Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just going to leave this here …

I see his points. I think those things only provide value if they are backed up by solid fundamentals. Kids shouldn’t practice this stuff until their core fundamentals skills are solid and they are ready to move to the next level.

I also see this as an example of why I think Torts never coaches again. The game has passed him by.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Former Jackets prospect Calvin Thurkauf

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-12-13_10-47-9.png

Six of the top seven teams in the league by points % are in the East, including the top five...and three of those five are in the Metro.

Parody my ***.
EDIT - leaving it in

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
With Anton Khudobin going on waivers, let's see how desperate teams are for goaltending. He's making more money than Korpi and signed for 1 more year so he probably clears. If he gets claimed, then maybe the could be more of a trade market for Korpisalo than we thought right now.

Reactions: Monk

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Some tidbits from around the hockey world:

-It sounds like the NHL players to the Olympics in 2022 may not be happening, or at least is not as much of a given as previously thought.
NHLers discuss 'uneasy' Olympic decision as COVID-19 cases rise
As COVID-19 cases continue to rise across the NHL and more and more games are postponed, questions over whether players should participate in February's Beijing Olympics are getting louder and louder.

On Friday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the league would honour a promise made in the last round of CBA negotiations and let the players play, but news over the weekend that anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 in China could be forced to quarantine for up to 3-5 weeks has some players wondering if it's worth the risk.

-Speaking of covid, Calgary became the third team this season to shut down games due to # of players in the protocol. They're postponed through at least Thursday, the 16th. The Jackets are slated to play the Flames on the 18th. Keep an eye on that. Sebastian Aho and Nico Hischier are also in the protocol, among others.

-The Coyotes apparently have payed their tax bill (and maybe their arena rent?) but still have no arena in place for next season. What a mess.

-Ben Bishop has retired.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
headed toward another shut down in the new year

With the Olympics seeming less and less likely by the day, I could see the league pausing, especially in the next few weeks if Omicron spreads, and then using that time period that's scheduled for the Olympics to make up the games.

Reactions: DJA

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
With the Olympics seeming less and less likely by the day, I could see the league pausing, especially in the next few weeks if Omicron spreads, and then using that time period that's scheduled for the Olympics to make up the games.
Many of the arenas are booked for concerts and other events during those 3 weeks apparently

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just delay until after Christmas. And with the Olympics looking less likely you can make up the games during that time period.

If they still do go, extend the regular season by two weeks or until it’s all caught up.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
With Anton Khudobin going on waivers, let's see how desperate teams are for goaltending. He's making more money than Korpi and signed for 1 more year so he probably clears. If he gets claimed, then maybe the could be more of a trade market for Korpisalo than we thought right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just delay until after Christmas. And with the Olympics looking less likely you can make up the games during that time period.

If they still do go, extend the regular season by two weeks or until it’s all caught up.

It's tricky. If you delay because of the number of current positive tests, there are no guarantees that the number of positives will be lower right after Christmas. You might just end up indefinitely delaying the season for months and maybe have another lost year.

Personally I think that since all of these athletes are vaccinated (and presumably most boosted), the risk of serious illness from omicron or delta is pretty low. If the players are actually getting seriously ill then that changes my mind on the matter, but for now I'm assuming that when we hear about "23 players entering the covid protocol", this is not serious illness going around in this population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad