Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The one thing that Treliving has that no one on this board does is actual insight into Brodie's intentions at Free Agency.

If Treliving has the option on the table to extend Brodie, then I get being mad at him if he chooses to trade him instead. But you can't really say "Treliving shouldn't trade Brodie" outright without knowing whether that option exists.

I would, however, say that bringing back Hamonic is probably a mistake under any circumstance, because of the tendency to play a player you know well more than he deserves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The one thing that Treliving has that no one on this board does is actual insight into Brodie's intentions at Free Agency.

If Treliving has the option on the table to extend Brodie, then I get being mad at him if he chooses to trade him instead. But you can't really say "Treliving shouldn't trade Brodie" outright without knowing whether that option exists.

I would, however, say that bringing back Hamonic is probably a mistake under any circumstance, because of the tendency to play a player you know well more than he deserves.
I would say that adding Toronto to his NTC after a proposed deal fell through signaled his intentions to remain in Calgary, especially since he and his family are from Ontario

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think we are at the same stage when we had Jarome Iginla on his last legs with the Flames, around late 2010.

I don't have much faith in Brad Treliving, I think we continue to spin our wheels in the mud for a while and after a little while longer Brad Treliving is fired and we are at square one(needing to rebuild but the owners holding onto false hope.)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Are they really that obsessed with being so thoroughly mediocre? What is with this franchise. Will there ever truly be a day and age when the Flames don't need to be saved from themselves?

I know that feel.

source.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Hey we agreed on something lol

Although I disagree with the 'probably'
It's 100% a mistake...they should get what they can for him...he does more damage than good at this point

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hamonic bumped to top pairing in practice

Can’t wait for Wards autobiography titled “How to Coach Your Way Out of a Job 101”

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Colorado to potentially get a new AHL club

The likeliest AHL team to make the move is the Stockton Heat, which aligns with the rumors swirling on Twitter at the moment.
The Heat are having a great year so far in Stockton. Currently at 28-13-6 on the season, the Heat are second place in the Pacific Division, the same division Colorado currently resides in, too. The issue is the market around that area of Stockton, California — or lack thereof.
According to HockeyDB.com, Stockton has the lowest average attendance in the American League this season at 2,798 per game, down from the 3,690 attendance number of last season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gulutzan and Hamilton will always be on my shit list for robbing us of two prime years from Gio

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamilton
Kylington-Hamonic

Not.
even.
once.

smh

A little overaggressive IMO... but the other issue was that Hamilton apparently didn't want to play without Gio and for whatever reason we catered to it.

Kulak Hamilton pairing.
19 year old Kylington - Dog shit Hamonic pairing.

giphy.gif

That team would have been perfect, had we not traded our first for Hammer, we'd have been in line for Dahlin.

? No not really IMO.

I think we still pick around the same range but maybe 1-2 picks higher at best. We'd still have a similar confusion as to what to do with our roster right now, but just more in the pipeline to use as currency.

The team had done quite well the season before. That season was already a monumental collapse. I don't think we do much worse without Hamonic. A major issue was had was that we also retooled our entire system to cater to Mike Smith's puck moving abilities. The craziest part of the equation though, I don't think Rittich develops the same way at all without a swagger guy like Smith to mentor him. Rittich mentioned he sucked, then he caught fire at the worlds which gave him the confidence to play has he has in the last bit. We also had Eddie Lack in the fold and a refusal to play Brodie as RD.

2017-2018 was Kulak fighting for time against Bartkowski and often paired with a breaking down Stone. Hamonic in 2017-2018 wasn't bad at all. Andersson also wasn't mature yet and still more fat ras than the current ras hole.

A 2017-2018 season without Hamonic IMO looks more like:

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Bartkowski/Kulak - Andersson (on par with 2017-2018 or 2016-2017 Wideman version of Andersson)

Smith/Lack

Because of the pure picks trade, there's no NHL roster adjustment. IMO, that's still as bad as a the crater with Hamonic involved.

OKG is a homer on Kulak, that's for sure. But I do think I have to stand closer to him than you on this one. Kulak with more ice time is a bit more of a consistent dman. He just never strung together enough with less ice time to show he deserved time over Bartkowski. I think he could do as he was able to do in Montreal with more ice time here. But I recall he had stints in the top 4 and he'd show flashes, then wilt in the same way that Russell would if overused as a 3/4 vs 4/5... so I don't disagree with you either...

Kylington also has not shown the same poise and capabilities in previous seasons vs this season IMO, so I'll stand on your side vs OKG's side on that one. He was way too lost in his own zone back then. Though to consider OKG's opinion, I will consider that based on what I've seen so far, he might be the type to develop better learning how to tread water vs doing laps in the kiddie pool, so him playing on the bottom pairing might have worked?

I will assume our man games lost is similar, so it's OK to consider that being on the bottom pairing means meaningful development vs more pine riding and popcorn munching? Plus Kylington is the perfect type of dman for Gully's system with the stop and go style movement as his acceleration is fantastic...

We possibly also don't have the same type of Ferland/Dougie usage without that trade to do the Lindholm/Hanifin trade, but maybe we do... ??

In an alternate universe, I think everything up to today looks exactly the same sans Hamonic and more currency. I think essentially everything else plays out with similar end results every season since the Hamonic acquisition? I'd almost summarize it as more currency, a weaker roster, but more gel which mitigates less NHL talent?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Oh god I thought we finally saw the last of Leah Hextall when SN made all those cuts.

Can't we get someone better like Kathryn Tappen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad