GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 II: Whacked NHL Scheduling is Whacked | Mod Warning Post #1964

Status
Not open for further replies.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
I wonder why Westhead never goes after the other sports including amateur sport in Universities and colleges. He only likes to dig up dirt in hockey and seems to make it the exclusive domain of all bad things. Pretty sad that he paints such a biased picture of the sport when far more good than bad happens with our game.
You know what actually paints the sport in a bad light? All the sexual assault coverups

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Me too.
But everyone here is predicting they falter and not win a cup.
That's not what it's about for me. I'm nervous they have enough to knock us out.

Vancouver does have a lot good pieces. I don’t think they are the best team in the Pacific, and I think they’re record is inflated but they are still a dangerous team. Demko does scare me the most though.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Heres the Nucks banner now. I'm fine with it. Let em have it.

Add the crowd as the 7th man, and the Canucks can hang "that" banner again

102508_bannersanford_b.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well Koala got fired. That sucks for us. Pretty convinced that McLellan was holding that team back.

But I think Blake loves the 1-3-1 and they promoted the assistant. So coach bump might not be much.
Maybe I’m just out of touch, but what about that roster indicates being held back?

Their 1C, 1D and 1G are all well past primes. Their defensive group is Doughty and a bunch of nobodies and guys like Kempe, Fiala and Dubois are far from elite top end talent. Byfield is finally starting to put some things together, but he’s not yet consistent.

Frankly they’ve been more than the some of their parts the last 2 and a half seasons.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Maybe I’m just out of touch, but what about that roster indicates being held back?

Their 1C, 1D and 1G are all well past primes. Their defensive group is Doughty and a bunch of nobodies and guys like Kempe, Fiala and Dubois are far from elite top end talent. Byfield is finally starting to put some things together, but he’s not yet consistent.

Frankly they’ve been more than the some of their parts the last 2 and a half seasons.

I think last year when we played them in the playoffs, I think they are better offensively than they were given credit for. I don’t think playing the 1-3-1 was the best for their talent level. I think they would be more effective with an aggressive forecheck and more of a pressure offensive game. Maybe 1-3-1 is good in some situations. As we know, McLellan isn’t good at adjustments and ends up getting exposed in a 7 game series.

I haven’t watched them (much) this year though. But obviously the PLD trade isn’t working great. I think they have lost some of their depth. It does seem like Kopitar/Doughty are being overplayed and are starting to fade a bit.

I don’t think their young players have thrived under McLellan. Byfield has started to break out though.

I do think Blake is as much of a problem as McLellan though.

Kings are a good team though. It will be interesting to see how they do down the stretch. I do think they have a similar problem to the Rangers. I think they have a combination of an old core and a bunch of younger players struggling to get good opportunities.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
I think last year when we played them in the playoffs, I think they are better offensively than they were given credit for. I don’t think playing the 1-3-1 was the best for their talent level. I think they would be more effective with an aggressive forecheck and more of a pressure offensive game. Maybe 1-3-1 is good in some situations. As we know, McLellan isn’t good at adjustments and ends up getting exposed in a 7 game series.

I haven’t watched them (much) this year though. But obviously the PLD trade isn’t working great. I think they have lost some of their depth. It does seem like Kopitar/Doughty are being overplayed and are starting to fade a bit.

I don’t think their young players have thrived under McLellan. Byfield has started to break out though.

Kings are a good team though. It will be interesting to see how they do down the stretch. I do think they have a similar problem to the Rangers. I think they have a combination of an old core and a bunch of younger players struggling to get good opportunities.
But the Rangers have a potential game breaker in goal. Also, Panarin is by orders of magnitude better than any forward piece the Kings have. Oh ya, and Fox is better and younger than any Kings D.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
But the Rangers have a potential game breaker in goal. Also, Panarin is by orders of magnitude better than any forward piece the Kings have. Oh ya, and Fox is better and younger than any Kings D.

I do agree with Fox and Shersterkin.

I think Rangers are better. The two team make ups just remind me of each other other the goaltending. They were both teams on the cusp of rebuilding/retooling who got kind of lucky with draft lottery but started to take off before finishing the process.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Trouble is they've lost some of their talent. Arviddsson has been out injured all season. So they've been short a 60pt utility guy all the while. Then of course Gilalrdi and Iafallo gone in trade.

Thats a whole 3 topisx players Kings are missing, got PLD in return. Kings lineup is best used as a tight to pucks pressure line up pressuring turnovers all over. They have the skaters and in past had the depth to roll lines and do that.

The jury is out on whether they can do that for long now. But that said throughout the Kings arc this is an up and down club. They have to outwork teams to get Win streaks and then inevitably cant do that anymore.

But a new coach by default might be better at line matching, adjustments, and figuring where people should land. Adjustments were never a McLellan strength.

Last Kings are as good as they are because of 3 solid Centers and mostly a team that plays the right way. Danault is unsung, and one of the hardest working Centers in hockey. But its fair comment the team has exceeded expectations past few seasons. This should be a rebuild team, not a playoff team. The team buy in and pride and leadership has allowed them to be better.

But the Kings downfall is they do not have elite talent. In their cup era Doughty, Kopitar, Jeff Carter etc were that. But they dont' have it now. Team is limited so belief is harder.

Reactions: Spawn

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I think the Kings prospects have at times been overstated. Guys like Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lizotte are limited players. Others have already fallen by the wayside having been busts. A Kings top prospect Alex Turcotte, looks to be a bust as well. Kings have also had the bad luck of drafting top players like Turcotte, Villardi, that have had more lost time through injuries than playing time. With these two particularly not ever having them healthy was devastating. Byfield has landed. Brandt will be good in time. Kings have drawn in some talent to try to avoid being a non playoff club. Really the mere presence of Danault, Arviddson, PLD, Fiala is that the Kings needed forward help. They also went and got D help and G help as well. While the Kings have generally drafted well enough they have had a dearth of high picks the last dozen years. Ultimately that costs you.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I don’t expect a certain fanbase to have the sense to understand this, but troll liking on another team’s subforum is not something you’re suppose to do.

How do you discern a troll like? I mean i have liked a few posts on this board cause i liked the post but could see it being interpreted the other way

Reactions: gordonhught

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"Matthews leads team Matthews to victory in ASG"

The hype on this is all over and NHL site fully into it. This is like the Leafs SC. You want to laugh, because I've rarely seen this kind of dramatic emphasis on nothing before. ASG mean nothing, are nothing. But in Toronto they probably have a parade for it.

Apparently as well Matthews is the best player in the world. You have to remember that or it will be repated 300 times a day by Torontocentric media. Ironically with Toronto fans cheering loudest for McDavid. Its all too funny.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t expect a certain fanbase to have the sense to understand this, but troll liking on another team’s subforum is not something you’re suppose to do.

Might be the only way after 50 years of futility. Joke franchise
But, but, they have all these banners and retired Jerseys like Stan Smyl. Who can forget the 7-up banner? That is "Canada's team" Drunk Friedman said so..
1707072825736.png

Some people should be advised against working from home. Especially in video feed.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad