Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
As questionable as he has been as a player, I am still a little glad about his relationship with Crosby and that he was able to get the contract. Easy to say as an observer and not having to watch him on my team, but the way his parents did him dirty, I am glad he was able to settle his debts, clean his name and finances, and get back up into the millions.

Glad he made the "two shitty fukin' commas" club:

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What really irks me about that ordeal is how the league nixed the original Palffy trade to the Kings, yet did nothing of the sort when the Penguins dealt Jagr and all of their stars for a heaping pile of trash.

Not too dissimilar to the bullshit move by David Stern to block the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers.

Yeah, the league step in and said you had to throw in Jokenin, and of course Taylor said sure.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wasn't he injured most of the time here? I don't remember him playing a lot.

Was Rutherford GM in Carolina when they drafted him?

Cechmanek did get hurt, but he was also awful. His last game in a Kings jersey sure was a memorable one.

The Dean Lombardi model.

That’s why I question if it’ll work. Kasperi Kapanen isn’t going to elongate their window for contention.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
JMFJ doesn't get to keep much of his current contract due to his bankruptcy settlement. He's living off of $277,050.50 this season and next. Final 2 years of his contract is what he can keep from what I understand.

Very sad situation.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Penguins have had one 1st round selection since 2015, and they don’t have any 1sts this year and next year.

Rutherford is going to set up his successor with a very barren cupboard.

It's like players tanking during the season. They don't care about the next 18 year old that will come into the organization, even if he was picked #1, so they're not playing for that. How many GMs care about their successor? Even if you have a 5 year plan, you're not implementing it for someone who isn't you.

I think the Kings should go for it while Kopitar and Doughty are still good players much like Pittsburgh is doing.

They tried. While the Penguins have hit a bad streak in the playoffs, they're still at the top of their division every year. Something the Kings could never do consistently, even in their best days.

However, should the new group, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, the #2 pick, etc, show something, they would have a bunch of ELC talent for 1 or 2 years. The may have no choice but to add to try and win.

He certainly doesn’t care, but giving up that much for Kasperi Kapanen seems foolish to me when he could sign a UFA who can produce similar numbers without giving up assets.

But you're not going to get a 24 year old on a short term deal in the free agent market.

The UFA guys that have at least the same points per game over the last 2 years as Kapanen include Hall(28, going to get a big deal), Hoffman(will be 31 in Nov), Dadonov(31), Williams(will be 39, won't leave Carolina if he plays again), Granlund(28, and a huge letdown of a season), Thornton(41, probably won't leave SJ), Soderberg(will be 35 in Oct), and Kovalchuk(37, might go back to Montreal).

A couple options there, but everyone knows that guys like Hoffman and Dadonov are probably going to get contracts that are immediately regretted, outside of hopefully the first year or two. Maybe they can still add Granlund on a cheap contract, since he did absolutely nothing for his value in Nashville?

Kinda my thing, it's not so much that Pittsburgh chose to keep swinging with Crosby and Malkin, you kinda have to, it's that they did all that for Kapanen and rescued TO in the process. Even if you had always planned on flushing the 1st down the toilet if it weren't Lafreniere, spending a mid first on a guy who's a 40-pointer middle-sixer JAG is like...meh. Slap him with Crosby/Malkin and maybe that becomes 50 points but they must be high on his upside as well as placing this as a puzzle piece in a series of additional moves.

It all depends on what a 15th overall pick is. Are you likely to get a better player than a 40 point mid-top 6 guy with the pick? When will he help you if you get a good one? How much better of a player can you acquire for a mid 1st round pick? Should you keep the pick, and sign an older UFA?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
It all depends on what a 15th overall pick is. Are you likely to get a better player than a 40 point mid-top 6 guy with the pick? When will he help you if you get a good one? How much better of a player can you acquire for a mid 1st round pick? Should you keep the pick, and sign an older UFA?

I think late first round picks are overvalued.
#15 pick might just be high enough that you'd expect a bit more than a middle 6 winger from the pick, but in general, you'd be doing okay if you got a middle 6 winger in the middle of the 1st round. There's obviously the potential for getting a home run pick which is the reason these picks are valued so highly and also the potential for a bust.

The idea shouldn't necessarily be to have a 1st round pick in one specific year, but rather draft multiple first/second rounders over the course of several season so that a couple of them pan out and become significant contributors.

They've had one 1st round pick in the last 5 years and they don't have a 1st next year.
I don't think trading this year's 1st is going to wreck their future because they didn't have one to begin with.

You're obviously not getting a 40-point winger at $3.2m AAV via free agency.
And it looks like they put more value on him because he has pretty good contract and they're looking to keep the cap hit down.
And Kapanen is young enough that I don't think it's such a terrible trade for the Pens.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Maybe I just have trauma from seeing that 1st pick the Kings dealt for one year of Lucic and seeing the player most of us here were hoping the Kings would draft in that spot help lead his team to a deep playoff run.

Also, Sharks fans will probably accuse Dustin Brown for doing this.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Cechmanek was an interesting one. He'd make plenty of saves, but the goals he'd allow were just so ridiculously deflating

I think his first game with the kings, he went to cover a puck while on his knees with next to no time left on the clock and it slid under his "lacrosse glove", between his legs and into the net as time expired to give the Dead Wings the win. Little did we know that was a harbinger of what was to come all season.

Reactions: Jericho111091

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, because we all remember how cordial and humble Canucks fans can be when their team is good.

Those Canucks had quite the collection of unlikable characters, starting with Alain Vigneault behind the bench and then trickling down to assholes like Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Alexandre Burrows, Raffi Torres and Maxim Lapierre.

It was so pleasing to watch the Bruins crush that team in Game 7.

That said, these Canucks aren't anything like that team. Lot of exciting, young talent on their squad.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Those Canucks had quite the collection of unlikable characters, starting with Alain Vigneault behind the bench and then trickling down to assholes like Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Alexandre Burrows, Raffi Torres and Maxim Lapierre.

It was so pleasing to watch the Bruins crush that team in Game 7.

That said, these Canucks aren't anything like that team. Lot of exciting, young talent on their squad.

Plus Toffoli and Pearson. I picked Vancouver to make the finals - their fans are god awful but I like their team.

Reactions: Telos

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad