OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
San Jose is so, so bad defensively and in goal. And add to that not being able to score this game? Jesus

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I wonder if Karlsson will ever be healthy for a playoff run again...trying to play on an injured groin could be doing permanent damage that will ensure he only plays ~60 games per season and is always gimpy come April.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Avs come back from 2-0 and win 3-2 in OT to take a 3-1 series lead over the Flames....Calgary was absolutely dominated all night long too they look awful and can't say I'm really that surprised.

Also, Cale Makar looks as dynamic as it gets offensively....jesus he's fast, skilled, and quick to make offensive decisions. Already a threat everytime he gets in the offensive zone and looks like the Avs have another MacKinnon out there when he's on the ice. His breakout passes are gorgeous too. He played sheltered minutes so I didn't get too good of a look at him defensively but I don't think he's bad defensively and even if he was he's so good and quick at getting the puck out of his own end that it doesn't matter. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 50+ points next season. Maybe more assuming he gets top PP time. He's a very risky player though but his skating allows it. Plays like he's a forward and dman in the same shift. All over the ice every shift

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Avs come back from 2-0 and win 3-2 in OT to take a 3-1 series lead over the Flames....Calgary was absolutely dominated all night long too they look awful and can't say I'm really that surprised.

Also, Cale Makar looks as dynamic as it gets offensively....jesus he's fast, skilled, and quick to make offensive decisions. Already a threat everytime he gets in the offensive zone and looks like the Avs have another MacKinnon out there when he's on the ice. His breakout passes are gorgeous too. He played sheltered minutes so I didn't get too good of a look at him defensively but I don't think he's bad defensively and even if he was he's so good and quick at getting the puck out of his own end that it doesn't matter. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 50+ points next season. Maybe more assuming he gets top PP time. He's a very risky player though but his skating allows it. Plays like he's a forward and dman in the same shift. All over the ice every shift

The Flames can't match Colorado's speed. They're going to have to severely re-adjust their strategy on Friday night.

Makar is a f***ing stud. I've pumped his tires for years- he will be incredible.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The Flames can't match Colorado's speed. They're going to have to severely re-adjust their strategy on Friday night.

Makar is a ****ing stud. I've pumped his tires for years- he will be incredible.

I honestly couldn't believe how good he actually was while watching him tonight. I knew he was good, I didn't know he was THIS good.

What was his issue in his draft year that kept him from going higher? Questions about his defensive play or something?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I honestly couldn't believe how good he actually was while watching him tonight. I knew he was good, I didn't know he was THIS good.

What was his issue in his draft year that kept him from going higher? Questions about his defensive play or something?
He played in a Junior A league in Alberta (AJHL) in his draft year- competition would be lower than the BCHL so it was harder to project him. If he were playing in the CHL against other draft prospects and more visibility, he wouldn't have been a draft surprise.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He played in a Junior A league in Alberta (AJHL) in his draft year- competition would be lower than the BCHL so it was harder to project him. If he were playing in the CHL against other draft prospects and more visibility, he wouldn't have been a draft surprise.

Well, he's gonna be a realll good one for the Avs.

Heiskanen, Dahlin, Makar, Q. Hughes

f*** next season is gonna be crazy. And the next 10 I suppose

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There was some talk of Makar being taken by the Stars at 3, by outside experts. After the draft, Nill said Miro was his top guy even with the first pick, but some experts had Makar as the better player, although more offense than defense. Miro does just fine at both, thank you. He was awfully quiet last night. Maybe so much emphasis on him he opened up space elsewhere.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
There was some talk of Makar being taken by the Stars at 3, by outside experts. After the draft, Nill said Miro was his top guy even with the first pick, but some experts had Makar as the better player, although more offense than defense. Miro does just fine at both, thank you. He was awfully quiet last night. Maybe so much emphasis on him he opened up space elsewhere.

Last night was weird. Other than a couple of turnovers he looked fantastic defensively though. He made defending against some of the Preds top guys look too easy at times. Guess it was the score so he was just playing safe. It was Klingberg's show last night though and I'm all for them taking turns :) or at the same time would be nice too

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yesterdays game was over after the first period and the coaching staff worked really hard to keep everybodies minutes down without completely going into coasting mode . So i don't think you can take anything from last night.

Makar though looks very good for the Avs and thats great for them . Hell he's a 4th overall pick in his D+2 . He's supposed to be very good . Thats how it should be. Same with Miro.

You pick top5 you should be getting a great player.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ouch the Jets just blew that 2-0 lead in the 3rd period...Blues tied it and then scored to go up 3-2 with 15 seconds left lol brutal

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Yzerman in as Detroit's GM. Unsurprising.

I'll be interested to see how the team looks in a few years. I don't doubt that Yzerman is a good GM, but I think Tampa was just an overall perfect situation. Committed owner who knew when and when not to be involved; terrific scouting; plenty of talent already on the roster when he took over; and just a great front office at every level. Detroit doesn't seem to have the same set-up. Was Yzerman the main catalyst in Tampa and will that be seen in Detroit?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Yeah, it's always hard to separate the effect of a leader on a large organization from random chance without a lot of years of data, so it'll be interesting to see how he does in Detroit.

I think he gets a bit more credit than he deserves for his drafting though because of some late picks working out well. Was that due to scouting or just luck? Hard to say without more years of data.

We give Nill a lot of crap for his first round drafting, but Yzerman's selections are not very impressive either. He whiffed hard on his 3rd overall pick in 2013 for example (took Drouin over Seth Jones), but how often does that come up in "best drafting GM" lists?

Reactions: LatvianTwist

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah, it's always hard to separate the effect of a leader on a large organization from random chance without a lot of years of data, so it'll be interesting to see how he does in Detroit.

I think he gets a bit more credit than he deserves for his drafting though because of some late picks working out well. Was that due to scouting or just luck? Hard to say without more years of data.

We give Nill a lot of crap for his first round drafting, but Yzerman's selections are not very impressive either. He whiffed hard on his 3rd overall pick in 2013 for example (took Drouin over Seth Jones), but how often does that come up in "best drafting GM" lists?
yeah he whiffed on Drouin, andin short order turned it into Sergachev.
Nill took Honka over Larkin, Gurianov over Barzal/Connor and we've got nothing to show for it

Also a 50+p nhl player isn't "whiffing" really.
Every 1st round pick under his regime is an NHL quality player. Same cannot be said for Nill

Reactions: Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
fext-gif.gif

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gaudreau going 1 on 4 and then passing to absolutely nobody is just sad to watch.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Colorado might make it to the second round for the first time in 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad