruins have been playing like crap since the all star break, could see the Leafs taking them out. Think the Jets will take out the Avs as well.

The Bruins fate is 100% dependant on the play of their goaltending. The rest of their lineup is relatively mediocre.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Bruins fate is 100% dependant on the play of their goaltending. The rest of their lineup is relatively mediocre.
I think they blew their load chasing the points record last year and ran out of gas in the playoffs. They saw how shitty the bubble teams were so took it easy to save some energy for the playoffs. The East teams are just meh. Tampa isn’t what they once were, the Canes and Isles are just there, Toronto doesn’t have a chance. The Rangers are good but are playoff chokers. I think Boston stands a good chance at coming out of the East.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the Flames are basically the 2008 Oilers
A mix of old vets, younger mid-players and guys they got in a trades
Coupled with with a horrible Arena, cheap ownership and a reputation of a “have not” franchise since everyone bailed

And here we are..the difference is they aren’t “top 5 pick” bad like the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad