Around The League - 15-16 Part II (Expansion!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm actually arguing with an Oilers fan that their prospect pool is better then ours WITHOUT McDavid. Also they suddenly have amazing defensive depth now. Where did that come from?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm actually arguing with an Oilers fan that their prospect pool is better then ours WITHOUT McDavid. Also they suddenly have amazing defensive depth now. Where did that come from?

Let them live in their fantasy world.

They have terrible defensive depth, it's funny how Reinhardt is suddenly good now that he's on their team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Reinhart, obviously. :laugh:

In response to your question went and looked at their D roster to refresh my memory. It is still pretty sad. Petry out, Sekera in. Reinhart hasn't progressed since his draft. May still turn out OK eventually but his development has been underwhelming. Nurse might be ready to be an upgrade but they need more than 1 promising rookie.

Sekera and Klefbom look like a pretty good 2nd pair (both lefties though) and they have a bunch of fair to good 3rd pair guys but no 1st pair at all.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What I've learned this year:

Never under any circumstances hire a GM from the Bruins management tree. Benning and Sweeney are awful.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
What I've learned this year:

Never under any circumstances hire a GM from the Bruins management tree. Benning and Sweeney are awful.

I'll wait for Griffin Reinhart's season and Chiarelli's next big move before I make that call. His smaller moves were awful, though. Marincin+Gordon for Gryba+Korpikoski...

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
As long as they don't go the MLB route of taking down all online content, I'm good with that. The MLB streaming service is miles above NeuLion.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Random thought:
Why is everybody freaking out about Kane/Toews, when Ovechkin's contract was wayyy bigger relative to the cap, and Crosby/Malkin were payed much more than "21M" relative to a 71.4M cap?

These contracts are nothing special, really.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Random thought:
Why is everybody freaking out about Kane/Toews, when Ovechkin's contract was wayyy bigger relative to the cap, and Crosby/Malkin were payed much more than "21M" relative to a 71.4M cap?

These contracts are nothing special, really.

I wouldn't put it that way. They are special but manageable. The Hawks demonstrated how it is done. You have to be willing to trade and give up quality. They gave up a key building block in Saad but when the dust settled they had brought their cap under control. They are probably as good as before and got a bit younger too.

Once you have built a strong team you have to be prepared to shuffle the deck to control the cap hit. You need to move quickly and decisively. They gave up value and got value back.

I remember a lot of dire predictions for Minny when they signed both Suter and Parise. They didn't get the instant SC contender some thought they would but they didn't get cap hell either.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2015/08/04/NHL-MLBAM.aspx?hl=nhl&sc=0

MLBAM will take over operations of the websites of the league and its 30 clubs, all mobile applications, and its GameCenter Live streaming video service. The NHL had previously used NeuLion as its digital vendor for the past seven years.

From the NHL press release http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776247&navid=nhl:topheads
MLBAM receives exclusive rights to distribute live, out-of-market NHL telecasts in the United States and certain international markets, including via the NHL GameCenter LIVE subscription service.
Sounds like it doesn't apply to Canada. Looks like I'll still have to put up with the "psychic posters" who cheer for our goals, or boo opponents' goals, 45 seconds before they happen on my GCL stream :rant: Oh well, at least Rogers added a 4500 kilo-bippies stream last season, which definitely looks better.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I like Sutter more then most here but I don't like him enough to give him that contract. Not only did Benning lose the trade for Sutter he lost the contract to.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yuck. I guess that's the trend these days

It's not like Nick Bonino is amazing either though.

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Point totals are similar.

P/60 last year was not, which is arguably more important. 1.99 Bonino, 1.18 Sutter, 5v5 - that's a huge difference. They're closer when you look at all situations, but I don't think the difference favours Vancouver.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Canucks fans that think Sutter will be a lateral step from Bonino are in for such a rude awakening. :laugh:

Brandon Sutter was the single largest problem for the Pens last year. He is awful. Benning is a dolt.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Details still pretty murky:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/patrick-kane-subject-of-police-investigation--report-160502314.html

Just a quick reminder re: the libel rule

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

I'm guessing that more concrete facts will start coming out about this incident fairly soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad