Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I am heavily influenced by really good offense, probably because the CBJ has been pretty dreadful. With that said I don't know if Edmonton's issues are easily fixed. Nurse is pretty talented but to enter the playoffs with Smith in net & a whole lot of nothing on the blueline just doesn't make any sense to me. Contrast with the Pens during their SC years: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF or Murray and a whole bunch of role players that play really well in the team concept. Leon is uber talented.. McDavid is improving year to year, but neither has the two way game of Crosby or Malkin.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am heavily influenced by really good offense, probably because the CBJ has been pretty dreadful. With that said I don't know if Edmonton's issues are easily fixed. Nurse is pretty talented but to enter the playoffs with Smith in net & a whole lot of nothing on the blueline just doesn't make any sense to me. Contrast with the Pens during their SC years: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF or Murray and a whole bunch of role players that play really well in the team concept. Leon is uber talented.. McDavid is improving year to year, but neither has the two way game of Crosby or Malkin.

Their blueline and goaltending is a lot closer to vintage Penguins than their depth scoring is.

Crosby and Malkin had some good wingers - Hornqvist, Guentzel, Rust, Kessel. Or in the first cup run - Guerin, Kunitz, Sykora, Fedotenko, Satan, Talbot, etc...

The Oilers have RNH and.... I guess Jesse is 4th and he had 25 pts in 55 games, all but a few of them next to the best player in the world.

MAF was honestly straight up bad in a lot of those early years, and the Pens D was built pretty similar to the Oilers. Not a big difference there.

The depth scoring is the main issue, any Oilers fan will tell you. Right now the game plan against the Oilers is pretty simple - shut down these two guys and you get a guaranteed win. That said it is very fixable - get a few good wingers. They finally have the cap space to do it.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Watching the Habs-Leafs game, it's easy to get some CBJ flashbacks. Habs struggle to generate any offense and their PP looks abysmal. I was always a fan of Anderson, but he was pretty invisible tonight.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

the best prospect dealt in the Duchene deal has now left Ottawa to go back to the KHL.

Some ammo in case somebody tried to tell me the Jackets “sold the farm” to get him.

It's funny or ironic or something that this comes out the same day the team releases a piece on its trio of younger forwards. Bemstrom and Texier were the guys who made Davidsson and Abramov expendable in the fist place. I admit I did not expect we would miss either of them and for once I was right. Of course, I figured these guys would more than replace them in the system and while that's true, they haven't distinguished themselves either.

Sorry. Some of this belongs in a more appropriate thread, but the juxtaposition really caught me.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lol get f***ed Pittsburgh

Most of you know I’m a native Pittsburgher and grew up a die-hard Pens fan. And while I’ve grown to hate them as a rival of sorts for the CBJ, I still default to them once the Jackets are out of the picture.

Except for this year. J*ff C*rt*r will do that to you. That and when you read a poster on the Pens board say he’s glad the Pens added that guy and not Hall because Hall is a guy who quit on his team.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Well, so much for that Battle of Florida. Looks like turning to Bob in net started them off on the wrong foot and they never really recovered. Playing musical chairs in goal isn't a good idea.

I don't see any team knocking off Tampa, except maybe Colorado.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well, so much for that Battle of Florida. Looks like turning to Bob in net started them off on the wrong foot and they never really recovered. Playing musical chairs in goal isn't a good idea.

I don't see any team knocking off Tampa, except maybe Colorado.

Playoff Bob is a trainwreck in any sweater. Glad we didn't spend 70M on that guy. Wish we had spent 100M on Bread though.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Their blueline and goaltending is a lot closer to vintage Penguins than their depth scoring is.

Crosby and Malkin had some good wingers - Hornqvist, Guentzel, Rust, Kessel. Or in the first cup run - Guerin, Kunitz, Sykora, Fedotenko, Satan, Talbot, etc...

The Oilers have RNH and.... I guess Jesse is 4th and he had 25 pts in 55 games, all but a few of them next to the best player in the world.

MAF was honestly straight up bad in a lot of those early years, and the Pens D was built pretty similar to the Oilers. Not a big difference there.

The depth scoring is the main issue, any Oilers fan will tell you. Right now the game plan against the Oilers is pretty simple - shut down these two guys and you get a guaranteed win. That said it is very fixable - get a few good wingers. They finally have the cap space to do it.

They better get a goalie and some additional blue line help or that talent is wasted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They better get a goalie and some additional blue line help or that talent is wasted.

Nurse is a solid #1D, Larsson is probably back and potentially Klefbom is coming back too. They should have their share of solid top 4 D. You do know that Mike Smith was sensational this year, right? Obviously they'll need a better tandem option if they go with him again next year, but he wasn't any kind of problem this year.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Lol Toronto came all the way back to force OT and then blew it by giving up a 2 on 0 breakaway. Habs stay alive.

I get the excitement with Caulfield. He has the vision to intercept the no-look pass in his own end and then makes the extra pass for the game winner. Habs fans have a reason to be really excited about that kid.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We have half a dozen guys that could play middle six LW. I'd be excited to have Hofmann give it a shot though.
I’m all for signing him we may have a lot of guys who can play middle six LW - just none that score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad